1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tensioner Pulley Release bolt broken.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by yayprius, Mar 23, 2018.

1. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hello,

I was going to change the water pump and when I was starting out the bolt snapped. There was no tension released, so Can I drive this to the shop? I know its like "If I have to ask".... But I'm cheap, though I did buy oem parts for this job.

Also so much rust all over the car should I scrap it? Just over 180xxx miles.

Thank you,
    Patrick.
    20180323_174241_HDR.jpg

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if you can afford to scrap it, then you should scrap it and get something better.

You cannot drive this car with a broken tensioner.

3. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thank you for the reply JC91006.

I'm not too inclined to give up because of a broken bolt. Is it really all the one piece I can replace the whole pulley and be okay with that?
    Also are you saying scrap it because of the condition its in or future headache you see ahead, 'cas you've got quite the line up of Prius there I'd certainly weigh your insight heavily.

Thank you.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm just saying scrap it because you said it was all rusted. If all the rust is what's on the picture, then those minor parts can all be replaced.

5. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    How much do you think this would cost to fix/self doable? I cant get intouch with my shop to see what they say.

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd say it's doable, but not easy. What I'd try is to cut off the belt to remove tension and then spray the bolts that hold on the assembly with penetrating oil and let that soak in with lots of re-application for a few hours. Then you might be able to remove the whole assembly. Then again, it might come off easily or not at all. But it's sure a royal pain to get in there to work.

#6 jerrymildred, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    KROIL is your best friend in these situations.

8. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks jerrymildred, I was expecting to drving today and the next..........If i can fix this over the weekend rather than buying a new car ill throw what i need at it. I cant find anything that shows how to do anything about replacing the tensioner pulley though. Id pull everything apart and dig through it but im stuck on a street in the city in the cold with no clue where to go and i dont want to create more problems than already exist.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you start by loosening the bolt that goes through the center of the idler pulley?

-Chap

jerrymildred and Patrick Wong like this.
  10. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    No. I started with the bolt that is missing in the pic i took.

#10 yayprius, Mar 23, 2018
  11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Chap identified your problem. You are supposed to loosen the nut on the idler pulley first. Then when you rotate the adjustment bolt, that will drop the pulley down, loosening the belt. Since you did not loosen the nut, you snapped the bolt.

Do not use a cheap 12-point socket when loosening the nut. Use a quality 6-point socket on the nut and a breaker bar to loosen. If you use cheap tools you will round the edges of the nut and cause more problems for whomever has to follow you.

After you loosen the idler pulley nut, you still may need to cut off the serpentine belt to relieve tension on the idler pulley. Since the adjustment bolt is broken you may need to replace the entire idler pulley assembly, depending upon how much damage was caused by your exerting excessive force on the bolt, the existing corrosion, etc.

Also, see my post here:
    How to replace engine coolant pump and thermostat | PriusChat

#11 Patrick Wong, Mar 23, 2018
    M in KC, yayprius and jerrymildred like this.
  12. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Patrick, I'm Patrick too, thanks for the reply. New here so not sure if I should start a new thread pertaining to replacing the tensioner pulley.

I've got craftsman tools The little rachet the normal and the 3/4 i think. Its larger than the run of the mill husky stuff. With extentions and such inherited from my grandfather. They've helped a good deal.

The bolt is broken in half and visible. I've got the time motivation to get this done. Ill get the tools w/e I can do.

Thank you.

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK Patrick, the tightening torque on the idler pulley nut is 30 ft.-lb so you will have to exert reasonable force to loosen it especially if corrosion is an issue. You may be lucky and find that after you loosen the nut you can remove the pulley, then figure out how to replace the broken bolt.

When replacing the broken bolt use an automotive grade bolt. The head of the bolt has markings on it to indicate its grade, try to get a similar replacement. Bolts that you can get at the hardware store often will not be hardened and may cause problems if they fail while in service.

You don't need to start a new thread.

14. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Okay. I bought a tourqe ratchet for the job. Ill start there and report back. Should i get the part first or see if I can get the pulley off first?

Thanks

#14 yayprius, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you start by loosening the idler pulley nut and see where that leads you. If you are lucky you will just have to replace the sheared bolt - if you are trying to minimize the repair parts bill.

I recognize you started this adventure with the intent to replace the engine coolant pump, and I trust you also planned to replace the serpentine drive belt as part of the job. With 180K miles on the odometer I would replace the idler pulley as a matter of course. That is not very expensive. However, some people like to wait for an actual failure before taking action - so I will leave that choice to you.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    An astounding amount of rust on those hose clamps. :eek: :mad:

17. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Right. Minimize the bill but to maximize the knowledge. Gonna be a prius proud driver.

Ill start small. Should I use the 3/4 drive slowly first then on the pulley nut?

SFO likes this.
  18. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I know. The front bumper screws were seized too. Chewed up the bumper there hand twisting them off with channel locks. The intake hose clamp....That bolt snapped too. Bought a new clamp ahead on time for that one.

Edit. Also the pic shows the wd40 i put on the bolts over night .. Before they snapped.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would use a 1/2" breaker bar along with a piece of steel pipe (a cheater) that fits over the end of the breaker bar, to increase the effective length of the breaker bar. That improves leverage and makes it easy to remove the nut.

If you have a 3/4" wrench with an adapter to fit the socket, that may work well, it depends upon how long the wrench arm is.

20. yayprius

yayprius Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Okay I feel informed enough to this point. Im gonna check it out after work and ill post what comes up.

Raytheeagle likes this.