1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tax Credit Gone? Did Putnam Toyota Lie?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by pablosfo, May 14, 2006.

1. pablosfo

pablosfo New Member

I just got off the phone with a salesman at Putnam Toyota (Burlingame, CA) who told me that the tax credit for new Prius was no longer available because the manufacturing limit had been reached. He was trying to sell me a used vehicle, so had incentive to distort the facts -- but this was outrageous.

Of course, I told him that even if the limit had been reached, the rules allow for tax credits well beyond that date. He claimed "That's what the guys in new car sales are telling me." I got off the phone as quickly as I could, but this raised a question in my mind: Does anyone know if the 60k limit has been reached?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    as of the end of april it was just over 50k. this works on a per-quarter basis. assuming the 60k limit is reached by the end of june, the full credit will last through september, after which it will decrease in increments as it phases out.

the BS meter is going wild here...

3. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

4. blbgp

blbgp New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 14 2006, 11:11 AM) [snapback]255251[/snapback]</div>
    So please educate me here....you're saying it works on a quarterly basis, so even if the limit is reached today, as long as I still buy one before September I'm ok? Or would I have to buy before the end of June?

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the quarter in which the limit is reached and the quarter after both qualify for 100% credit. so you're good until the end of sep if the limit is reached before the end of june. then it goes to a percentage of the credit.

6. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

http://www.ase.org/content/article/detail/2654#phase_out

The full tax credit is available for all Toyota hybrids purchased between January 01, 2006 and September 30, 2006 (subject to AMT for now).

Even after September 30, part of the credit is still available.
    50% for 2 additional quarters and 25% for the 2 quarters after that.

7. qwicsvt

qwicsvt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kiloran @ May 16 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]256355[/snapback]</div>
    Kilorian

Very helpful link, thanks for your post.