1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Teased about Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lizaoreo, Nov 13, 2006.

1. lizaoreo

lizaoreo New Member

Has anyone here ever been teased about wanting a Prius? Did the teasing stop after you got one and the teaser got to see what all the hype was about?

Just a curious question from a guy who gets teased a lot about wanting a Prius over something sportier or cheaper. Not that the teasing gets to me, I know the Prius is the car for me.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    good hearted stuff, would've been worse if I'd said I was getting a minivan. Now days folks just ask me what my mileage is and how they've been thinking about getting one too.

Got over being teased when I was in 3rd grade.

3. kDB

kDB New Member

The guys I worked with did until they rode in it. A few others have, but their cars are nothing to brag about. Anyone that I have let ride in my Prius has really liked it.

There is only one person that still doesn't like the car. My father. He wanted me to get a Saleen Focus or Mustang. I was actually undecided on whether I was going to get a Mustang or a Prius for a while. The full employee discount from Ford was what kept the Mustang in my head.

I bought the Prius and haven't regretted it yet. Sure I would have been teased less if I would have got the Mustang, but I'm sure there would have been more comments about it's gas mileage.

4. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

The only kind of teasing I get is from those smart asses who tell me, "You know, priuses are overrated. They don't give you 60/50 mpg as they promise to"

My reply: "Yeah I know. My average is only about 45 mpg which sucks big time. So what's your mpg?"

That shuts them up. hehe ;)

5. CMonster

CMonster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got a lot of light hearted teasing when I first got the car. I took some of them for a ride, let the worst teaser drive it, and haven't heard much since. Except the occasional "So I owe you a quarter for gas?" when I drive us somewhere. :)

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I tell them I get teased about a lot of stuff besides the prius. The other big thing I get teased about is this worsening limp I seem to be developing ever since I got my prius.

The doc says it's from sitting awkwardly on that $3500 stack of $20's that keep accumulating in my wallet over the last 266 days since I got my prius.

:lol: :p :p :lol:

7. dreichla

dreichla New Member

My neighbor used to tease me about my car - then he bought a Honda Fit - now everyone makes fun of his little red matchbox car. I just keep my mouth shut.

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "The prius is overrated, nobody gets the 60/52 mpg, blah blah" ...
    My answer? "Yeah, sucks when I've been holding mid-sixties for most
    of the summer and blowing the curve, huh?"
    </tinyviolin>
    _H*

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I"m sure it depends on where you like and where you work and the type of work you do. I work with relatively intellectual engineers who love the car for its technology. We also have a "Green Team" I work with who respect the conservational aspect. Like Evan said, the teasing is good hearted. For example, when someone sees a new hybrid political cartoon they cut it out and tape it - anonymously - to my cube wall.

And like Hobbit, there are a few here and there who ask if I really and truly ever actually get 55 MPG. I tell them, "yeah but not all the time; when it's cold my mileage drops and I'll only get 55." :D

10. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just wait until the price of petrol hits $3.00 a gallon. I recall the price of gasoline rising as I spent "just" 5 weeks waiting for our Prius. The only people teasing me about the Prius at work are the ones driving guzzlers; I usually just walk away.

11. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CMonster @ Nov 13 2006, 09:20 AM) [snapback]348135[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! And you reply "Not yet - I'll let you know when the tab gets that high"?

12. curtissac

curtissac New Member

Surprisingly, I don't recall getting any teasing at all about my interest in buying one, or after I actually did buy it. I was able to do the math for the amount of driving I did and it "penciled out" to be a good choice.

13. lizaoreo

lizaoreo New Member

Heh, my friend at work teases me about all kinds of stuff, but when he can squeeze a Prius tease out, he will. It usually entails him saying, "If someone would give you X or a Prius, which would you take", in which turn I say the Prius and then he comments that X would sale for Y amount and I could have sold it and bought three Priuses. Crazy stuff like that.

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ Nov 13 2006, 12:21 AM) [snapback]348057[/snapback]</div>
    Well, if it's any consolation, *I* would have teased you about getting the Mustang...and the possibility of needing to overcompensate for other, ummmmmm...deficiencies...
    [laughing]

15. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My 52-year old uncle said, "That's a sure sign of your liberalism" when I pulled my Prius up beside his cherry red BMW Z3.

I just smiled and said, "Damn skippy. And that's a sure sign of your trolling for 20 year old girls" while pointing at his car.

16. Jahn

Jahn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Nov 14 2006, 04:49 PM) [snapback]349047[/snapback]</div>
    ^HAHAHA!

well, while i was waiting for my touring 07 driftwood pearl prius [ got it back in oct 14 ] my friend tommy made fun of me endlessly -- calling me a homosexual and weak for wanting such an ugly car. he then asked me if i had 30 grand to throw around why not get a lexus IS? to make a long story short, i told him in 30 or so years.. if you don't have skin cancer you will know why. when i got my prius, [ best flipping car in the world! ] i took him for a ride; i never got another complaint from him ever again. :D

17. katherinecreason

katherinecreason New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lizaoreo @ Nov 13 2006, 01:09 AM) [snapback]348049[/snapback]</div>
    Why would you care? :rolleyes:

18. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a colleague that always gives me a tough time about the car. I work in Sales, so you can imagine the environment.

It's always in good fun though. He's lived in Chile, and is convinced the car looks like the Capibara, the worlds largest rodent, which can be as large as 160 lbs. I just don't see it!

[​IMG]

19. Cox

Cox New Member

Yes, I get teased a lot - but mostly by petrol-heads - I've only had the Prius Touring a week, but to get it I traded in a '02 BMW M3, tuned to 350 bhp, 6 speed manual, that got 20-21 mpg. I love driving, but handing over a hot, smog filled environment to my three kids and other future generations was just too much to bear... plus getting 50.0 mpg on my first tank made me smile : ]