1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Terrapass? Pay or Pass?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fredmertz, Apr 28, 2006.

1. fredmertz

fredmertz New Member

Has anyone contributed to this: Terrapass

2. priusblue

priusblue New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fredmertz @ Apr 28 2006, 08:44 AM) [snapback]246570[/snapback]</div>

I have - I "offset" both the Prius and our Honda's mileage with this. I think of it as more of a contribution to renewable energy than an actual negating of my emissions, obviously, but every little bit helps. I liked that they work on industrial efficiency as part of their program. Negawatts are the best kind! It seemed like a worthwhile program and an excellent way to get people to think a little harder about the gas they burn. The offsets are certified, too, so you know your money is actually going where they say.

It's pretty cheap, especially when compared with the local greenpower program I contribute to. Whereas I did choose to offset all my mileage with TerraPass, I'm not "offsetting" all my electricity emissions, because a) it's too expensive through the local greenpower program and b ) I'm investing in my own negawatts by improving my home's efficiency, and saving up for solar hot water and eventually PV.

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusblue @ Apr 28 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]246586[/snapback]</div>
    They are cheap for a Prius ($29.95 for 1 year based on 12K miles/year). I'm thinking about getting my wife one for her Honda Pilot for Mother's Day- that would be $79.95 per year.

Our local green power program gives you the option of offsetting 50% of your electric bill, which I am now doing, or 100%

4. priusblue

priusblue New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 28 2006, 09:42 AM) [snapback]246594[/snapback]</div>
    I had to buy the $40 one for my prius and the same for the honda b/c I drive 20,000/yr in the Prius but only 10,000 in the Honda. Hopefully next year I'll be able to lower my mileage!

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They say that a Prius driven 8,000 miles per year (which is more than I've driven year year so far, but I drive more here in Spokane than I did in Fargo) puts 2,817 lbs of carbon into the atmosphere per year, but then they say that a 6,000 lb Terrapass would balance one year of my driving.

I want more independent information of their bona fides before I'll send them any money. It's too easy for any scam artist to put up a web page.

Some questions:

1. Are they really doing what they say?
    2. How much are the executives making?
    3. How much of your donation goes to advertising and fund-raising. (Some charities spend more on fund-raising than on their core projects.)
    4. When they fund a company, do they require a contract that obliges the owner to repay them in the event the project is not completed?
    5. Do they fund companies that use unfair labor practices?
    6. When they give money to a company, is it a gift to the owner of the company, or do they receive stock and dividends to re-invest in more projects?
    7. If I donate to them, how many email and snailmail lists will I get on, sending me begging letters?

I could probably think of lots more, and you probably can, too. There are lots of good, legitimate charities and environmental organizations out there competing for donations. This looks like a clever tactic in the donations war. Do I want to contribute to the outfit with the cleverest pitch, or do I want to do my own research and donate to the outfits that seem to make the most efficient use of my money?

I once sent a sizeable donation to an organization that seemed to be doing good stuff. From that time on, until I moved, they sent me begging letters several times a month. Every one told me about some new "emergency" for which they desperately needed me to make another donation. It turns out that my entire donation went to the fund-raiser, and all the organization got was my name and address. Now I donate to local organizations where I know something of their actual work and their reputation in the community, and long-standing national organizations with an established track record. I give substantially, but very selectively. Once bitten, twice shy.

6. priusblue

priusblue New Member

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member