1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

terrorists fears drives oil market

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NOPEC Chris, Aug 9, 2005.

1. NOPEC Chris

NOPEC Chris New Member

:cussing: HOW CAN FEAR AFFECT THE PRICE OF A BARREL OF OIL AND NOT FACTS.

:idea: ARE THE THOUSANDS OF HYBRIDS ALREADY SOLD DISPLACING THE COST OF GAS IN OUR COUNTRY

2. SemperFi

SemperFi New Member

Causes speculation in the market. Big issue is that terrorists might destroy a pipeline somewhere or otherwise affect the flow of oil from certain countries lowering supply. Demand continues to rise so as supply is threatened price rises.

Hybrids help but more drivers are coming than Hybrids can help. Even if the entire U.S. were to drive Hybrids starting today we would still consume more gasoline 10-15 years from today because of the increase of drivers on the road all things being equal. The big driver of this train is also China which is using an incredible amount of oil to fuel its economy.

Only expect things to get worse and not better even without terrorist fears affecting the market.

3. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lucky for us, the price will eventually get high enough it will start to really affect whether or not people drive. What they drive will eventually be affected as well.

I feel like something close to $3 per gallon is going to be the ceiling for what is tolerable for most people. After SUV and truck owners start paying $70 to fill up a beast that can barely do 300 miles before it needs fuel again, they'll realize they don't quite need so much vehicle.

With supplies as tight as they are and such miniscule excess production and refining capacity, any little oil event is going to push the price up. Tanker crash, pipeline explosion, refinery fire, all could cause more price increases.

Once I sell my WRX, I don't really care how high it goes, I can afford to drive.

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Money once directed at 'fun' will go towards gas. That's all the harm I'm expecting to experience.

Trick is, the 'fun' budget pays for cable TV and other random incidentals I'd prefer not to live without...

5. NOPEC Chris

NOPEC Chris New Member

what i'm sayihg is how can fear itself affect oil prices without the harm being done yet. if fear can drive prices higher why wouldn't OPEC have a relationship with the terrorists so they could make a bigger profit.
    if osama came on the tv tomorrow and threatened to blow up every pipeline in the middle east and never actually did it but yet prices went over $3.00 a gallon what is the justification of the price hike

Semper Fi to Semper Fi
    I was in First Tank Battalion, Delta Company, 9-11-90 / 9-10-94

6. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hoo-ya to ya. USAF here, and my bro just got out of the USMC a few days ago.

It's not Osama that's driving the price up, it's the commodities traders. If they have any reason at all to drive the price up, they will. It's all speculation. If a trader sees Osama make a threat against oil pipelines or pumping facilities, the trader considers the likelyhood that Osama will go through with it. If he considers it likely, a scarcity of oil could ensue, which would drive up the price (reduced supply). Therefore, the commodoties trader (along with others) buys into oil futures, driving up the price. If many were selling, the price would probably drop.

7. NOPEC Chris

NOPEC Chris New Member

your replies are great but it is still the same as i said which is fear is controlling the market insted of actual facts that has happened. if people are trading in fear than the actual perpestive is miscalculated from the facts of what is really is happening.