1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Telemarketers... Is it worse to

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Aug 16, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    just hang up or abruptly cut them off and then hang up, or be polite and let them go through their whole spiel? Isn't being polite falsely giving them hope and making them spend unnecessary energy/time following their conversation tree/map to their natural conclusion with no fruition? I hate to be rude and will politely say "no thank you" a hundred times until the telemarketer gives up. But if time is money to them, maybe I'd be doing them a favor to just hang up from word one.

2. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Actually, my understanding is that they are evaluated on their performance partially on call volume. A long, un-productive call is worse for them than a short one.

Is it rude to cut short someone who is being paid to mindlessly recite a script that they are bored with?

I, personally, see telemarketers as a challenge. I try to engage them as real people. You can always tell the high volume call centers, where supervisors routinely monitor calls, because they get really nervous when you actually try to converse with them....

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Time is money to them. But my time is valuable too and I didn't ask them to call me.

So I'll keep them on the line as much as possible. And occasional uh huh or tell me more, then put the handset down, go to the bathroom, do some dishes, etc. Waste their time as much as I can. Sorta like the fun Scamorama has jerking the 419ers along.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 15 2007, 10:46 PM) [snapback]496740[/snapback]</div>
    I always F*** around with them. I give them the, "that's interesting . . . I'm not sure . . . tell me more" routine.
    I think it is everyones duty to waste as much of their time as possible - thusly massively increasing their costs of doing that type of annoying business, and preventing them from disturbing several other people during that time.

When they finally get so perturbed and ask, "what is it exactly that you would like to know?"
    I tell them, "I would like to know how to get on your do not call list and have it actually work, because next time, I will still be wasting your companies time with my saying "that's interesting . . . I'm not sure . . . tell me more.""

I usually just hear a click and never hear back from them. A couple of times, supervisors got on the line. :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :p :p

I have also fought off the massive quantities of "Pre-Approved" credit card offers by first going to the credit card association web site and signing up to opt out. Any other offers which arrived after that were returned using their prepaid postage envelope. :p
    I would just return the tear-off portion . . . otherwise their sorting machine will kick out those which are overweight. On the form I would write in big bold letters, "REMOVE ME FROM YOUR LIST, OR RECEIVE THIS BACK EVERY TIME!!!!!
    The numbers dropped off from one or two a day to one or two per month. I even got back an apology letter from two of the credit card companies. Of course they ended in "if in the future, should you wish to sign up for our service . . . call our 800 number . . . :rolleyes:

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  6. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should interrupt them quickly and say "Please remove my number from your call list".

If you do NOT tell them to remove your number, you will get called again. Also when they sell their list (these call lists are bought and sold often), you will have more calls. If you are polite to them and let them do their pitch, they notate in their records that you are "friendly" and the value of your record goes up. But if you request to be removed, they must, otherwise they can be sued.

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Back before the Do Not Call list, I used to play with them. My favorite was long distance carriers trying to get me to switch my service; I would tell them I didn't have a telephone. Often times they made the mistake of trying to convince me that I did.

But since the Do Not Call list, the only calls I get are from non-profit organizations, so I just politely hang up the moment they start in on their spiel.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Of course, the ultimate solution is to put your number on the national DNC registry. I think i've only gotten one telemarketing call since i've done that. https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unfortunately, non-profits and political calls are exempt from donotcall.gov.

11. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I cut them off and tell them I'm not interested. What's the point of trying to be rude or offend someone that's just trying to do their job and make a living? You'd probably be more irritated or inconvenienced if they're unemployed and sucking off tax dollars or pan handling on the corner.

12. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 16 2007, 08:24 AM) [snapback]496899[/snapback]</div>
    As are any companies you have ever done business with. So, your bank, former bank(s), the giant financial conglomerate that owns it, their insurance company, their "financial services" subsidiary, etc., etc., etc...

I have actually found that the magic words seem to be "Please put me on your do not call list for all marketing calls." I generally average about 2-3 telemarketing calls a month, as I usually end any of these calls with this magic phrase...

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that be true, but i dont mind listening to what they have to say... plus i guess im a soft touch, i sponsor two children (embarrassed to say i take cheapest option of $14 a month per child) i am a member of PBS, about 2-3 times a year i pay for car wash put on by local school kids, but never get my car washed (dont trust ANYONE to wash my baby but myself)... soo...

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 16 2007, 02:59 AM) [snapback]496755[/snapback]</div>
    At which point I ask for a name and then inform them that I am on the do not call list and the next time they call will cost them a $500.000 fine.

I used to get a lot of junk mail too, but I went to some sort of do not mail credit card/bank/loan/etc site and that has really cut down on stuff.

Now the only stuff I'm getting is insurance stuff. AARP keeps sending me tons of stuff. I think I may contact them and say either stop it or I'm not going to renew my membership ever again. The other source is the home equity loan I just took out. That will eventually stop but I may contact my bank about it as I did check all of the boxes that said no I don't want offers from anyone, not even your friends, don't share my information with anyone.

I think of all of the paper wasted. I'm sure the Post Office apprecieates the money, but I feel sorry the postman has to carry around all that cr@p.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 16 2007, 02:59 AM) [snapback]496755[/snapback]</div>
    Now I saved up the offers and then returned them in the prepaid envelopes. Only I switched them around so they'd get each others offers. Eventually they stopped coming. If I recall right it took Citibank the longest to learn their lesson. I ended up sending them all sorts of junk. Sometimes coupons from the local Pennysaver.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    opps wrong thread

16. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 16 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]496851[/snapback]</div>
    Oh that made me laugh. I wish I'd known that one back when those long distance carrier calls came every night. Megan I have actually dropped our land lines entirely, and our telemarketer calls have dwindled to about 4 a year.

17. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Aug 16 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]496919[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely. I know a guy that had the misfortune of working in one of these telemarketing centers (they just hire out their services to various companies). He told me that upon getting an abusive response, he would just flag the number as "no rsponse" on the calling system. That guaranteed another call to that number later. Apparently many of the people working there did that.

Just interrupt, be polite, and ask to be placed on the "do not call" list. And sign up for the Federal do-not-call list to head most of them off at the pass.

- Tom

18. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 16 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]496851[/snapback]</div>
    I was never this clever. Although I had some fun with MCI & Sprint callers when I worked for AT&T. I told them that if they could offer a better plan than the one I was getting from AT&T, then I'd gladly switch. When they asked which plan it was I'd just say "The AT&T employee reimbursement plan".

I usually got a moment of silence and then an apology.

19. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I get calls like these all the time from residents. The telemarketer calls the howm owner tells them they are not intrested and the marketer calls back repeatedly....

I had one lady that told off a tele marketer and he called her back and told her he would put her number on bathroom walls (call for hott sex) because she was a B**ch....

she didnt have a return number to be reported...... :unsure:

I just let the answering machine screen the call...... ;)

20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 16 2007, 01:31 AM) [snapback]496729[/snapback]</div>
    The Do Not Call list solved the problem. Personally, I didn't want to waste my time so I just politely said "No thank you" and hung up. However, it can be very amusing to string them along to see how long they will stay on the phone with an unproductive call.