1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tell me about using a Prius as a Generator!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Funk-O-Meter, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Funk-O-Meter

Funk-O-Meter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read a little about using the prius as generator for camping or power outages with a UPS or by using a simple off the shelf inverter but I've not found any easy to digest info about people doing this. I see there's one place on line that sells a few kits but once again.. not very clear on how involved instalation or what the options are.

I'm sure there's some good threads here about it but my searching didn't yield much.

Hook a brother up?

2. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]
    Here is mine. The black and red wires are #4 and the green (ground) is #8 IIRC.

Do you have specific questions?

Julia2001 and HaroldW like this.
  4. Funk-O-Meter

Funk-O-Meter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I guess I would wonder how much draw the prius can safely handle 1k watts? 1.5k? Should I get a 1k watt inverter like yours? Mine would just be for emergency use and possibly some festival style camping usage. I coils do that in an hour no sweat. If I where to use the UPS/traction battery style rig I could use it possibly for commercial use powering a small stage or festival vending booth. What kind of power would that offer?

5. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not having read the sites linked above: I have read the inverter feeding the 12V battery is fused at 100A, so I would suggest you keep the draw well under 100A.

So a 1000W inverter would be about all I would hook up to it. If you are sure the draw is not continuous but has higher peaks, I would add a decent size battery and would be willing to go up to 1.5kW, possibly 2kW.

But I am not sure of the inverter's design and if it e.g. is limited and will only supply 90A regardless of the draw (even when the currentdraw is 200A for the 2kW inverter).

Edit: I have now read the second site and realise that speaks of tapping into the 200V battery! Then the sky's the limit (although his 6kVA system should suffice for most purposes :) it does immediately give me ideas for a house I'd like to buy that has no gas-connection (all our cookers are gaspowered) that needs its big 3 phase 63A connection due to its electrical waterheaters for the floor-heating (18kVA), but could go back to 3x25A if the Prius could help out :D The smaller connection saves 300$ in fixed cost a year!!!)