1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

techstream win 10 issues and risk of theft via lost fob

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by k1ngn0thing, Sep 10, 2017.

1. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    recently lost my fob, ordered the vci j2534 cable with techstream which requires some fiddling to get to work on 64 bit systems. I just can't figure it out and am wondering if there is a recent, step by step guide. whenever I go to "connect to vehicle" and enter the included software key, the window goes away and reappears asking for the key again. the vehicle was on but not running, and I think I have the correct cable driver (used windows to automatically find and install,and it says it's working).

worried about theft from old fob and would rather not have to use a steering wheel bar until I figure out techstream... on that note, would my old fob still start the vehicle once it is deactivated within techstream? I ask only because new, unprogrammed fobs can start it, just not operate the locks, but my old fob has the door key as well.

I have an 07 prius and have tried two different software verions, the 10.something that came with the cable and 12.00.127

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Who would know the lost key belongs to your car?

3. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I lost them at a place I (and many others ) frequent, and there were people outside when I drove off. nobody turned it in and when I drove back they weren't in the lot, which in my mind means they're going to want to steal my car or they just wanted to sell the fob (possibly with the information related to pulling off said theft).

4. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    now I'm getting "unable to connect to VIM" which I assume is a driver and 64 bit win 10 problem.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You could just disable the SKS system. Unless you rekey your physical locks, they can still drive away with it...

6. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    there's absolutely no way to prevent that lost fob from starting my car? seems like a pretty big security oversight...

7. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can unpair the fob, but there is a physical key in the fob that will open your physical door. So your car cannot be locked unless your re-key the cylinders.

It's a not a security oversight when the problem is a human losing keys. Better than accidentally hitting a kill switch and making your $40k vehicle not work anymore because you pushed the kill-the-key button...

Also keep in mind pairing another key when you have a functioning key isn't too hard. But pairing a key without a functioning key is very difficult and impossible with a subscription to the Toyota security service which you won't have with a pirated copy of TS. Also once you pair more than some number of keys (5 or 7?) the immobilizer ECU in the car will need to be physically replaced as a security measure.

8. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A

I'm asking if it's possible at all, not if I can simply hit a button and theoretically accidentally do it. It would be a security oversight on the part of the engineers to not be able to prevent a FOB from STARTING a vehicle once it's lost or stolen.

9. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If I had access to your cabin (through an un-paired fob with a physical cut key) with my laptop and OBDII->USB, I could pair a key to your car and drive away. It all depends on how savvy your thief is. Also keep in mind lots of Prius break-ins and thefts are NOT whole car thefts anymore. They break in and steal the traction pack. And with a cut key this is super easy.