1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Techstream question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by avoice217, Oct 27, 2023.

1. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all, so I just recently received the mini vci cable in the mail and downloaded the Techstream software. However the software itself is asking for dealership info and its obvious that I don't run my own dealership. How is a regular guy able to bypass that info? Kinda wondering if I should've just ordered a regular obd2 scanner instead of this vci cable just to check for the codes.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a way around that... Some people will provide a code to enter, some will provide a bypass. Most sellers provide software with the appropriate information. Just start reading and you'll figure it out.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Look for a txt file with instructions. The hacked versions has no easy setup program for your pc.

4. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't worry about it guys. I went to my local Wally world & got a bluetooth reader as it was the ONLY one that had access to abs reads. Took about 10 mins & was able to pull up ALL the codes I needed. C1242, C1259, C1241, C1310, B1442, B1421 & P0AA6
    Apparently the B codes have to do with my air conditioner, which isn't a big deal right now. I am curious about the P code, so I'll look into that. One of the C codes has to do with the battery (which is odd since I wasn't have any issues there that I noticed, but it is an O'Reilly battery and have had issues with them in the past).

PriusPaddler likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What phone app did you use to get the codes?

PriusPaddler likes this.
  6. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So Wally world sells a product called Hyper Tough. The app is called RepairSolutions2.

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a lot of codes... Hopefully some are old glitches. It will be interesting to see which codes come back.

PriusPaddler likes this.
  8. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes well unfortunately the obd2 scanners that I purchased in the past only read check engine codes. Unfortunately I learned the hard way. I'm going to return the vci cable and just get myself a nice used obd2 scanner off eBay and that way im set in the future. The scanner from Walmart was more of a hurried thing since I had to wait for the vci cable for a whole week since the seller sent it from NY instead of Tx. Also apparently the seller sent a cd that happened to have some trojan virus on it (thankfully my antivirus program caught it immediately & im gonna send it all back to the seller and gonna give them a negative rating after this).

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This code is more about the voltage arriving at the ABS ECU. It may involve the battery, but if checking the battery shows it is charged and delivering 12.x V then you can move on to checking other things.

Brian1954 likes this.
  10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most stand along OBD2 scanner don't have the latest Hyrbid car error code libraries...

What works best is to get a cheap bluetooth reader and then use phone apps that are regularly updated with the latest code libraries...

Apps like Car Scanner app will not only tell you an error code, but it will tell you which ECU sent that code... And other apps like Dr. Prius app will give you a display screen that gives you all the most essential hybrid information in one quick glance at your phone.

Dr. Prius app also reinvests all the revenue it makes from its battery testing tool into R&D that has led to them selling Lithium Upgrade packs: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

Also buying this particular OBD2 reader helps fund Project Lithium R&D as well: https://amzn.to/2Z6nI6g And there's plenty of other options in their buyer's guide if you don't want to buy form Amazon: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

PriusPaddler likes this.
  11. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No offense to you sir, but I did get a bluetooth obd2 scanner and unfortunately it couldn't read because apparently I have a faulty temperature sensor inside the shell. Gonna go ahead and get another temperature sensor, but I'm also gonna take a multimeter and test the voltage on each modules to figure out which ones are bad. No sense in wasting energy in just replacing the sensor and just put it all back in to find out that x number of modules are bad when I can knock out 2 birds with 1 stone. I already know that the modules need to get replaced as its gotten to that point. The abs actuator failing on me really started the whole situation to begin with.

Thankfully I have a mechanic friend who I feel will help me with the hardest part (which is pulling the actuator out and putting in the used one). He's really laid back like that as I've seen him teach other people at his place. Extremely rare to see owners like that now n days.

PriusPaddler likes this.
  12. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Getting the brake booster setup and calibrated is tough thing for Bluetooth scanners. Techstream is best at it; others have reported success with the XTool D8.

Amazon.com: XTOOL D8 Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tool 2023 Newest with 3-Year of Updates, ECU Coding, Bidirectional Controls, 38+ Resets, Key Programming, Crank Sensor Relearn, ABS Bleeding, CAN FD for GM : Automotive

If your mechanic has neither you may want to keep your mini Vci and either buy a two day Professional software license ($70) from Toyota or try another Techstream hack download.

IMG_3325.jpeg

#11 rjparker, Oct 27, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    PriusPaddler likes this.
  13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, there's lots of junk OBD2 readers out there... And even then it wasn't till my third reader that I got one that worked. That was 5 years ago and there's no way I could do battery work without one. I even keep a spare so if someone needs help I get it set up and ask them to send me screenshots of Dr. Prius app because it's the fastest way to get data on a pack prior to pulling it from a car and doing an additional dozen tests. It's defiintely an essential tool to keep in your glove box.

I also have Toyota techstream, but rarely have a need to use it...

And as I said before this buyer's guide will improve your odds: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

PriusPaddler likes this.
  14. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The easiest way to get Techstream working with the minivci cable is to use one of the hacked versions which run in a virtual machine. This will work but legally it is pretty sketchy.

To do it legally download the latest Techstream version from Toyota and pay them for a license for it for a few days. If the ebay/amazon minivci cable is used the driver for it will need to be loaded though.

PriusPaddler and Brian1954 like this.
  15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    C1259 and C1310 are the brake system's "say, did you notice you have a hybrid code?" codes, so they are just telling you about the P0AA6.

B1421 is just the "I'm the code you're supposed to have when sun isn't shining on the dash sensor" code.

C1241, as already mentioned, is about out-of-range voltage reaching the brake system. C1242 is also about power getting to the brake system; the brake computer is in two redundant copies that watch each other, and you get C1242 when one of them gets power and sees the other hasn't. (There's an INF code to go with it, 87 or 88, telling which one had power and which one didn't.)

B1442 is an HVAC code suggesting an issue with the damper servo that selects between fresh and recirculated air.

Many of these are codes that can be read without any scan tool at all, as described on this page:

Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

Some of the more common codes also have explanations on that page.

PriusPaddler and PriusCamper like this.