1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla- get ready for competition from other players - good for everyone

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by John321, Apr 9, 2020.

1. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Latest news release on KIA and Electrify America on a Nationwide joint EV DC fast charging agreement.

Electrify America NEWSROOM

Hopefully even more players are lining up to make this segment very competitive for price and value where no one manufacturer is seen as the only game in town!

Montgomery likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they got a whole lotta catching up to do. and by then, tesla will be in another stratosphere.

what the 'other' mfgs need to do is join together and create one charging buildout plan. but they are probably too competitive for that to happen, to their own undoing.

Montgomery likes this.
  3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, coronavirus will only put them further behind because they won't want to invest for the long term when they are hurting in the short term.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ...especially oil over flowing...and cheap.

Montgomery likes this.
  5. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    the other players are all competing for the same high end market with smoke and mirrors

nothing to see here

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and gasser sales will boom when we get rolling again...

Montgomery likes this.
  7. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    gas won’t stay low for long,
    Expect a dead bounce FY21

since domestic has been blowing cash and not profitable 2012+ expect the capped wells to stay offline longer especially given the expected mid range economics

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep...I moved a few dollars into oil.

Montgomery likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope you're right, i have too many energy stocks, and they were hurting before covid

10. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You should switch to ESG funds. Might take a hit due to energy being low, but I bet you'll sleep better at night, for a variety of reasons.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the tip. ironically, i had been doing that with the dividends, but felt the energy stocks were too low to sell.
    now, there's not enough to bother. can only hope they'll come back a bit, but they probably have a deeper dive to take first

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it will boil down to catching up with Tesla. I just don't think the ultimate evolution will be about that,
    I think the evolution to a more EV based automotive future will be a more homogenized action. With automakers offering EV vehicles simply because they make sense and have a growing market. I credit and applaud Tesla for being a pioneer on this front, with changing the image of what an EV vehicle could be, and showing that from a performance perspective they could be not only NOT a compromise, but an advantage.
    But the truth about pioneers is they go ahead. Then everyone else follows. And they don't necessarily follow in the exact same path, or even to the exact same destination.

I recently watched an interesting Sci-Fi movie called Upgrade. Absolutely NO spoilers here. I'm only going to talk about the vision of the future the movie presented from one singular NON-Plot revealing aspect.
    The movie takes place in a maybe not so distant future, where automotive technology and acceptance seems to have reached an embracing and application of at least 3 approaches and technologies. Fully Electric, Self Driving Vehicles, Electric Vehicles, and ICE vehicles.
    The main character, restores "classic" ICE vehicles, for wealthy clients.
    This is NOT what the movie is about, it's just peripherally the trappings of the environment it takes place.

But it was interesting to me because I think that's more and more the future I could envision reaching. Not the Jettisons vision of a clean, singular option being used by everyone, but a future where economic, social strata, maybe personal choice, create a world where what we choose to own and operate as personal transportation, is varied and crosses boundaries.

For me I admit that I may of been wrong about the pace of acceptance, development and integration of EV's. If you would of asked me 5 years ago, where we would be in 20 years, I think my answer in terms of integration and acceptance of EV's would of been far, far more conservative.
    But with the success of Tesla, and I think an ever expanding real infrastructure of charging stations and options, as well as automakers now starting to come along for the ride?

I'm "Upgrading" my speculative vision for an EV, maybe even self driving vehicle future. It may all be here in a much more accepted and tangible mainstream reality a lot faster than I thought just a short while ago.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk, i'm still waiting to get out of 3% jail. and this virus is going to delay things even more

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV