1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taxation DOES work for energy conservation

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by 2k1Toaster, Aug 23, 2011.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So as I and many other people have been saying, if you want to make people conserve energy, tax it more.

I overheard a conversation today from on of my cubicles between 2 co-workers. One of which is moving to California from Colorado. This guy is a staunch republican, global warming denier, drives a monstrous SUV, and in general doesn't give a crap about any hippie earth thing. (Should fit right in to the just-outside of san fransisco area I know he is moving too :eek:)

Anyways, he was telling the other guy about how they charge tiers for electricity and at his current usage of 3400KWh/mo would definitely put him in the higher bracket.

All of a sudden he is talking about adding solar panels, converting the new house's heating system to be more efficient, switching to CFL lighting, turning the AC down, and pretty much adjusting his whole lifestyle so he doesn't get charged out the wazoo.

Where we are now, electricity is 1 tier and cheap at just under 11cents per KWh. The zone and tier he will be in (in CA) is between 30cents and 34cents a KWh unless he does something to conserve.

It is funny how none of these things would hurt him to do now, but for some reason he didn't want to or refused outright to do before money was the issue...

Tax electricity, water, natural gas, and gas much much more and people might start listening. Money talks.

And if I was a pollster I would add that 100% of the focus group feels this way. :D

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, his poor neighbours. The new ones, I mean. :rolleyes:

Don't think of it as a tax. Think of it as pricing commodities to match their costs. But yes, we'd all act differently, and the world's economy would also be different.

3. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah... I can't imagine how that is going to work out for him, but we'll see.

I would agree that it is pricing to match their actual costs, but tax is the easiest way without changing things to make it so. And I would rather give $4/gal in just tax to an entity that has some noodley appendages in environmental protection and the advancement of clean energy.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Removing tax subsidies would be even easier, at least in terms of administration. Maybe not 'easier' in terms of changing people's minds, though.

5. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Of course it does - when something costs signifigantly more it will affect behavior.

The OP's post also indirectly points out the problem (in my oppinion the fatal flaw) with this as a solution - the fact that this serves as a regressive tax hurting the most vulnerable members of society - the people who have trouble making it week to week and who could not imagine installing solar to keep being an energy hog.

6. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah but you're wrong. If you are poor, then you get assistance on a different tier.

And believe me, this guy isn't hurting for cash.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Best not to confuse conservation with installing solar. Poor people can learn to not be wasteful, too.

8. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, but there are things that need to be plugged in all the time, like a server. My server at home draws about 300W just sitting there, and when busy goes into the 1200W to 1300W range. This is 24/7/365 and required to be on, and not something than can be conserved. He is planning a solar array with battery backup to run his servers, not the house.

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Taxes have always worked for energy conservation.

Taxes go up, the economy slows down.
    Evil, rich companies lay off employees and produce less...electricity savings!
    The newly unemployed no longer have to drive to work.... gas savings!
    Cars get repossessed. No longer clog roads and pollute….pollution savings!
    Lots of unemployed people have to give up living in horribly inefficient single family detached dwellings, and move into more efficient apartment complexes...all kinds of savings here!!! :)

SAVE THE PLANET!!!
    RAISE TAXES NOW!!! :rolleyes:

10. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is all FUD and has been proven wrong mathematically many times over and failed over 8 years of tyranny.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK.....lets pretend that I'm 180-degrees out of phase for a moment. It could happen you know. I sling wires for a living, and I am in NO way an economist.
    Please tell me where and how I'm wrong.
    All throughout the Lebanese Goat-Grab that was the debt ceiling debate, the "pundifs" kept saying that raising taxes during an economic slowdown isn't a cool thing to do.
    I simply took them at their word.

Pray tell.....how does raising taxes improve the economy, other than eliminating the 40-something percent deficit perhaps??

12. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Think of it this way. You pay $X for service Y now through a private company. Instead you could pay incrementally more taxes and in total pay less than $X and receive the same if not better service Y instead provided through the government or from a private company with a federal discount.

Insert $30/mo for X and trash service for Y.
    Insert $900/mo for X and healthcare for Y
    Insert $5000/semester for X and university tuition for Y

A healthy population is more productive.
    An educated population is more productive and in the end profitable.

And to top it off, you reduce the deficit. That is just one way. Give it some thought and you may start to see it. Spoonfeeding never helps anyone.

13. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Actually, this sounds a bit like that "Bush v. Gore" thing that happened years ago. Gore talked the talk about AGW and energy conservation but didn't walk the walk. Bush on the other hand did both, he lived a very Eco friendly home while Gore lived in a house that consumed over 12Kw of electricity per month IIRC. Just like then the left mocked him about his environmental record but now that he's out of the spotlight the left has just retargeted it's spew on republicans/conservatives in general.

As to the efficiency of raising taxes to increase energy conservation, all you're doing is hurting the poor and small businesses.

How dare you call the president a "pundit" you racist! :p

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ You live in a fantasy world Treb. Bush the little took 6 years to acknowledge that the Earth was warming, 7 years to admit that AGW was real, but never stated that AGW was the main driver of climate change. His White House policy regarding carbon emissions was VOLUNTARY INDUSTRY REDUCTIONS.

hahahahahahhahahahhahahha

Give me a fu*king break.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ouch.

The server in my house eats 11 watts doing nothing, and ~ 13 watts when busy. In any case, power sucking server monsters at home are probably not the main worry of poor people. Not turning off power sucking desktop computers and monitors can be.

16. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What are you running? 13W is Atom range. Do you mean just media server or personal file server?

17. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm late to this thread, but I've advocated diverting US income tax to the pump to help reflect the real cost of driving. The nation's tax revenue would still be the same - just more of it from gas taxes. The effect is Americans would pay attention to what they drive and how they drive.

I'm not addressing the debt talks - that's a whole another story.

18. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What do you mean that the poor get assistance on a different tier? Yes in some cases there are tiers for energy consumption - typically with electric and natural gas, but they are the exception rather than the rule. There are also assistance programs, but they just reduce the sting to the very poor.

I know the guy in your original post is not hurting for money - that is exactly the point. Instead of higher prices causing him to change his behavior he has gone in the opposite direction - blowing money so he can consume more. Putting in solar so you can keep your personal consumption high is the antithesis of being green.

So how is my my point about energy taxes being regressive wrong? A regressive tax is one that puts a bigger burden on the poor rather than the rich, and that is exactly what energy taxes do. So, the cost of energy goes up and those of us lucky enough not to be poor can buy more energy efficient items - cars, appliances, etc and can weather the impact of the price increases to energy as well as all of the other things impacted - food, consumer good etc. We might need to tighten our belts but we get through it. For the very poor they are ravaged. They can not afford to buy new items and they can not afford the increased price of everything else.

1 person likes this.
  19. rpatterman

rpatterman Thinking Progressive

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The OP is more about tiered pricing than it is about taxation.
    The more of a valuable resource you use, the more you pay per unit.

Tier pricing is easy to impliment for a metered utility such as water, natural gas or electric and is often done. Drought states can penalize wasteful water use in times of drought just based on monthly billings.

Keeping the lowest tier affordable so everyone can have the basic needs (lights, refrigeration and cooking) is fair and non regressive.
    If you want luxuries (giant tv, ac, monster server/computer) you pay at a higher rate per unit.

Increasing the gasoline tax is regressive in that it hits low income people hard in that some gas is needed to get to work, grocery etc.
    I wish there was an easy way to impliment tier pricing for petro.

20. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fuel is $5 Liter ($20 gallon) in many parts of Europe. People are conservative and use fuel wisely.

1 person likes this.