1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tein ss coilovers question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by jh87, Jun 21, 2012.

1. jh87

jh87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am looking into upgrading my suspension with Tein SS coilovers, but notice the maxium height (minimun drop) in the rear for prius is 1.9 inch. I think it is way too low to start wtih. Am I missing something or this is the way the Tein should be?

2. Dakine50

Dakine50 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    jh, -1.9" I think is too low as a "starting point" for the rear springs. I have the Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC and my rear springs start at -1" and max out at -2 1/2".

3. jh87

jh87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am interested in Tanabe too, but the Pro S-OC is not damper adjustable, right? they have the new model call Z40, but when I calle Tanabe USA a few days ago, I was told they are still doing the fitting test for the Z40.

By the way, how is the Pro S-OC ride quality, I prefer a mild drop with a smooth ride. Curretnly I have the TRD lowering spring on, although the handle is much better but the ride is too harsh to my taste.

4. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You already have the TRD springs on your Plug-in? Pics please..

Regarding the Tein SS.. the specs look funny to me.. I found this at this site:

Ride Height Drop:
    -1.7 Front
    -1.9 Rear

Minimum Ride Height Adjustment
    -2.4 Front
    -2.3 Rear

Maximum Ride Height Adjustment
    -0.7 Front
    -1.5 Rear

Listing the Ride Height Drop separately is odd. If the Maximum Ride Height Adjustment numbers were (+), that would make more sense. I do not know.. no idea.

Anyhow, are you sure about getting the Tein Super Streets? I thought they were discontinued.

5. Dakine50

Dakine50 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Correct jh, the Pro S-OC coilovers aren't damper adjustable and that was my preference. My car will never be tracked and all I was looking for was a smooth ride with an adjustable drop. I believe coilovers that have adjustable damping have to be "corner weighted" to reap the max benefit. Some coilover springs require to be preloaded as well. Just too many adjustments for a street ride for me.

Just my opinion, if you thought the TRD springs rode harsh, I don't know if getting coilovers would be any better.

Before I bought the coilovers, I had a set of Tein H-tech springs which rode fine for me but I wanted to go alittle lower. In my search for coilovers I also looked for lower frt/rr spring rates. to try to keep the ride as close to stock. Hope this helps.

6. jh87

jh87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    thanks Dakine, that is good info.

7. jh87

jh87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I haven't made up my mind yet. that is why I am here looking for help. Tein SS still listed in many online retailers, but giving its rear minimum drop at 1.9 inches, I may go with Tanabe.
    But why Tein designed such drop for prius, I don't understand.

8. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I took a look at the Tein site to see how they list the min/max height. Here's an example (from the Toyota Echo):

Capture.PNG

Here, it says "Approx" and then lists a height adjustment range. If we apply this to the specs on the Tein SS for the Prius, then I would think it would mean:

Approximate ride height (I guess with the perch around the middle of the collar)
    -1.7 Front
    -1.9 Rear

Minimum Ride Height Adjustment (lowest)
    -2.4 Front
    -2.3 Rear

Maximum Ride Height Adjustment (highest)
    -0.7 Front
    -1.5 Rear

So in that case, the minimum lowering in the rear would be 1.5". That makes more sense.

9. jh87

jh87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think you are right about the Tein SS for prius being discontinued. There are two models listed under prius in the TEIN USA website. one is the street basic model, STBN, the other is the Advanced Street model, STAA. both have the rear minimum drop at 1.9 !

10. Jae-DM

Jae-DM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the TEIN street advance coilovers which are set at 1.85 in front and 2.05 in the rear.
    The ride quality i believe is very close to stock when adjusted on full soft. The spring rates that come with this kit are
    very non-aggressive around 4kg front and rear. I have been riding on these for over 6 months with no problems and the ride is
    smooth. As far as ride height adjustment, I could probably go another 1.5" lower than my current setup but it's not recommended
    by TEIN.

Tracksyde likes this.
  11. jh87

jh87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    what is your rim size? I have 17'.

12. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Can you post a pic of your Tein setup and the overall side profile . I would like to see how it looks. THanks.

13. Jae-DM

Jae-DM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the 17" plus wheels that came with the plus package.

14. Jae-DM

Jae-DM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I might have a side shot photo layin around somewhere. If not I'll take some updated pics and post.

15. jh87

jh87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the info. I went ahead and had the TEIN street advance coilovers installed. very happy! more comfortable than the TRD springs.

Attached Files:

Tracksyde likes this.
  16. Jae-DM

Jae-DM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your car looks awesome! Wish I had a plugin as well. I recently got a plugin loaner car from toyota and drove it for 3 days and really enjoyed the better gas mileage as well as the plug-in capability. It seems like a better car overall. So where do you have your TEINs set at as far as ride height and damper setting? I have mine set at full stiff and the ride is still pretty good. Later on i'm going to have my TEINs revalved with some stiffer swift springs. I have always wanted a firm ride and my current setup is too soft for my taste even when adjusted on full stiff.

17. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So what was so bad about the TRD springs? I dont know the spring rates of the TRD springs, but I wouldnt think they would be that stiff. That would seem to indicate the stock shocks probably werent working well with the TRD springs.

How was the range of the adjustment? Your car doesnt look too slammed, so is it at the very top or close to it?

I think that's the first Plug-in I've seen lowered.

18. jh87

jh87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The TRD spring is a little bit too harsh to my taste, especially on those tined concrete surface, you can almost feel very single groove. I have the TEIN stetted at softest for now but will slowly turn up the firmness. The rear is at highest point but the front is lower than its maximum setting.

Tracksyde likes this.
  19. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all

so!!!! which one is better for smooth drive!!!! I have a set TRD and going to install next couple week; however I do not have any idea which is better, all I want is a smooth drive, 70% of my drive is in highway, this is a question for all people who install TRD, TEIN and Etc.... , please post your expert opinion.

V/r

Khoi Nguyen

20. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Expert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

V/r

Khoi Nguyen