1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Technical (and legal) advice on HV battery replacement? SF Bay Area

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zombie_Elvis, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Zombie_Elvis

Zombie_Elvis New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a total noob when it comes to car maintenance, so thanks in advance for everyone's wisdom! I've reviewed a few similar threads and have a general sense of my options, but would still appreciate the explicit guidance some of you can offer.

tl;dr: Toyota dealer says codes P0A80 (weak cells) and P3018 (block 8 too weak) mean it's time for a $3,274.88 HV battery replacement. What are my other options in the SF Bay Area?

Summary of context for the battery's demise:
    • 2005 Prius with 165,000+ miles
    • Catalytic converter stolen on May 6th (no dashboard lights prior to this)
    • 1-2 months elapse coordinating with GEICO and waiting for the catalytic converter replacement to finish
    • The car rolls out of the shop with new warning lights and codes: the HV battery is now dead (because of how long it was sitting?)
    Two main questions:
    • What are my options for replacing the HV battery for less than the quoted price? I have no car DIY experience, so please recommend specific PC members or shops in the Bay Area (Oakland) that can help. I found ProjectLithium and NewPriusBatteries, for example, but would love advice on how to find a local shop to do installs if I went that route.
    • Is it worth pursuing the liability route with my insurance to see if they'll cover the cost of the battery replacement? I can argue that the HV battery is dead because of delays caused by insurance and repair, but I'm pessimistic that they'll agree and cover it.

bisco likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Charging and balancing your battery pack after it's been sitting for a long time is standard operating procedure before starting it. But the thieves would rather tell you that you need a new pack. Problem is OEM replacement packs are on backorder and could be months and that $3200 price is a bit high. You might find a shop that will charge and balance for you via this map here: Dealer Map | Hybrid Automotive Approved Resellers | Hybrid Automotive Or you could buy the equipment and DIY via that website. Alternatively, you could build your own: Build Hybrid Battery Maintenance Gear For Under $100 | PriusChat Or maybe @SFO will see this and can loan you his charger.

Zombie_Elvis likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would pursue the battery claim with insurance. It failed as a result of the catalytic theft and delay in replacement

Zombie_Elvis likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Except the battery is not permanently broken, it just needs a charge and balance.

Zombie_Elvis likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's permanently broken. There is nothing in the repair manual to repair that.

Zombie_Elvis likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So that's why Dorman, GreenBean and GreenTec sell refurbished battery packs for $1600 that is exactly that?

The logic you're using is the same as once a car engine goes bad you can't fix it and have to get a new one. It's BS and it's a huge scam that Toyota built into to hybrid system to maximize profits, rather than repairability.

Apple actually ended up in court for slowing down phones that were older to force people to buy new ones. It's the same scam. Don't get ripped off for no reason!

Zombie_Elvis likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The OP is inquiring on an insurance claim, Toyota is stating the battery needs replacement. He will submit that paperwork and give the phone number of the Toyota dealer suggesting the repair. Toyota does not have a repair option, just a replacement option. That's for insurance purposes.

Zombie_Elvis likes this.
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Insurance company isn't going to cover that because cat repair in California combined with battery replacement is more than blue book value of vehicle... Besides OEM packs are back-ordered for a long, long time so it will be months...

Zombie_Elvis likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A few years ago there was a similar event where the HV battery died as a result of another covered event. Insurance covered that battery

Zombie_Elvis likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the dealer put the new cat in, submit a claim, it can't hurt.

in the meantime, call luscious garage and avi's automotive for quotes.

in the end, you could try reconditioning, or if you don't want to diy, try companies like green bean, but run it through here first, there are a lot of scammers out there.

Zombie_Elvis likes this.
  11. Zombie_Elvis

Zombie_Elvis New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    bisco and PriusCamper like this.
  12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending on what the insurance has to say, the dealer in Walnut Creek usually has the best price for a new OEM battery OTC (they may have the best installed price as well), but call around for other nearby installed pricing and "over the counter" sales of such. Post the least expensive OTC price found, and I'll see if I can do better. If interested, I can assist with the install, and or have 28 spent modules (free!) that can be used for the 'core charge'. Either of the mentioned aftermarket options may work as well, including the installation of such. Be sure to clean up the HV fan when doing the battery replacement.
    Personally concerned with your cat being restolen in the short term, my neighbor just had hers taken (again!!) the day after replacement.
    You're also welcome to experiment with the 'grid charger' setup, though it may not be of much help at this point. Did you have any interest in DIY swapping of the failed module(s), the fix won't last even close to 10+ years, but then it won't cost 1600+ either.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

Zombie_Elvis, PriusCamper and alftoy like this.
  13. Zombie_Elvis

Zombie_Elvis New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I appreciate the concern. I have gated parking in my complex, fortunately.

Cheapest in the East Bay was One Toyota of Oakland, near the Coliseum.
    Battery: $2,149.88
    Labor: 4hours * $205/hr = $820
    Total: $2,969.88

If insurance won't cover the dealership replacement, then getting your help with DIY swapping modules or installing something like NewPriusBatteries sounds like a good option (unless you think the OEM is worth the difference).

I'll follow up when I hear back and very likely take you up on one of these generous offers. Thank you in advance for your help here!

SFO likes this.
  14. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was that the "over the counter" price for the HV traction battery, not including tax, or the refundable core charge of around $1350.

Zombie_Elvis likes this.
  15. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This situation can usually be quickly resolved just by force charging the battery, if it's desired to get the car back on the road. It doesn't need to be complicated.

As an original battery ages, the 28 individual modules tend to "wear" differently. Each one develops a different "self-discharge" characteristic over time. This is when a battery loses charge during storage. If the car sits for a while, the self discharge may be enough to trigger a battery code. Very often, this can be overcome merely by starting the car, putting it into drive, holding the brake and giving it gas to keep the engine running so it charges the battery. Keep it charging until it's high blue or green on the display. Then turn the car off, disconnect the 12v battery for a minute to reset all codes. Restart the car and drive on. A weak module that shows up after sitting 2 MONTHS may very well never show up again for years when the car is driven normally.

#15 TMR-JWAP, Jul 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Zombie_Elvis and alftoy like this.
  16. Zombie_Elvis

Zombie_Elvis New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Insurance claim filed . I'm attaching the diagnostic my local Toyota dealer ran, which shows pack 8 about 1.3V lower than the rest.

Diag.jpg

That quote does not include the core charge fee, which would be $1300 more as you say. Not 100% on whether it includes tax.

Thank you for the detailed advice. This sounds quite doable, even for someone of my skill level, so I'll give it a shot over the weekend and report back.

I need to pick it up from the dealer. Could driving it a couple miles home damage the battery in its current state, or should I have AAA tow it before trying the above charging procedure?

SFO likes this.
  17. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do try the force charge, but given the 1.3v difference, you likely have a failed cell in one of those 2 modules. Those DTCs may return again.
    Driving home should be (mostly) fine, just drive slower with no heavy gas or sudden braking. Best to do the force charge at home in case you have an issue with a dirty throttle body after resetting the 12v battery, that way you aren't stuck at the dealership etc.
    The force charge should only take a few minutes at most.

To clarify, with the vehicle "ready", engage the parking brake (safety 3rd), press and continue to hold down the brake pedal with your left foot, select 'D', press down on the gas pedal with your right foot, watch the MFD (center display screen) for a change in the HV battery SOC (state of charge), keep charging until "...it's high blue or green on the display. Then turn the car off, disconnect the 12v battery for a minute to reset all codes. Restart the car and drive on...". It will take 2 attempts to start the vehicle after reconnecting the 12v source, power cycle it once (on/off), then it will start normally the second attempt.
    Not all dealers will sell a HV battery OTC, so best to confirm that you can walk with the part and then have 30 days to return the core.

#17 SFO, Jul 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  18. Zombie_Elvis

Zombie_Elvis New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Technical question that's a little over my head:

The insurance rep wants to know when the code for the failing traction battery started to determine liability (i.e. whether the code happened between the cat theft and the repair being done). I called the Toyota rep at the dealership that pulled the above detailed diagnostic, but he told me that gen 2 computers don't timestamp code start time, so the insurance rep's request is impossible.

Is it true that the metadata for the code that shows when the code first started was added in a later generation?

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the sitting is what probably sent an already weak battery over the edge. if gecko caused the sitting, they should accept responsibility. if the repair shop caused the sitting, you're probably out of luck.

$2100 for an oem is a pretty good price, if they have one in stock. $800. is about double what they should charge