1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla Gets $350 Million Federal Loan for Model S

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by JSH, Feb 11, 2009.

1. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  2. kiwibruce

kiwibruce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Better They get the money than the clowns at the big 3. At least they will do something with it in our lifetimes. Still... Pricey thought...

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's HUGE news...fantastic.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I see nothing wrong with Tesla getting the funds, they should get more as a matter of fact. They'd probably spend it much more wisely than - oh - Merrill Lynch for example

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sweet, at least the money's going to be put to good use, rather than, - oh I don't know - used to lobby for more money?

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Naw, they wouldn't do THAT, would they?

7. PeakOilGarage

PeakOilGarage Nothing less than 99.9

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I am a huge Tesla Motors fan (see my sig below) and I am thrilled that they are getting the loan money. Tesla has done more to change the perceptions of electric vehicles than any other company.

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Fantastic! I don't just want them to stay in business so I can buy the Model S... I want to work for them!

9. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I presume the Model S is the expensive sporty sedan. I won't be in the market for it if my electric Porsche actually materializes. But had it been available earlier I'd have jumped on it. One problem: Like the Roadster, it probably will involve a long waiting list, because lots of people are going to want one!

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you're serious, I'd suggest phoning them now. It's likely they have a pre-list, and by the time the real list opens the first year's production will already be spoken for. This could be the first "real" electric car to go on the market since GM crushed the EV-1, and there's going to be a lot of folks who'll give their eye teeth for one.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sent an e-mail yesterday via their "contact" info yesterday. Do you think a phone call will make a difference?

I won't be planning to buy until about June of 2011, but I figure with the typical delays and those with priority I'll be lucky to have one available by even then.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I wasn't in the lower 30% on the Aptera wait list, and hoping for delivery in 8 - 10 months, AND I had the extra dough, I'd do it. Still for my usual commute w/ a car pool'er the 3 wheeler will do the trick, with a smaller drag coefficiency to boot.

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I was talking to them a couple of years ago (which ended with my visiting them and getting a ride in a Roadster prototype) they were inconsistent about answering emails. They probably get thousands. With long-distance rates below a nickel a minute, I'd give them a call. Again. I'd only bother them if I was serious.

BTW, I ended up communicating with a saleslady whose name I forget. She told me if I visited (from so far away) she'd get me a ride, even though they were not offering rides to walk-in visitors. We set a date, and she gave me a phone number to reach her at. When I got there I phoned the number, and it was not her number. Someone answered who knew nothing about her or Tesla. It was a wrong number. I found my way to their place, where the receptionist told me the saleslady was out that day. They found someone to give me the tour, and since there were no walk-in visitors that day, he did give me a ride, but it was clear that he thought the saleslady's promise was irregular. Later, when I had more questions, I emailed this man and he answered my emails. I forget his name also.

The saleslady ought to have given me a correct number or none at all, and ought to have let me know she was not going to be there after all, and should have left word at Tesla that I was coming and she had made that promise. I would never knowingly deal with her again. But I do not fault Tesla. As far as communication, I am sure they are overwhelmed with emails, and probably more so now with the announcement in the OP.

16. PeakOilGarage

PeakOilGarage Nothing less than 99.9

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The owners of the Tesla Roadster (about 1,200 people) get the right to buy the Tesla Sedan first.

The Tesla Sedan will be unveiled on March 26th at the SpaceX factory near Los Angeles. That is where Elon Musk has his rocket company. Because of security, it is also where Tesla has their design studio.

They will begin accepting deposits for the Tesla Sedan at that same time.

Even if you make a deposit right away, you will likely be #1,000+ on the waiting list. As a favor to the early owners who made large deposits on the Tesla Roadster (and waited two years) they are receiving front of the line options on the Sedan and a $10,000 discount.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, I'd heard that...but do you really think over 1000 of the 1200 roadster people will also want the sedan? I was hoping/thinking maybe 100-200 of them.

18. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That depends on why they bought the roadster. Did these people buy a roadster because they wanted a two-seat sports car or did they buy it because it was the only full-feature EV for sale? I suspect many of the roadster buyers would have preferred to have a sedan. With the rarity of any EV's they should have no problems selling the roadster if they buy a Model S and don't want both cars.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may well be correct, but I assumed just the opposite. That these people had enough money to buy a fancy sports car, wanted a super fast cool unique sports car and when an EV came out that was all the rage that's what they bought...that a relatively small proportion bought it b/c it was the only EV available.

But who know, maybe a lot of the Roadster folks have 'seen the light' and now want to fill their garage with EVs.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'll speak for myself: I wanted a freeway-capable EV and would have bought the Roadster had it been available the day I was given a ride. But I really didn't want a roadster-type car (the seats were uncomfortable, and even the improved seats in the final car I think are very low to the floor) and I decided I'd rather have a Xebra than wait a year and a half.

I didn't like the two-speed transmission (which they eventually scrapped) and had no interest in the extreme power and no need for more than 100 miles of range. The transmission was intended to provide even greater acceleration at the low end and speed at the high end. It was clearly aimed not at the EV market but at the sports car market.

My guess (talking through my hat here because this is pure unfounded opinion) is that most of the Roadster buyers will have minimal interest in the sedan. Some will, of course. And some will want a family car. And this will be a fast "sporty" sedan. I'm going to guess more than 200 but less than 1,000. Maybe 500.