1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tax per mile

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by kc8hyg, Jan 5, 2013.

1. kc8hyg

kc8hyg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    JMD likes this.
  2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It should. When all considerations of privacy and good policy are secondary to clawing as much revenue out of every citizen doing something constructive, then the government has become a parasite.

Hardly any different than taxing non-smokers a fee for how much they breath. This being due to the loss in revenue from folks giving up smoking. (Actually, maybe NO different depending on what smokes.)

3. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Oh, come on!! Revenues are needed to build & maintain roads. Up till now, this has mostly been from gas tax, but as the amount of revenue decreases from gas tax as vehicles become more efficient (or don't use gas at all) this revenue needs to be made up in other ways. Which is fairer to the general taxpayer: 1) Tax by mile for those not using much (or any) gas; or 2) Tax everyone, no matter how much, or what, they drive? Or perhaps the state should not bother maintaing the roads at all??

R-P likes this.
  4. rico567

rico567 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "dhancock" has it correct. Despite the price of motor fuel, vehicles in general have become more efficient to the point that there are significant shortfalls in the revenue needed to build and maintain the roads. The likely solution is just going to be a per-mile tax. It's simple, and while one might argue that to place a flat tax on all vehicles, regardless of efficiency, isn't particularly fair, it at least has the virtue of simplicity, which would stand in stark contrast to the rest of our tax code......

5. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Simpler to just raise the tax on gas. It will have the side benefit of pushing people toward more fuel efficient vehicles. I think the gas tax should be a percentage of the price of gas, the higher the price the more revenue.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The issue was entirely with the method of raising revenue, not with the need. Taxes on what we buy is OK. Taxes on what we do is entirely different. Most all methods raising revenue based on what we do provides the government with both an excuse and need to monitor individual behavior and decisions.....which requires even more revenue to keep everyone under the microscope.

ThaSaint likes this.
  7. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What is wrong with taxing electricity or any power purchase? Again when the discussion shifts into the "the ends justify the means", we have missed the point.

8. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How about taxes on what we USE?? Perhaps a toll booth every 5 miles on each and every road, and the toll based on the weight (equating to wear and tear on the road) of the vehicle.

9. rico567

rico567 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The early days of road building in the U.S. were not public, but private. Companies built turnpikes (the name of the gate that stopped vehicles at the entrance) and collected tolls. Early free enterprise, perhaps we need to return to that.

10. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So, I take it that your vote would to just let the roads decay?

11. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm in California and it appears that the Golden State has already stopped maintaining and repairing the roads and highways. BTW; are gas taxes based on a fixed FE per gallon purchased or a percentage of the per gallon price?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    o/p, you should move to a more progressive state.:cool:

13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the system to maintain the roads should be fixed before we tax more and pour it down the black hole.

acdii and ThaSaint like this.
  14. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Increase the tax on gas. At the moment the cost of gas is less than the price we ALL pay. The real cost of gas should be somewhere around $15.00 / gal.

Giving tax subsidies to encourage efficient cars, and then taxing them more is just plain stupid.

sdtundra likes this.
  15. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the proper measure is weight squared, but I am not sure.

bwilson4web likes this.
  16. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    And what is wrong with "the system to maintain the roads". The major problem that many of us see (as evidenced by our decaying infrastructure) is not funding enough maintenance (though this varies considerably from state to state).

17. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No more taxes. Put gov on a diet.

acdii and usnavystgc like this.
  18. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd rather they just icrease the state and federal gas taxes enough to offset the short term losses and eventually increase the taxes on electricity to offset the long term shift.

Screw trying to figure out who does what, just tax the source(s) of energy and let the cost/benefit of each power source fall where it may.

And while we are at it adjust the rates higher on water, electric, natural gas and lower the "monthly service charge" or "billing fee". It's insane that if I use zero water for the month my bill is 80% as high as it is when I use thousands of gallons of water. Similar issues with other metered services though I haven't yet been able to get the minimum bill on electric to approach my average usage so close like the water bill does.

Or in short: Let me save money by using less, I can't increase my income so don't punish me for trying to save.

R-P and fuzzy1 like this.
  19. kc8hyg

kc8hyg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i just hope that they don't do this in ohio,but they might,it would no longer be cost effective to own a prius.might as well get a gas hog and go along with the status quo.we really have a twisted bureaucracy in this country.if they would itemize their expenses for the public we could see where the taxes and fees are going.

20. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The cost to build a road is much higher than maintaining the road. Don't create more taxes for already built roads. Stop giving tax payers money to foreign governments and redistribute to infrastructure in America.

acdii, Philatc and ThaSaint like this.