1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Tesla burning through NZ$12,000 every minute amid Model 3 production woes

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla burning through $12,000 every minute amid Model 3 production woes | Stuff.co.nz

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :coffee::sleep: ZZZZZZZZZ..........

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    That is $8k US dollars as the link is a New Zealand source.

bisco likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Updated the title, thanks!

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Gottas to book that vacation to New Zealand. What are the holidays in New Zealand?

Bob Wilson

6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Fortunate enough to spend 2 weeks in New Zealand about a dozen years ago. At the time one of the cleanest air/water quality areas on earth. My wife and I said we'd spend the rest of our lives there if it weren't for the kids in the states. Would you believe that now their rivers are suffering from animal waste pollution, too many cows and sheep. But a fascinating place worth visiting both islands.

7. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just glad Tesla forced most other automakers to start taking EV's more seriously. Remember how they kept screaming and insisting that "nobody wants electric cars?" Then the Model S started stealing a lot of their luxury car sales.

Even Toyota is being dragged, kicking and screaming, into the plug-in EV era, their hydrogen fuel cell adventures notwithstanding, thanks largely to China telling them, in complete mobster voice, "Nice set of cars you got here. Be a shame if you couldn't sell any of them here because they don't have a plug on them..."

Sarcasm aside, Tesla has always had production woes and was always late on their promises. But the resulting products were usually worth waiting for, and they wouldn't of gotten hundreds of thousands of people plunking down $1000 or its monetary equivalent around the world if the Model 3 sucked.

I also love how all these other automakers were using the Model S as their standard to beat. Then Musk pulls out Roadster 2.0, including that promised "maximum plaid mode" (a reference to the movie Spaceballs) that will put gas supercars that cost millions to shame. 620 mile range is more than most gas cars, and I think it's on par with the Prius Prime, which should help silence critics of "I need an EV that can do 500+ miles, even if I never actually drive that distance in a gas car!" as more EV's show up with longer ranges.

Yes, Roadster 2.0 isn't for the everyman, but it should help advance EV tech as a whole, which will bring the costs down and make them more affordable to everyone later on. Remember when cell phones and computers used to be only available to the super rich as well?

So even if Tesla were to suddenly just go belly up and disappeared, Elon Musk already achieved his original goal of setting the EV ball rolling. And with many nations around the world looking to reduce their carbon footprint, the current US administration putting their political head in the sand notwithstanding, EV's will be here to stay now.

pilotgrrl and bisco like this.
  8. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They're spending more than I would prefer, but keep in mind they're still in their infancy. A lot of money went into expanding Superchargers and stores. That's pretty much done, don't see why they'd spend much more $ there.

They also seem to be fairly effective at cutting costs: they laid off the majority of the ex-SolarCity commissioned sales staff, and the most popular Supercharger destinations will soon be revenue streams as well by selling coffee, snacks, and merch.

Honestly I think they should sell way more merch lol.