1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Teaser: Auto-lock after shutdown coming!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by naterprius, Mar 8, 2005.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, I've discovered a method for accomplishing "walk-away" auto-lock after shutting down.

Here's the plan: Build a module that will be powered from the battery, but will watch for the ACC power. When ACC power is cut (vehicle is shut down) start a timer. Once the timer expires, mimic pressing the "lock" button, then shut down the module to prevent draining the battery.

The only thing I need to figure out is how long to wait...

Nate

2. jeepien

jeepien Member

Isn't that already a feature (PASSIVE) in the ECU that just needs to be turned on with the Scantool?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no, you're referring to the auto lock in the event that the car is unlocked and none of the doors open.

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius\";p=\"70714)</div>
    Have it wait 15 seconds. I'd take a module that locked the doors 15 seconds after starting the car. As long as the timer restarts on all main-power related events and when the dome light comes on, I think I could live with it.

I get in, and 15 seconds later the doors lock. I get out, and 15 seconds later the doors lock. The key STAYS in *my* pocket, so I'd be fine.

Let me know when you're ready to ship...

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeepien\";p=\"70747)</div>
    Passive only arms the alarm, it doesn't lock the doors. That's why I reversed it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"70761)</div>
    I don't think he is referring to Auto Re-lock. Passive is another alarm setting that sets the alarm passively: 30 (or whatever) seconds from power off and doors closed.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Sounds like a good start, but I see a problem with it. Unless it acts only one time, it might fight with the car's wanting to unlock when keys are still in the car.

And if it is one-shot, with keys in car, and car unlocks, you'll have to manually lock after getting the keys out.

Also, it won't detect of SKS keys are present and delay locking.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If he's conneciting at the same point as the lock button, the SKS key detection wouldn't be defeated.

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was playing with this last night. I thought that if there is an SKS key inside the vehicle, and I push the "lock" button on the armrest, that the car would unlock shortly thereafter.

I noticed the SKS key red light will blink when I press the "lock" button on the armrest, but I didn't notice the car unlocking. Did I not wait long enough?

Nate

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr\";p=\"70837)</div>
    Never said it would be defeated, but if the auto-lock sensed the lock unlocked or had multi-shot (as opposed to one-shot), then here's the conversation.

Auto: Power off, doors closed, 15 seconds elapsed. Lock.
    SKS: door locked, key still in car, unlock.
    Auto: door should be locked. Lock
    SKS: door locked, key still in car, unlock.
    auto: door shold be locked. Lock.
    SKS: No, the key is still in the car. unlock.
    Auto: DOOR SHOULD BE LOCKED! LOCK
    SKS: KEY STILL IN CAR STUPID! UNLOCK!
    auto: I don't care if the key is in the car! LOCK!
    SKS: And you don't belong here. unlock.
    Ad-nausium.

I don't see a way to detect SKS state, or passive alarm state or I might be able to develop something.

10. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If one uses the dome light as the key to auto lock the doors, why would the above fight be happening?

Heck, that could use the light switch as a lock deactivator...

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, does the SKS unlock the doors if you try to lock while in the car? I'll have to try mine again later tonight...

Nate

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I believe so, but I will check for specific situations, with manual key in hand so I don't get locked out!

13. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So Mike, how about I lock doors 15 seconds after starting the car, and auto-lock 90 seconds after shutting down?

Would you like to be the first buyer? How does $75 with free UPS ground shipping sound?

Nate

14. Stocky

Stocky New Member

Auto-lock on shutdown sounds fine, but is there a way to start your 15 seconds lock-down from the time the vehicle first started to move?

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not without driving up the cost. How about a longer timer? I can do that without changes to the design...

For my wife, I'm building one that locks 2 minutes after startup, and locks 4 minutes after shutdown. This is quite long; but it allows me to start the car, wait for her to load the baby, the baby's bag, etc, then get in the front seat.

After shutdown, four minutes is enough time to gather the baby, the baby's stuff, the stroller, etc, and then shut all the doors.

I'm using it in conjunction with the passive arming feature of the alarm.

Nate

16. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    By the way, it is possible to lock your keys in the car with this module.

God bless Toyota, they won't let me push the SKS lock button unless I'm standing near the door with a smart key! When you push this button, the system looks for a smart key in the car and refuses to lock if one is found. It also beeps for a very long time if a door is open.

So why does it allow you to lock the doors if the smart key is inside? Because it thinks you are sitting in the car! The only workaround I have come up with is if you have SKS, and the smart key is in the hatch, AND the setting is set correctly in the SKS computer (the default setting), and the module locks the doors, then you are able to pull for a few seconds on the hatch and the car will open (if you set open to ALL for hatch, otherwise just the hatch opens).

I will try relocating the hatch inner sensor to under the center console to see if this will allow you to open the hatch if the smart key is left in the cabin. If this works, I will provide instructions and possibly extension harnesses to relocate this yourself.

If I pull this off, it will be the ultimate smart key enhancement. Without the hatch sensor relocation, you run the risk of locking yourself out. Keep in mind even if I do pull off a successful hatch sensor relocation, it will now be possible to lock the keys in the hatch since there will be no way to detect the smart key.

I really perceive this to be more of a problem for persons who carry their keys in their coat, their briefcase or their purse. Anyone who keeps their smart key in their pocket runs no risk of being locked out.

Nate

17. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, I need more input, in order to keep costs down, simplify installation, and meet apparent interest, I've decided to go with delayed lock upon Accessory-On and delayed lock on Accessory-Off.

The only question is how long to wait?

For my car, I'm going with 2 minutes at startup and 4 minutes after shutdown.

I can go with any number of seconds from 0-255. (Zero is not that useful on shutdown).

I may be able to opt for programming each unit as per customer requests, but that would delay shipping.

Let's have some votes!

Nate

18. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You should be checking for all doors closed as well. If you are using a microcontroller, that should not cost any more.

19. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Coastal's module doesn't do all that and isn't much cheaper, so it sounds good except for the Install Factor. I'd have to know I could do it or some generally-handy person around here could.

I can be brave NOW, since my tax refund just arrived...

Oh, per your request for more feedback, I'd like the doors to lock almost immediately after starting, and since you aren't going to use the dome light coming on then going off to signal my entrance or exit, I'll probably get by on a 2-minute delay on stopping the car since when I'm not collecting groceries or whatever off the floor in the front I usually just get out of the car immediately...

20. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Mike, the installation will be as easy as Coastal Dave's kit. In fact, three of the four wires will be very similar. I've studied the Prius Electrical Wiring Diagram, ant there are only two really easy places to attach to the lock wire, one on the right side kick panel, and one on the left. (There may be one more in the center; I'll have to recheck the diagram).

I have tested the module, everything works well, I just need to find the simplest wiring option and make instructions.

Nate