1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Techstream cable hardware

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by deis, Jan 9, 2024.

1. deis

deis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Hi again,

Just quickly, and I know it's been answered before, but it's 2024 now, so what's the latest and most accessible way for the enthusiast home mechanic to get Techstream working without buying expensive Toyota recommended hardware?

Other than the free software download (called GlobalTechStream here in the EU) alongside the subscription-based licence key (from 'toyota-tech.eu' site), what specific cable/adapter do I need that would work with the above software on my windows 11 laptop?

The website specifies this standard would work: CAN (capable of ISO 15765, GMLAN and iso 14229), J1850VPW, ISO9141, KWP2000, J2534 (there's also the scary disclaimer with a scary no guarantees if it doesn't work to make you feel obliged to buy their expensive kit, no thanks, I'm skint).

I'm quite happy to pay for the subscription licence to use on the free download if I know there's a reliable interface that's known to work with the EU based (UK) Japanese assembled 2011 Gen 3 Prius and my Windows 11 (64 bit) laptop (including a straightforward driver of course). Am I asking too much?

At the moment, all I have is this Veepeak BLE OBDCheck, it works fine with the Torque app from my phone over BLE. But I suspect this isn't the right interface to work with Techstream since it's a reader only? I don't think it has the J2534 protocol on it either.

What are the current options to get Techstream working as if I'm at the dealer and to see cool stuff about my car, or even to help properly diagnose a possible misfire?
    How much will it cost, and how do I do it?

Thanks again.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Now there are versions of scanners full screen like iPad things you know the ones that have been out for a little while now that can bleed the brakes and do pretty much everything tech can do like an autel ver 5 or 6 can be had now for say $200 something like that if you shop carefully My battery guy says he sees them all the time he's using an version 8 which he only paid like $399 for and I don't even know why he only messes with for the most part Prius.