1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ten thousand feet and counting

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Jan 22, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Turns out I didn't have to send the film off after all. Walgreens was able to develop it and put it on a CD for me, with both high-res (for printing) and low-res (for emailing and posting) of each picture. This is all real folks. No trick photography. The really disappointing thing was they didn't get any shots after the parachute opened. There was only one of the landing, but all it shows is our legs. In my opinion the photographer screwed up by saving only one exposure for the landing.

Oh, and I'm not screaming. I had my mouth open wide to be able to breathe in the 120-mph wind. The city down below in Playa del Carmen, QROO, Mexico

[attachmentid=6287]

[attachmentid=6288]

[attachmentid=6291]

[attachmentid=6289]

[attachmentid=6290]

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Go Daniel!!

Here's a riddle:

What club does no one want to join, but every member is both proud and glad to be a member?

Answer:

The Caterpillar Club.

You become a member when you use a parachute because you HAD to.
    Takes its name from the caterpillar silk parachutes used to made of.

Glad to see this 1st jump wasn't forced and I hope you enjoy many more unforced jumps to come!

Congratulations!

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 22 2007, 04:13 PM) [snapback]379230[/snapback]</div>
    I never have understood the desire or need to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. :)

Wildkow

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 22 2007, 05:32 PM) [snapback]379244[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto.

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jan 22 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]379234[/snapback]</div>
    Not forced, but I did have to be pushed. I cannot jump into the water from a one-meter diving board. I told the instructor that I'd be unable to actually make the jump and I wanted him to just push me when the time came.

This was something I just simply had to do. Once. I won't do it again, unless there is an extreme incentive. Like for example if Juliette Lewis offered to go to bed with me on the condition that I made another jump.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 22 2007, 05:32 PM) [snapback]379244[/snapback]</div>
    If you'd had a good look at the airplane, and listened to the pilot talking to the two skydivers (instructor and photographer), you might have been, like me, more inclined to jump than to remain in the plane. I think the pilot was about 16 years old.

Funny thing is, though, that until 2 or 3 weeks ago, I always said I'd never sky dive. Then I saw on the internet that they offered tandem sky diving, and I just realized that I'd never forgive myself if I left Mexico without trying it.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like fun to me. Good on ya, Daniel, for overcoming your fears. Has Juliette called yet? :)

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    WTG Daniel!!!

love yer attitude!! just do it!

8. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 22 2007, 06:13 PM) [snapback]379230[/snapback]</div>
    Don't be so dissapointed. Those are good quality pictures, which can be tough to get under those circumstances. And you can see the city getting bigger in each picture. When the chutes open, I can imagine it would be hard to be matched up so that you can see anything more of the other person than the parachute below you or your own parachute above you. When you're in free fall you have a little more control over speed (at least that's my understanding from watching this on TV). This is probably what's worked best for them in their experience.
    Yeah, that sounds good. I'll try to remember that line :)

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jan 22 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]379321[/snapback]</div>
    I'm happy with the quality of the pictures. The photographer opened his parachute after the instructor opened ours. He should have been able to get a shot of ours opening. But even without that, since he landed first by several minutes, he had plenty of opportunity to get several shots of our approach and landing. But he had only one exposure left. Whether he intended to only get one shot from the ground, or mis-counted in the air and took too many, I do not know. But he had one exposure left, and he completely blew that. He was on the beach, and the last picture shows our legs as we approach for the touch-down. He should have saved 3 or 4 exposures, and gotten the full approach and landing.

Oh, well. The main thing is I survived. And it only took about 48 hours for the motion sickness to subside. After I sailed on the Lord Nelson for a week I was motion-sick for 2 or 3 months. I really thought I had done myself permanent damage.

I would (quite literally) give my eye teeth (whichever ones those are) for a cure for motion sickness.

10. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 22 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]379359[/snapback]</div>
    Get out to your local airstrip & hire an aerobatic pilot to take you up. It'll take several flights, but it'll cure motion sickness.

Most motion sickness results from the brain's inability to correlate the visual with what the inner ear is telling it. On board a ship, most of the visual stimulus is that you're in a stable environment, but the ear says something completely different. This is especially bad when indoors on a ship.

Unfamiliar visual stimulus coupled with intense inner ear stimulus also causes motion sickness, and aerobatics experienced for the first time are extremely visually disorienting. The good news is that repeated exposure to aerobatics helps the brain finally make sense of what's going on, and after that it's about the most fun you can have and still keep your pants on.

Your first flight would be short, no more than five or ten minutes of a few easy loops and barrel rolls. In both maneuvers the g-forces are always positive and rarely more than 2 G. You quit the moment you start to feel queasy.

Your next flight you'll find you'll be able to stand it a bit longer, and after a few more flights you'll actually look forward to the milder maneuvers because they won't make you sick at all.

When you can take a solid half hour of snaprolls, point rolls, outside loops and upon landing look forward to the next as yet unexperienced maneuver (lomcevak, inverted spin), your motion sickness will be as purged as measles was when you went through that as a kid.

Yes, it will be expensive. But that's what eye-teeth are: expensive. Let's say it takes 15 hours of flight time (I think 10 ought to do it but let's allow 15). Airplane'll run about $100 an hour, and pilot will cost another $50 an hour. 15 hours times $150 is $2,250 - put aside $3,000 as your motion sickness cure fund & go to it! That's less than half what I paid to have an implant molar put in, and they're cheaper than eyeteeth.

Incidentally, don't knock 16 year old pilots. I soloed on my 16th birthday.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The first time I ever went parachuting (no skydiving the first time) I was terrified of the little tiny tin can with wings. They opened the door, and I couldn't wait to get out. I don't jump much these days, but I still hate the small planes. I like the parachute MUCH better.

Nate

12. CMonster

CMonster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jan 23 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]379628[/snapback]</div>
    A season pass to your local amusement park would be cheaper and roller coasters would theoretically be just as effective.

I'm not sure I really support the theory though. I've gotten less prone to motion sickness as I've aged - maybe roller coasters helped, maybe not.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Some people get accustomed to motion after a while. Many people will be sick the first day on board a ship, and then get used to it. But other people never do: Lord Nelson (after whom the ship I sailed on was named) got sick every time he sailed, and Darwin was seasick the entire voyage of the Beagle. Not only did I not get used to it with time, but after I sailed on the Lord Nelson I was sick for 2 or 3 months, and feared I had done myself permanent damage.

I soloed a small plane (Piper Tripacer, belonging to my step-father) when I was 16 or 17. I never got a private pilot's license, because he ended up selling the plane. But I went up with him while he did some fairly mild air tricks. Lazy-8s, stuff like that. The tripacer was not an aerobatic plane. But I always got sick when he did that stuff. I never got used to it.

The odd thing is that nobody knows why a disconnect between your eyes and your ears should make your stomach go screwy.

14. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well Daniel, I can say, that is something I never want to do, ever.

Glad you had fun.

I was in the NAVY, and never got motion sickness. But last year, I went out on one of those clear glass bottom boats out in The Keys, so I could see the coral reefs and fish. I was fine as we were on the way out. But when we got there, and I looked down and out of the glass bottom, well....let's just say, whilst I did not toss my cookies, I did open the bag.

Which is weird, since I have been on Aircraft Carriers, and Subs. So I guess motion sickness can happen to any of us.

15. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Holy crap you look like Woody Allen! :ph34r:

I do not know, that was pretty ballsy considering it was in Mexico...

Well, you survived, that's all that matters....!

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 23 2007, 11:38 PM) [snapback]379914[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel,

the persistant symptoms you had make me wonder if you might have some Benign Positional Vertigo If so a simple technique called the Epley's Maneuver (see diagrams at the bottom of linked article) may relieve all your symptoms either immediately or gradually over a few days should you experience them again.

17. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Daniel, those pictures are awesome. Good for you for giving it a shot. [​IMG]

What did it feel like to be free falling like that? I'd love to hear it.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 24 2007, 07:38 AM) [snapback]380039[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you, Squid. I'm still not sure whether it was brave or stupid. But that particular outfit has been operating for a long time, and claims to have a stellar safety record. The instructor was clearly an expert, as he set us down right in the middle of the beach, exactly opposite to where the van was parked. And beach sand is about the safest place to land.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 24 2007, 07:44 AM) [snapback]380043[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the link Evan. It looks awfully technical, but I'm going to print it out to read more at leasure, and I'll show it to my doctor.

However, at a first glance, they seem to be talking about vertigo, which is not what I have. It's true that I sometimes get dizzy for a moment when I stand up from a squat, most often right after jogging, but I've been told that is due to slightly lowered blood pressure. My problem is motion-sickness. And I've read that after a severe, extended bout of motion sickness, it is common for the symptoms to last beyond the motion, and sometimes far beyond.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Jan 24 2007, 08:30 AM) [snapback]380076[/snapback]</div>
    There is no falling sensation. This is because you reach terminal velocity within a couple of seconds, and after that there is no further acceleration. Just wind. About a 120 mph wind. I imagine it's a lot like standing in a hurricane, except that a hurricane would blow you sideways. Since you are falling belly to Earth, the wind is blowing you upwards against the force of gravity.

So all you feel is a tremendous wind, so strong that it is hard to breathe. Which is why my mouth is open. I noticed in the pictures that the instructor has his mouth closed, so obviously you learn to breathe through your nose. But of course I could not see the instructor.

One cool thing is that the climate in Mexico is so warm that, as you see in the pics, you can jump in shorts and t-shirt. I think other places are generally so cold that you have to be fully clothed. I was not the least bit cold, even falling 120 mph.

There are vertical wind tunnels where you can experience free-fall without actually moving. This one charges $70 for 3 minutes, and $35 for a second 3 minutes, or $175 for a book of 5 flights for one person. However, in real skydiving you can move horizontally. With this you are limited to the 12-foot diameter of the tunnel.

19. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow this is great! Go Daniel!

I am too chicken to do anything like this. I went on a roller coaster two years ago, and I don't want to do it again, although I had fun.

I get air sick all the time. I am an experienced traveller, but it doesn't matter if the flight is two hours long or 16 hours long (Chicago to Hong Kong), I get air sick. I HATE flying.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Mar 19 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]408503[/snapback]</div>
    You ought to try it once. It's amazing. It's really scary, but relatively safe with an experienced tandem jumper as long as you're not close to other jumpers. Accidents occur mostly from collisions between jumpers, and from daredevil manuvers.

I highly doubt I'll ever do it again. But I'm really glad I did it. Once.

I usually get a bit sick any time I fly. I use Bonine. One for jets and two for prop planes. If I'm expecting it to be bad I'll use Scopolamine, but the side effects (dizziness and a sore throat) leave it suitable only for extreme cases.