1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Terror's True Roots

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Aug 3, 2006.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Someone brought up "terror" today and how it applied to the goings on in the Middle East and Israel. Here for your educational enrichment is an artilce from Mr. Dershowitz. Enjoy. Opine if you like...

BY ALAN DERSHOWITZ

The oft-reported mantra that "occupation causes terrorism" is false. Occupations, like Israel's presence in the West Bank, are often the necessary result of attacks by insurgent groups and terrorists - not the other way around.

History and contemporary experience make this clear.

First, Palestinian terrorism began well before there was any Israeli occupation. It started in 1929 when the grand mufti of Jerusalem ordered a terrorist attack against Jewish residents of Hebron, whose families had lived in that Jewish holy city for generations.

Second, terrorism against Israel got worse after Israel ended its occupation of southern Lebanon and Gaza, as these unoccupied lands became launching pads for rockets, missiles and kidnappings.

Third, other occupied people, for example the Tibetans, have never resorted to terrorism against innocent Chinese civilians, though their occupation has been longer and more brutal than anything experienced by the Palestinians.

Fourth, while it may be that a brutal occupation can increase the number of people willing to become suicide bombers, it is also true that no suicide bomber ever sent himself. They are sent by well-educated, affluent leaders like Osama Bin Laden, who do not live in occupied areas.

Fifth, Islamic terrorists have sworn to continue terrorism even if Israel were to end its occupation of the West Bank. They regard all of Israel as occupied.

And so, occupation does not cause terrorism. But terrorism does cause occupation and reoccupation. Israel would have left Gaza and much of the West Bank long ago if not for the fear of terrorism from that area. It never would have gone into southern Lebanon in 1982 were that area not being used as a base for terrorism.

If the international community cannot or will not protect Israel citizens against rocket attacks, kidnappings and suicide bombings, Israel will have no choice other than some limited and hopefully temporary form of reoccupation to protect itself. Nor will it leave the West Bank unless it can be assured that the areas it leaves will not become launching pads for increased terrorism.

Imagine what the U.S. would have done if Germany or Japan, which it occupied after World War II, persisted in attacking the United States from occupied or recently unoccupied areas. And Germany and Japan do not adjoin our country the way Gaza, the West Bank and Lebanon adjoin Israel.

There is, of course, a difference between civilian settlements and a military presence in a hostile war zone. Regardless of what happens in Lebanon, Israel should begin to dismantle civilian settlements deep in the West Bank that have no military purpose. But it will be difficult to end completely the military presence - the checkpoints, the teams that search out terrorists, the network of electronic protections - without the assurance of an international force that will be at least as effective in controlling terrorism as the Israeli Army has been.

There has been far less terrorism from the occupied West Bank than from the unoccupied south Lebanon and Gaza. That lesson will not be lost on Israelis as they look to the future.

Dershowitz, a professor of law at Harvard, is author of "Preemption: A Knife That Cuts Both Ways."

Originally published on August 3, 2006

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 3 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]297141[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting how there are no comments here from the usual suspects. I guess the article speaks for itself and the truth is hard to swallow. Forget about the media, attemtps to justify the indefensible, redefining morals and ethics - the truth is self-evident. It is now time for Israel to put the "discussions" to bed.

3. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 4 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]297637[/snapback]</div>
    This usual suspect got a bit bored with your continuous stream of one-sided views. I have come to conclude that you are not interested in any kind of exchange of ideas anyway. So why bother?

I realised I have better things to do than to try to give some perspective to people who stubbornly refuse to consider any argument that doens't fit in their belief. My time is too precious.

Cheers.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Aug 4 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]297644[/snapback]</div>
    If there if no refutation of fact (not views) then so be it. That was my original thought anyway.

And I have considered your arguments - I have concluded they are specious and one sided and do not fit the facts.

Cheers to you to. Have a nice weekend. And hope that one day there will be peace.

David

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 3 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]297141[/snapback]</div>
    db

Great find! I don't know how I missed this until now but I would say the reason there is so little comment is that when the truth is so clear and insightfully put forth the only response, other than agreement or silence is something like vtie's. Since vtie’s post is simply a personal attack against you he has unwittingly enforced and given more credence to the truth of the article. No response other than silence, personal attack or an attempt to change the subject is a sure acquiesce to the point of view put forth. Furthermore, his condemnation of your ability to consider the other side of an argument smacks a bit of the Pot calling the Kettle black. Personally I think of you more as a pleasing shage of Gray. Darker on some subjects and lighter on others. As for the preciousness of his time, that’s a bit arrogant. Vtie put forth your views I am sure there are others around that would like to hear or consider a different POV. I don’t think it will be me but then again you never know. :rolleyes:

Wildkow

p.s. BTW vtie shame on you for copping out remember this the only reason Nazi Germany was allowed to florish was from lack of countering ideas . . .

The way to combat noxious ideas is with other ideas. The way to combat falsehoods is with truth.
    William O. Douglas (1898 - 1980)

Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809 - 1894)

and

One of the greatest pains to human nature is the pain of a new idea.
    Walter Bagehot (1826 - 1877)

So spread the pain BABY!! :p

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Oct 26 2006, 06:33 AM) [snapback]338488[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for your support. People like the one you mention obviously have a different agenda than truth seeking. People who believe we make terrorists by spreading the concept of democracy and the virtues of a free society also have different agendas. Those that say we were better off with Saddam or the people of Iraq were better off with him also have a different agenda. That all being said, I will always support freedom, free societies over fear societies, and the US of A.

You are right in that the lack of response from this entire BB over this post/topic spoke volumes to thost that listened.

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 26 2006, 08:12 AM) [snapback]338502[/snapback]</div>
    I have to say I've been educated and agree with Wildkow's statments..... LOL but who am I , just a lowly hipster.... :rolleyes:

8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 4 2006, 09:45 AM) [snapback]297653[/snapback]</div>
    Funny, because what you mean by that is that vtie's arguments do not fit your "facts" which are FICTIONS

9. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Aug 4 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]297644[/snapback]</div>
    I find it interesting dbermanmd when someone provides a rather complete review of the history of terrorism with the documentary "Power of Nightmares" you reacted the same way as you claimed on August 4th other people did. You refused to view the film nor give it an objective chance when it may have provided some insights into the subject of terrorism. You flatly just take the opposing view.

So, I agree with vtie that if people are to have a constructive interchange with someone there should at least be some level of respect for others. An example of how much disrespect you provide people is apparent when you use the terms "usual suspects" in the second posting of this thread. It is obvious when people use this type of language they are not intending to elict objective and constructive dialog. Quite the opposite.

As a result, I don't understand why you are any different than the "usual suspects" you have disdain for. Think about it. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It is simply the golden rule.

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Yawn.

The following is not for you doberman, but for anyone willing to accept facts:

Israel's long-standing occupation of the West Bank has been justified on two counts through the years: one, as a buffer zone (or war zone as the case may be) against Jordan initially, and later against a potentialy hostile state in the territory. Second, to further the goals of a segment of Israeli society that views the W. Bank as a historical land of the Jews.

Terrorism in or from the W. Bank was rare in the 70's, gained traction in the 80's, and is how you see it now from the 90's onward. Unlike you, I have *walked* alone across almost every part of the W. Bank from Jerusalem northward in the 1970's. It was pretty safe then, but would be a death invitation (or worse) now.

External funding may facilitate an insurgency, but it does not create the local conditions. Occupation does that. The British know this, as do the Nazi era Germans. NeoCons apparently, do not.

Lastly, the fact that *some* people will not be satisfied until no Jew is left in the Middle East, is not any sort of rational argument in the occupation causing terrorism question.

Is that guy really from Harvard ??

Now, to Doberman: In general I ignore you for the same reason I ignore squishy: I don't care to waste my time, whether the inanity of the moment is mindless fascism, or racist hate talk. The two of you are interesting bedfellows.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 26 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]338604[/snapback]</div>
    R U having fun? Accusing me of lying does not make your views or convictions any less wrong or mundane.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Oct 26 2006, 01:15 PM) [snapback]338669[/snapback]</div>
    You are going to give me nightmares. I did not see michael moores film, i did not see the "documentary" you cited above - I get enough information from enough different sources to make my mind up thanks. I cannot read and view everything. And I do respect those that respect me - unless you are joining the chorus of one who ceaselessly accusses me of lying to assuage herself...

But his post stands on its own merrits, no. Alan Dershowitz is a fairly well respected fairly smart guy. What he says if factual. What evidence can you provide to disuade those from believing his statements? Certainly if you saw this "documentary" you can "cliff notes" arguments showing where the good professor of law at Harvard is wrong.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Oct 26 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]338777[/snapback]</div>
    ? - You have totally lost me. Which side are you arguing? When you were in the West Bank, were you throwing stones or plotting to harm innocent women and children? Who knows, you still may find the West Bank safe.

12. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 3 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]297141[/snapback]</div>
    Read it twice and still don't know what terror's true roots are. I don't disagree with Dershowitz, OTOH I don't know whose "mantra" this is. Who was he rebutting? Surely no one in this forum. I certainly don't believe that Israeli occupation is the cause of terrorism in the region. OTOH I do believe that the occupation of IRAQ is the cause of some of the terrorism there and enables some other terrorism there.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Oct 26 2006, 04:08 PM) [snapback]338824[/snapback]</div>
    I think that no matter where we are, in or out of the Middle East like prior to 9/11, there will be terrorists until we can modernize their thoughts and/or their religious indoctrination that creates the mindset that it is ok to kill. The terrorists know (and I am including Iran in this) that if we succeed in Iraq their Holy War becomes near impossible to accomplish.

This is a battle being fought on many fronts - in Europe, in the Middle East - everywhere. By withdrawing from Iraq we will create a HUGE power vacuum that will make our future battles with them pale in comparison to what we are facing now.

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 26 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]338792[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not arguing, only pointing out that neither you or the author you quote have a clue. At the time I mentioned, I was in the Israeli infantry, and used to enjoy my leaves by hiking up and down the country alone, as was common among my generation. I bothered no-one, and no-one ever bothered me. In the late 1970's, a right wing party took over the country (Begin's LIKUD), and rapid expansion of jewish settlements, accompanied by land expropriation and increased Israeli military presence to guard the settlements paralled the rise in W. Bank terrorism.

Stone throwing *was* common, but not by arabs. Jewish religious extremists were the usual culprits, stoning jews who violated their notion of saturday sanctimony.

Sorry for the reality. Back to your usual fascist fantasies.

15. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 26 2006, 02:39 PM) [snapback]338792[/snapback]</div>
    The purpose of suggesting that you see the documentary "Power of Nightmares" is because this program has information that has been withheld from the people of the United States. Now that you know this, and I apologize for not making that clearer, I would hope you would prioritize some time to view this program. If you have little time then merely see the 3rd (last) episode as it does a credible job at summarizing the two prior hours. I was totally respecting your ability to use critical thinking and I realize you have many sources of information. However, this program has a perspective which I "know" you have never been exposed to. Not many have. I only wish for you that the importance of this information is more important to you than the mere acceptance of your current understanding. In fact, this is pivotal in understanding this subject. I am hoping you accept my comments as intended. No spin given. No BS. Just my wanting to share something very important.

Please be objective as you review this material. This television documentary, produced by the BBC should be able to be seen in this country. As you view this program, ask yourself why this material has been withheld from a country which respects free speech and holds this freedom as a corner stone of it's values.

Power of Nightmares Part 1 of 3

Power of Nightmares Part 2 of 3

Power of Nightmares Part 3 of 3

So, it is your choice to either accept your current position without the benefit of this material or continue our dialog given a more informed position. I was not kidding when I told you this material has been prevented from being licensed to air in this country. I would think that would concern everyone no matter what your political stands are.

I pray you accept my sharing of this with you as I have intended.

Thank you

16. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To add to what Three60guy said about The Power of Nightmares, the documentary has nothing to do with right or left wing politics. It was produced by the BBC as 3-60 mentioned, they could care less about US politics quite frankly. But I can say, regardless of your political stance, if viewed with an open mind, you will learn a lot by watching. From my standpoint, me being a Wellstone liberal, learned much from it, many of my preconcieved viewpoints have been changed as a result of seing this. I presently have a DVD of it loaned to one of my Republican friends, so far his (only seen part 1 so far), opinion is "wow, what an eye opener". I really encourage everyone to watch this.

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Oct 26 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]339068[/snapback]</div>
    The same BBC who almost had its broadcasts pulled from Israeli TV? No they are very even-handed when producting "documentaries" of the Arab-Israeli "situation".

If you would please give the "cliff notes" version of it I would be most appreciative.

Thanks

18. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Oct 26 2006, 07:14 PM) [snapback]339053[/snapback]</div>
    Man the HiRes copies are not easy to find and then dl, I hate streaming video. BTW who is preventing them from being aired over here?

Wildkow

19. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 27 2006, 08:08 AM) [snapback]339204[/snapback]</div>
    dbermanmd:

I must admit that you disappoint me. Very much, in fact. In fact you have made me angry. Why? I have spent time trying my level best to give you the benefit of the doubt that you would come around if treated with respect. But you prove me wrong. You merely want me to spend even more time to give you a "cliff notes" version just so you can dismiss that as well? I don't think so. How many times do you think you can do that and not get a negative reaction?

I am now totally convinced you do not have the ability to be even 1% objective. In my opinion, you do not have the ability to accept anything other than your own viewpoints. In summary, you are stuck in your own world and will never see any other point of view even when confronted with the evidence because you won't even look at that evidence. I am now concluding that any further attempts on my part would be a total waste of time and I won't even return to this thread because I already know where you are going by giving the same tantrum of replies you have in the past. In the past I have always felt people are reasonable if treated reasonably. You have downright proved that wrong.

Oh, one more thing. If you, on the other hand, respond to people the way you do just to piss them off then shame on you. That is such an indictment about you.

If you feel I have not shown you respect with this posting then you would finally be correct. You have lost my respect. Go ahead tell me how now you don't respect me, yada yada. I don't give a rip anymore. I was sharing very important information with you and all you did was dismiss it with absolutely no consideration at all. Damn, that is so disrespectful. You are going to be the first person I have ever put on ignore on Priuschat.

To the others who read this, I apologize that you had to read this. I have found "almost" everyone else to be reasonable and forthcoming on PriusChat. But dbermanmd had crossed a line for me. Too bad because had he taken the time I was reasonably sure the ensuing conversations about the subject of this thread could have been very good ones. Alas, I was wrong in that conclusion too.

This concludes my involvement in this thread.

20. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 26 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]338840[/snapback]</div>
    Modernize their thoughts?!?

Are you *serious*?!?

I think it's safe to say that we, a pseudo-Christian state bent on imposing our will/wants/desires through violence, could use a little "modernization" ourselves, as you euphemistically refer to it.

Are evening classes available?

You're cracking me up with this stuff!!

"...modernize their thoughts..."
    [riotous laughter]