1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tension Pulley not working.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PuffyWiggles, Jun 3, 2022.

1. PuffyWiggles

PuffyWiggles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Looking for possible explanation or alternatives to the tensioner not seemingly doing anything at all in order to change my serpentine belt. I cracked the left 14mm bolt and started loosening the 12mm tensioner and absolutely nothing happened. Its still sitting as firm as can possibly be, not even loosened a little.

Any help would be much appreciated. Im sure its stuck or something I just dont want to go banging on things unless I know exactly what im doing.

Thanks!

Added photos to show the 14mm and 12mm are loosened. Its very rusty, but shes still working at 180k miles.

Attached Files:

2. PuffyWiggles

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Wanted to add when I say 14mm and 12mm bolts I mean the 14mm to the left of the pulley and the 12mm for the tensioner itself. Couldn't find a way to edit, sorry for double posting.

Also any other pictures I can provide id be glad too. I should also note that things ive tried was removing the 14mm bolt completely (As I need to take off the assembly to get to my water pump which im also changing) and even removing the 12mm bolt completely and placing them back in.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good pictures.

Your dealing with alot of bad rust it looks like. Everything is stuck. I have changed that belt with no issues but if I was you I would jack the car up take the passenger side tire off and that inner fender well and get a better look at
    That long tensioner bolt. You’ll be better able to spray some lube in it and see what’s what. Your belt idler bearing will probably be shot too so once you get in there take the idler out and check it’s bearing.

Make sure the hood latch is well lubricated. Many reports of stuck hood.
    You may want to check the front suspension too looks like really bad rust.

Good luck.

4. PuffyWiggles

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks for responding!

I pulled the entire tensioner bolt out, unless you mean the one at the other end of the idler pulley, which is a much bigger wheel. It does look like that the whole assembly should kind of fall apart and rust is simply keeping it all in place regardless of unscrewing anything. The good news is its still seemingly holding solid tension, so I guess it works, I just have no way to change the serpentine belt.

When you say the belt idler bearing, you mean the small one closest to me? Ill post some more pictures showing what I mean and make sure we're talking about the same thing. Hopefully you can see what parts I can easily remove, the bearing itself just wont budge, that belts still on so tight that I cant do anything with it. You think just some solid rust remover and hope for the best?

In the meantime I am just going to work around it and get the pump removed, the pulleys arent "too" in the way, it should be doable, I am just a bit worried about the future of it. I will note outside of this area there is very little rust. Im not sure how it ended up so unbelievably bad.

The pictures are of the 12mm screw for the tensioner and the 14mm to the pulley with the round side piece (sorry language is failing me). The 12mm is the tensioner bolt you were talking about right? If so, I can pull it fine. If not ill assume you mean the really big bearing near the bottom. Could that be messing everything up? It looks alright from the top with a flashlight but I guess you never know. Was under the assumption the Tensioner pulley was how the breakdown point for this entire system.

Attached Files:

#4 PuffyWiggles, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I had the central nut loosened well, and the tensioning bolt protruding upward like that, I think I would next just spray a bunch of PB B'laster around the part of the central bolt that passes through that slot, and then apply a lot of straight downward taps on the head of the tensioning bolt.

By "a lot of taps", I mean I'd probably get out the air hammer and sing myself a little song over and over while holding the trigger and letting 2,000 taps a minute arrive on the bolt head.

Wouldn't even hold the trigger all the way in; it's usually not really how hard the taps, just how many. 'ventually starts moving.

6. PuffyWiggles

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Okay, I can try the PB Blaster. I guess hitting the top of that tensioner bolt is really the only way to try to loosen the other pieces. I can remove the screw itself as I posted above, but the space behind that screw slot for the tensioner bolt is so tiny. If I could get a heavy metal piece in there and just pull the living crap out of it I imagine it'd eventually budge, but I guess thats the best way is to just hit the bolt and hope the friction loosens it.

Considering its holding tension fine, just not letting me change my belt, and assuming there is no rattling and its all still running smooth. Would it be okay to just leave it as is and do the water pump? Obviously you can never be sure, but it doesnt seem like its going anywhere.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would want to free it up, so I could get the right tension on the new belt.

I think the penetrating oil and lots of taps on the tensioning bolt should eventually move it. Worst case, you could end replacing those parts.

An air hammer is what makes that kind of thing tolerable. 2,000 taps in a minute while you just smile and hold the hammer. Otherwise, giving even one minute's worth, 2,000 taps with a regular hammer, leads to great boredom and a tired arm.

8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    An air hammer, a compressor, and a light (experienced) finger on the trigger can work wonders. You need the first two in order to attempt this at all. Until you develop the third, well, bad things can happen.

The learning process often involves making mistakes- and mistakes with an air hammer can break things. Just saying. (And don't forget hearing protection when hammering).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The idler pulley is just stuck in the slot.

And Yes its that idler pulley you need to check its bearing. You can just spin it while its bolted on see if its making noise. Should be quiet and smooth.

Do the same with the water pump impeller. See how smooth it is. Look around closely in that area for reddish/greenish specks on the chassis which is the pump weep hole weeping. You never posted miles on the car.

After a new belt tension it up snug not super tight then drive it around for a day or so then tighten it back up. New belt very stiff has to break in. or you can put the car in inspection mode and let it run for 15 minutes. Go on youtube and lookup Prius Inspection it will show you the chicken dance to put the engine in Inspection mode where it will endlessly idle till its shut off.

I hope its a real Toyota belt. I would not use a parts store belt. This is a critical belt.

You want to make sure that belt system is in good shape in that area because if the belt fails you will never know it till you see a check engine light on the dash meaning the engine is in overheat. Sometimes its engine damage from warped aluminum head. Seen many of those.

Terrible design no temp gauge.

Keep up with the engine coolant. Do not do a full engine coolant dump this car gets a really bad airlock with the CHRS thermos bottle. Just take the cap off the rad then open the petcock under the rad on the drivers side dump just the rad and then fill it back up with Toyota LLC. Do that a few times over a few months. It works good make a big impact on the loop and no airlock drama. Fill it up to the top and drive away.
    Check its level after a few days as it settles in.

10. PuffyWiggles

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, the good news is that the tensioner finally gave after hammering the tension screw with a screwdriver about a 100 times. The pulley also spins super smooth, no wobbling, no noise. The slightly worrying news is I did indeed do a full engine coolant dump because I was changing the CHRS Pump and the Mechanical main water pump as I had a code of P2601 which indicated the CHRS pump according to the dealership, but I also knew that my mechanical pump was leaking as there was alot of pink coolant on my Mechanical Pump which the dealership said would probably drop a code at any moment. So I just did both.

On Youtube (I know I know) ive found a guy changing the coolant how I did and seemingly got it back to working by going into maintenance mode and bleeding it over and over to remove air pockets.

If you have the time is there anything I should be particularly aware of? I can read as much as I want but it is my first time doing a full coolant change. I have new coolant, its the one for Toyota (or Asian on the Coolant) that I was recommended. I drained about half a container which is a 2 gallon container so I imagine about 1 gallon will be right.

Thanks for all the help guys. You have been fantastic!

Edit: Wanted to add the Car has 181k miles on it. Its a 2008 Prius basic.

#10 PuffyWiggles, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022