1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tapping/clicking noise when braking.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by slfare, Jun 23, 2023.

Tags:
  1. slfare

slfare Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four

My 2014 Prius is making a tapping/clicking noise when braking. I can notice this when stopping at a stop sign with the windows down and the noise echoes from the parked cars.

I took it to Toyota last year and they said the brakes are fine, however with the kind of operation they run there I am not convinced and thinking they are giving me the runaround. Or, is this normal?

I’ve heard other 3rd Gen Prius brake before and they don’t make this noise. What could it be?

Thank you.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Could be a rock in the rotor, or even a bad axle.
    Take it to a mechanic who will put it on a lift and go over everything with you

3. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can't really help much, but I will say I had that exact same noise for a while and I could never figure it out. I checked the brakes multiple times (almost sure it was from the front). It went away eventually and unfortunately it wasn't really on my mind at the time, so I'm not sure when exactly. Only thing I've done to the front brakes since the noise is bleed them (the old fashioned way) and grease the slider pins, but I think the noise went away before I did both those. I would never trust a dealership, but in this case I bet they truly couldn't figure it out and probably most mechanics would say your brakes are fine so don't worry about it. If you do figure it out, let me know.

4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is the clicking more prominent in turns at low speed?

5. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What would that imply?

6. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Have it for years . Annoying but I’ve had no problems.

7. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same. I’ve owned my Prius for 8 years and can’t remember when I didn’t have the low speed slowdown clicks. Doesn’t happen all the time, and also can’t hear it unless like the op said where the windows are down, gradually slowing down to something like a stop sign. There are a lot of noises on the Prius where it feels like chasing ghosts…

Xterra72 likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Likely thinking of CV joints.

9. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    CV joint(s). It's apparently not a problem, as long as they're quiet under power. My Mazda made similar clicks, even when not in a curve.

10. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I see, that must be my case because it's definitely more prevalent on turns. I wonder if that's why my front end sounds like it's about to come apart when I drive on bumpy gravel roads, despite my suspension and steering feeling quite solid?