1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Techstream and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sylvaing, Jan 20, 2024.

1. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So I got a Mini-VCI J2534 cable from Amazon but it came with no drivers (blank CD). I can't find the driver for it anywhere (links are dead). Anybody has the driver for it that they don't mind sharing? In my virtual Windows 10 64 bit session I'm running, the plug appears as a COM3 USB device but Techstream complains with "Error: Unable to connect to VIM".

Thanks.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you contacted seller?

3. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, no response yet.

It's a generic J2534 cable like I saw on Amazon and eBay so I'm assuming it should be the same driver for all of these cheap clone one.

#3 sylvaing, Jan 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    J2534 is a standard for the API between the driver and Techstream. The hardware cable can work any old way, as long as the driver that comes with it knows how to work it, and shows a J2534 face to Techstream. So the cables can be all different at the hardware level. The driver you use has to be one that's intended for that hardware.

5. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, I know, but it looks identical to other cheap Chinese adapters. I wouldn't be surprised if they have the same chip inside, hence why I'm asking. However, the sender replied and will check in Monday.

6. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Supplier responded and sent me a link to download the CD ISO, great ! Except, it's a Chinese site but through the help of Google, I was able to figure out where to click, nice! Well, that brought another page with a client to download and install. Fine, I'll install it in my virtual machine I created for Techstream, no problem, so I thought. It's also in Mandarin but Google is of no help here. So I took a screenshot of the app and sent it to a free OCR translation site. The client needs my phone number to create an account? Nope, not going to happen. I'm returning that crap. That's the reason I buy with Amazon Prime, no return hassle.