1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Technical requirements to instal ORIGINAL Toyota rear view camera

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mandrei83, Jun 23, 2009.

1. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys,

I've found on some salvage yards some Prius cars which have rear view camera, and those companies sell the cameras for 2-300USD. What do you think about the price? In Romania, the rear view camera WITHOUT the damn VAT 19% cost 900USD, at Toyota importer!!!:jaw: I don't want to pay so much on this camera!:frusty:
    Also, I've opened previously a topic http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...a-prius-rear-view-camera-where-procure-2.html regarding how and where to procure the camera. If someone can give me suggestions on that topic, I would appreciate.

I would like to know if something else is missing from electric/electronic part of a normal Prius without rear view camera, excluding the screws and the camera body itself. Does it have all the electrical wires connected from the back to the MFD?

Does other board or box is missing and needs to be buy with the camera? The camera just needs to be plugged inside a socket and works directly? :confused:

You have in attach how the camera body looks..

I'm waiting your reply with interest, please someone clarify for me this..

Best regards,
    Andrei

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It appears that the camera plugs into the IQ1 wiring harness that then connects to wiring harness connector C that plugs into the MFD. Since you have a navigation system your MFD should be compatible with the camera.

I suppose you will need to pull off the black plastic panel over your hatch interior to see if you can find the mating connector for the camera. You may also want to refer to the techinfo documents available on the Toyota Europe website.

If the salvage yards that you have found are in Europe, then no problem. If they are in the US, you may find that they will not sell to customers outside of North America.

1 person likes this.
  3. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are salvage yards in US, North America. I've bought different stuff from eBay US, I hadn't any problem. Why to not ship just this small part of the car in Europe?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, once you've decided that your car has the needed wiring harness, give the salvage yard a call and see if they will ship to you. BTW, US MSRP is $770 and the discounted price is $586 at one US dealer:
    http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=213747

Good luck.

5. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've found it with different prices between 200 and 300USD at salvage yards, not from dealers. Just search better and you'll find.. For those interested, I can provide some contacts, 300USD is way to expensive for me.

Anyway, does Prius have everything necessary, just to plug in this camera and everything works fine?

Does it have the supplementary wires or modules for rear view camera?

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I provided the price for a new part so that you can see how much you are saving by buying from a salvage yard.

I previously suggested that you remove the rear hatch black plastic cover (just pull it off with your bare hands) so that you can see for yourself whether a mating connector exists for the camera, or not.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting discussion. Assuming the camera is installed correctly, how do you engage it ?

8. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's enabling automatically when you enter the gear shift in Reverse mode, and from the menu of the MFD. You have an option there which enables it..

Unfortunately I'm not in my country now and I cannot dismantle my Prius, so I prefer to ask someone who knows if Prius has or not the cabling for rear camera already.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Mandrei for the info.
    My '04 Prius model year did not have a camera option in any trim level. I doubt the install and use is that straightforward, but I'll be happy to be wrong ... ?

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The rear camera was installed in most US Prius models starting in model year 2006. Any US 2006 Prius or newer with the navigation system also has the rear camera installed.
    http://www.intellichoice.com/report.../section/packages/type/used/2006/Toyota/Prius

See Monitor, R/V in the option list.

Therefore, you would have to find someone to answer your question, probably another European member, who has a Prius new enough so that the rear camera option was available but not installed, while the nav was installed.

You might be right. I suppose the way to test this in principle would be to activate the rear camera option per the menu that Andrei referred to, then inject a video signal into the appropriate MFD connector and see if a picture appears. You might not get a perfect picture depending upon what video standard is used by Toyota (since different parts of the world observe different analog video standards - NTSC, PAL, or SECAM) but if you at least see a jumbled picture that might be a clue that the MFD is trying to process the video signal provided.

11. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear Patrick & rest of the readers,

I've studied the schematic of the Prius, and I've found some interesting things: the camera is connected directly to MFD in pins 27-30. What meanings have those inputs (as my opinion is):

PIN 27 (V+): it should be +12V. Must be measured by someone or to analyze the schematic to tell us. I don't have nervs to do that..:rip:
    PIN 28 (V-): it should be neither GND (Ground), or neither -12V or something. Maybe I'm wrong, because most of the cameras work with "+" and "GND" power supply. As you can see, it's connected to the shield of the cable, so 95% should be the whole GND of the vehicle.
    PIN 29 (CA+): this is the video input pin into MFD. It's video composite and has the same signal as any video camera from market.
    PIN 30 (CGND): most of the time annotated as Common Ground

If someone knows exactly what it is, please clarify for us..

UPDATE
    (after 10 minutes): Guys, you know what RTFM means?:D Let me tell you: "read the fu*king manual!":cheer2:
    Take a look in archive attached, it says everything you want to know about the rear camera, how to install it, how to troubleshoot it and how it's connected! Also, you have all the explanations of the wires, exactly as I've told you up with 10 rows.:rockon:

Also, read those topics carefully, it says everything about the activation of the camera (see: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/14990-backup-camera-activation.html and) and the front-rear camera install instructions (see: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...tion-front-rear-view-camera-8.html#post325159).

Good luck!

Attached Files: