1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taxes and Fees? Which ones are a scam? Insiders, plz?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by whitespider, May 23, 2007.

1. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello. I was wondering, for all you insiders or toyota salesperson;

Of the fees paid on top of the price agreed for the car, which fees are unnessicary or even flat out a scam if included? One I was told about was toyoguard, that if they include that in the fees, it's not need... otehr times i've heard the dealer hold back is actually included, which is flat-out a scam, from my understanding.

Could anyone on the inside give me the power of knowledge for when I go to the dealership and buy my car? :D

I'm fairly new, since i'm 22, but i've been researching and doing my homework for my purchase for a while now and was hopnig for the best information Priuschat had to offer!

2. Enoyls

Enoyls New Member

http://www.edmunds.com is usually a good resource to hit up for what the actual cost and market price of vehicles are. They will also show what fees are standard and if you see a fee not listed there then you should be cautious in buying from that dealer.

3. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Enoyls @ May 23 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]448268[/snapback]</div>
    Is this part of a paid service to get this information, or is it legitimately there?

Any chance it may be mildly partual information, meaning, should I find other sites with simular information to cross reference and be absolutely sure?

4. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitespider @ May 23 2007, 01:18 PM) [snapback]448278[/snapback]</div>
    Having trouble using this to find specifically how they calculate the taxes. I got $1,629 for taxes and such but I don't see the details to that anywhere.

5. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitespider @ May 24 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]449164[/snapback]</div>
    Some states waive the sales tax (or excise tax) for hybrids. I paid no tax in NM. This website has information by state:
    http://go.ucsusa.org/hybridcenter/incentives.cfm

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitespider @ May 23 2007, 12:06 PM) [snapback]448265[/snapback]</div>
    Edmunds is reliable. Also read through www.carbuyingtips.com. NADA is also good. (www.nadaguides.com). The taxes and fees depend on your location. Call or visit your state's motor vehicle office or find their web site and ask what one needs to do and pay when buying a new car. In NJ there is 7% sales tax and a tire fee--something like $1.50 per tire (maybe more now). There is a registration and or title fee. The only legitimate fee is the destination charge printed on the window sticker. Toyota charges that to the dealer so they charge it to you. ALL of the other fees are in place to get you to cover the dealer's overhead (the cost of doing business) or to increase profit. Also be careful that the legitimate fees and taxes are not inflated.