1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

temp control on vent?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hnational, Mar 10, 2005.

1. hnational

hnational Junior Member

Hey all,
    i couldn't find the answer so i decided to ask. My old 86 corolla (R.I.P.) had the best temp control settings. I could manipulate the temperature and fan level independently. I haven't found a way to do that with my prius yet.
    Specifically, I'm looking to have the fan off and the temperature a bit warmer so that i don't have to hear the fan blow.
    i know you can set the vent to the outside air temp by holding the temp button all the way down but that is only good is if the weather is great.
    does anyone know if that's possible? i suspect it's not and i'll have to listen to the fan. (i know i'm getting greedy with the wonderful silence of my prius!)
    thanks

2. xevious

xevious New Member

You absolutely can manipulate the fan and temperature independently in the Prius. But I think you're asking a different question.

Just to check to see if I know what I think I know what you're saying: ;)

In more conventional cars, especially the older ones, you could leave the vent open to outside air, turn the fan off, and (at speed) still have positive air flow into the cabin. This air would, of course, be heated if the thermostat was set towards "hot".

This scenario is not possible with the Prius, as you have already noticed.

Speculation - the cabin air intake is located at the base of the front windshield. Because of the slippery aerodynamics of the Prius and (specifically) the fact that the hood and front windshield form the leading portion of a unicurve, I would wager that this area becomes a low pressure zone due to the Bernoulli effect. But enough speculation, lest I be proved too terribly wrong.

The upshot of all this is that you must have the fan on in order to sense any significant cabin airflow.

My recommendation is to turn on the "Auto A/C" system, set the temperature to a comfortable level, then, if the fan is bugging you, switch the multi-information display to the Climate screen and select the lowest fan speed. This speed is barely, barely audible and should be inaudible over road noise at speed.

3. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It feels that when you:
    1. Turn on the fan (AC)
    2. Set the temperature
    3. Turn off the fan (AC)
    You get "passive" vent or flow-through ventilation at the desired temperature. It is not a strong flow of air, but enough to be sensible.

For example, in winter I want warm feet, but I want to optimize fuel economy. I do the above and enjoy warm feet. I realize this procedure will not be effective in very cold conditions.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I have noticed air 'leakage' from side vents with recirc set to VENT whether the fan is on or not.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sounds good to me, and I like evoking the Bernoulli effect!! 8)

6. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I do the exact same thing as skruse: Turn the auto A/C on via the steering wheel, adjust temp via the steering wheel, then go to the climate screen to turn fan to low or even off as well as change where the air comes out from 'just feet' to 'feet and torso' (or hands). That way the heat is on, going to my feet and hands, but not running the compressor. I use this when I feel MPG is needing a boost and I'm not TOO cold. If below 20 degrees F, then all bets are off and I crank the heat in a normal auto-mode fashion. Love my Prius...but the cliamte control needs work...

7. Dr.Jay

Dr.Jay New Member

Here's how I set the 'No Fan' heat. . .
    Turn fan on to low
    set air to outside (not re-circulate)
    set temp to 70-72
    set heat direction (floor, vent, both)
    Hit off button
    Crack driver side window about 1/2 to 3/4 inch
    If your going 25MPH or greater, you get a nice flow of air