1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ten best April Fool's Day hoaxes

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ten Best April Fool's Day Hoaxes.

"Here are 10 of the top April Fool's Day pranks ever pulled off, as judged by the San Diego-based Museum of Hoaxes for their notoriety, absurdity, and number of people duped."

"Burger King, another American fast-food chain, published a full-page advertisement in USA Today in 1998 announcing the introduction of the "Left-Handed Whopper," specially designed for the 32 million left-handed Americans. According to the advertisement, the new burger included the same ingredients as the original, but the condiments were rotated 180 degrees. The chain said it received thousands of requests for the new burger, as well as orders for the original "right-handed" version."

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Now THIS one was funny:

3. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My fav... :D

4. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 1 2007, 11:16 PM) [snapback]416320[/snapback]</div>
    Sweden in 1962 had only one television channel, which broadcast in black and white. The station's technical expert appeared on the news to announce that thanks to a newly developed technology, viewers could convert their existing sets to receive color pictures by pulling a nylon stocking over the screen. In fact, they had to wait until 1970.

I wonder if they still fit after taking them off the TV?

Wildkow

p.s. After being on the TV for eight years? I don't think so.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 2 2007, 11:34 PM) [snapback]416870[/snapback]</div>
    I remember the very first generation of home videogames (yes, kids, we're talking about PONG here! None of this fancy Wii garbage! When I was your age we had a single joystick, no buttons, and WE LIKED IT, Dagnabbit!) Anyway, I remember some of them came with neat plastic overlays you could put on your TV screen because the games, of course, were only in black and white.

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 2 2007, 11:01 PM) [snapback]416892[/snapback]</div>
    OMG! You're older than dirt! Just like me. :lol: :rolleyes: :p

Wildkow

7. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Heard about this one back in the 80's, and always thought it was a good gag. A radio station (I think it was in Kentucky or Tennesee somewhere) started out their Monday morning show an hour early. Every time they gave the time, the DJ said "If you set your clocks forward ahead one hour last night, it's 6:30." and so on throughout the morning.

Naturally, people got up, assumed they had forgotten about daylight savings time, and rushed through the morning to get to work on time. The DJ failed to mention until the end of the show that there was no reason to set your clocks ahead an hour, because daylight savings time wasn't supposed to start until later in the month.

Apparently people all over the city were showing up for work an hour early.

Dan

8. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 2 2007, 10:01 PM) [snapback]416892[/snapback]</div>
    Was that the Odyssey? I remember getting one of those for Christmas (probably about 1972?). The overlays were incredibly cheesy, and never actually worked like they should (the dots on the TV screen rarely lined up properly with the overlay). The system didn't even come with joysticks, but this was probably before anyone actually realized what a joystick was! Instead, it had big clunky boxes with potentiometers on each side.

Here's are some good history links:

http://www.pong-story.com/odyssey.htm

http://www.magnavox-odyssey.com/

http://www.ralphbaer.com/odyssey_ad.htm