1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Absolutly Red Hot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Does Toyota recommend replacing seatbelts after a major rear impact? I was rear ended at 65 mph by a Drunk Hit & Run Driver, $9,000.00 plus in rear end damage. Does anyone have anything on seat belts?
    PS. everyone is sore but still alive and well. My Prius C not so good. Insurance will not Total it, so the repairs will go forward. Only 10,000 miles on it. Hit & Run Drivers Suck!

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved from the Prius v forum to the Prius c forum.

3. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry about your battered C. Good to hear no one was hurt. It certainly would be good practice to replace the belts and tensioners after such an accident, unless there is a reliable way to test them to be sure they will work properly in the future. But not sure what Toyota standard practice is. Hope all is resolved quickly for you.

4. dick_larimore

dick_larimore Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How do you get rear ended and sustain $9K in damage and the guy who hits y0u is able to drive away from the scene of the accident? Was it an armored car? In any event, if you did not fly into the sea belts and load them up really hard, they don't need to be replaced. Belts need to be replaced it a front end collision when they rub thru the belt holders with so much friction that the fibers in the belt begin to melt. You can actually see the stretch marks in the belt. When hit from behind, the belts receive no stress loading. Your spine, however, likely did get stressed.

5. CAlbertson

CAlbertson Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    If the belts were stressed to the point were yu need to replace them then I'd expect deep bruises on your body from the belts. If you were not bruised by the belts they did not take much force. In a rear-ender I think the seats took the force, then maybe you bounced forward

6. KaliforniaKid

KaliforniaKid 2013 Prius v Five 2012 Priuc c Four

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Actually, the shoulder belts would lock-up on a hard enough hit and should not retract post impact. That's the design and that's when insurance companies are required (forced) to replace them.

cknfts and RocMills like this.