1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TechStream for Prius 2023?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Maxwell61, Jan 21, 2024.

1. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have someone tried to connect a gen 5 to Techstream?
    Which version of Techstrem will work?
    Which OBD cable have you used?

A number of personalitations only possible at the dealer are present in the owner manual, but the selection of settings will depend on the market. Have you changed any settings?

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been using Techstream 18.08.008. I couldn't get the newer GTS+ to work - seemed to go nuts during profile creation.

Adapter is the Tactrix OpenPort 2.0.

Adjusted a few settings, but some are disappointing. For example, the option to disable the seat check alert gives you continual "alert disabled" nags, so backed that one out.

Some of the options are so opaque you wouldn't know what they do without consulting the technical manuals. And even then...

You can at least find all the stuff in the user manual readily enough.

(And no, there's no way to disable the speed alerts in there that I can see.)

I don't know how much visible options are determined by the car, and how much are determined by the Techstream locale. Would a Japanese Techstream expose more stuff in a European car?

Maxwell61 likes this.
  3. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you bought the software or downloaded for free + activation? I see there's around "free" versions but i'm not sure of the websites..

One of the first i would like to deactivate...

I know, not even in the shop they can deactivate it.
    Please, tell me if you feel the alert coming out of the main speakers or from some dedicated speaker.

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Techstream has always been free to download, but you have to have a paid subscription. Not sure where I got my old Techstream download; I could only find GTS+ on the official site, and it wouldn't work for me. But the official site still generates keys that work with 18.08.008.

You should probably try the current official GTS+ first before digging for old versions:

Toyota-Tech.eu

I suspect you won't like the result of deactivating the seat check - it's somehow even more annoying.

Don't know where the speed alert comes from - haven't checked.

Maxwell61 likes this.
  5. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jeez, i don't know what you mean :)

6. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Side question: For those of you using Techstream in the US region, what's the best cost-effective connector solution? Mongoose Plus? Something else? I'm considering an open box Mongoose Plus Bluetooth on eBay that's just a little bit more than a brand new non-BT model, but I'd hate to drop almost $600US on something that another product could do just as well for $200 or less.

otatrant likes this.
  7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 is a US device for $169.

Home site: Tactrix
    EU importer: Info - 43racing - Tactrix Openport 2.0 Diagnostic & Tuning Adapter

No experience with others, but I went for it based on searches on PriusChat. Seemed the safest budget bet for Techstream, and it's worked fine. (I get the impression of a clunky UI based on a solid comms system, at least).

Used it for changing some config parameters, live monitoring assorted data, and a couple of manual system control tests.

Not Bluetooth, but I'd be a bit wary about using Bluetooth for anything actually interactive rather than a passive monitor. All Toyota's official devices are wired, afaik.

#7 KMO, Jan 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
    Maxwell61 and otatrant like this.
  8. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Guess I'm going to hold off just a bit. Apparently Toyota just got rid of TechStream for something called GTS(Global TechStream?). I'll probably wait until it's been released for a bit to see if they also change TechStream Lite, and whether the existing readers will work with it.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Techstream Lite isn't the name of any software; it's the name of a bundle, where you get the software, a $500-ish dongle you can keep, and a year-long activation key for the software ($1360 value), and pay a discounted price. (It's "lite" because you bring your own laptop instead of letting them also sell you the ruggedized one they'd use.)

But if you aren't running a shop where you'll be using it all year, that bundle probably won't be as "lite" for you as just buying two-day activation keys when you need them.

Crud, I hadn't caught up with the GTS+ business....

OFFICIAL: Toyota Techstream to be Sunset Dec 31, 2023 | Toyota Tundra Forum

What I've read so far suggests they don't intend to make license keys available to anybody without Toyota ATSC accounts.

This should be interesting. It seemed to me that the way they were doing things with Techstream could be described as just barely skating along the legal requirements of the Massachusetts Right-to-Repair law (which the auto companies eagerly agreed to follow nationwide before some other state might do a better one).

From what I'm reading, doesn't sound like they even mean to pretend to follow the law anymore. I hope I'm missing something.

#9 ChapmanF, Jan 27, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
  10. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    CarCareNut is going to be doing a video on it soon(it's how I found out about the switch), so I hope he'll have some answers. Although he pays for the full professional subscription, so I don't know if those answers will work for people like us.

I wonder if those of us in North America will be able to use the European Toyota site to access GTS+? Looks like 1 day for about $7.60US or 1 week for about $16.25US.

Toyota-Tech.eu

#10 Hammersmith, Jan 27, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
  11. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    GTS+ seems to just be a new user interface. Afaik, it doesn't change anything in the interfacing side. (But I didn't get as far as using it because the UI locked up during profile set-up, so I can't confirm the OpenPort works).

And doesn't change the way you obtain licenses, at least in Europe. Same license lets you use both. Difference is that GTS+ contacts the server directly for license confirmation, rather than you manually entering a key generated by the server.

Are those restricted? That sounds a bit like saying "they don't let anybody post on PriusChat without making a PriusChat account".

AndersOne likes this.
  12. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    More and more things are getting automated and key sharing is one of those things. If using op;ensource and want to generate private and public keys that's one of the ways key generation can still be done manually. Other certs are not so easy to do manually unless there is access granted or it's part of the work one does.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From what I read on this Denso page, I did not get the impression that ATSC accounts are offered to just anybody.

https://support.scantool.denso.info/hc/en-us/articles/6227324255513-How-to-purchase-for-TOYOTA-related-company-or-suppliers-For-user-outside-Japan-and-China-

Maybe there's just a whole different answer for people who aren't "Toyota related company or suppliers". I just didn't find any such answer.

14. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, looks to me like it's not generally available yet in the USA - your TIS site is still only offering Techstream - no mention of GTS+ anywhere public-facing.

Where are people getting the "it will require a ATSC account" from? Looks like you need one at the minute to get your hands on it, but that seems to be in an effort to not make it generally available yet. They're telling normal people to still use Techstream (in the USA, at least).

I imagine once it's generally available, you'll get licenses from your TIS where you currently get Techstream ones, same as we get them from where we get Techstream licenses.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has anyone here (US) successfully obtained a Techstream license key from TIS on a date later than 31 December 2023?

I haven't tried, myself, but it will be nice to hear somebody has and it worked ... which would then seem to contradict part of the announcement linked in #9.

16. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    To clarify to anyone reading this thread - that "announcement" is just some random person posting on a forum somewhere.

It looks like a Techstream->GTS+ shift is imminent - I can't see Techstream on the EU site anywhere for download any more. Although you can still get licenses.

But I can't see anything official from Toyota USA.

otatrant and vvillovv like this.