1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla Model S Gets Highest Safety Rating

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Aug 20, 2013.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Not just high - but highest of any car ever tested;

Tesla Model S Achieves Best Safety Rating of Any Car Ever Tested | Press Releases | Tesla Motors

Anicdotally - there's a pic on the web of a horrific headon collision in our nearby Laguna Canyon not too long ago. Model S vs late model Accord. Tesla driver - minor scrapes / walked away from it. Both. Honda occupents killed at the scene. Talk about PR safety ... and yet Honda scores high on both frontal & front corner crashes.

Sergiospl likes this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The similar scenario happened between a Volt and an Accord with the same unfortunate outcome.

Three Killed When Driver Crashes Into Oncoming Vehicle in Granada Hills | NBC Southern California

3. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That wasn't a late model Accord. I believe it was a 92 or 93. No front airbags. They could have died in a head on collision with a coyote.
    I am very sorry anyone died, but you can't compare current safety ratings against the safety of a 20 year old car.

lensovet likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Those in GM (or formerly in GM) who killed the EV1 should read this story . . .

Bob Wilson

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    #1 it was anecdotal. #2, Our local new station said it was newer. #3 Even if the news station was wrong .... even the older (fifth generation / early 90's) Honda Accords did in fact have front air bags. From Wiki Honda Accord history:
    I think Tesla oughta re-think it's marketing. how about . . . . "C'mon Ford 350 super dudy Pick up's ... you wana piece of me?!? "
    The bottom line is - with no ICE ... the whole front end of the model S become one hellatious crumple zone that can REALLY take a mongo hit. Think of the tesla's 'X' competition, the high dollar Fisker Karma. With their history - one has to wonder whether they'd catch fire.
    ;)

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Partially correct, the 93' Accord had a single driver's airbag. My apologies for the mistake, I thought it had none.

Honda Accord Compare - Safety and Reliability - MSN Autos

I agree the heavier weight puts a lighter car at more risk. As soon as someone builds a smaller car (EV) with a 160 mile range I expect to switch to it.

That said, if there is an off center crash between a 93 Accord and a 2013 Accord, or a 2013 Prius for that matter, I wouldn't want to be the driver, much less the passenger in the Accord.

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Either way its a tragedy. Did they ever get to the bottom of why the tesla crashed into the honda on that dangerous road. I just read some articles, and said there was a mercedes that may have been distracting it (racing, cup, etc). Those poor people in the honda and there families.

I don't think Tesla really wants to go there, I don't think they want to sell based on safety. Mercedes and Volvo were the leaders in safety though, and crash tests seem to have crowned the tesla model S the new leader. That should help get rid of the FUD that BEVs are not as safe as normal cars. Even the tesla roadster driver survived when a prius and toureg tried to kill him.
    Tesla Totaled In Colossal Collision | Autopia | Wired.com
    [​IMG]

9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am also in for the Tesla "Model E" Will Tesla's 2017 3rd-Generation Car Be Called The Model E?

If the smaller vehicle is made with the same materials, aluminun etc.. and quality of the Model S, 200 mile-range will probably cost a lot more! 50K?

Awesome!

10. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Aren't modern front engine cars made so the engine submarines under the passenger compartment in a crash allowing a crumple zone back to the firewall?

I recall a 300Z crash that happened near my house where the car ran off the road, over-corrected, rode up the opposite bank and hit a tree about 8 feet above the road surface by the scar and then launched itself over a fire hydrant coming down after a 270 on the road. The two kids who were test driving it walked away. The engine was lying separate on the ground. I watched this one as it happened. Only to be followed 2 years later within 50 feet by a similar 300Z t-boneing a truck. The Z's engine lay under the chassis. Again survivors. I only heard the second accident but I saw the results from 5 feet away.

11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I would guess if the blue star is bmw 3 sized it would be a model C, not E. This goes with the S and X naming conventions. I am not that fond of the Germanic naming conventions though, and perhaps it will get a name instead of just a letter followed by a battery pack size.

I would think the only way blue star would approach $50K is if you loaded it up with options. Tesla should be able to drop the price of battery packs by at least 20%. We can guess at a break down current prices of the 60kwh model S as $24,000 in battery costs, $18,000 in margin, which leaves about $30,000 for the rest of the car. Say the battery becomes slightly smaller and costs $18,000 at the start and we target $37,500 before tax credit (which will run out in later years). You can spend $11,000 on a higher volume possibly steel plus aluminum body and still have $8500 in margin on the blue star. Cost cutting won't be easy but that is definitely doable.

Sergiospl likes this.
  12. nasimiyu

nasimiyu New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Model S "refused" to roll over and it "broke the testing machine". What a beast! I really like this car! :)

efusco and austingreen like this.
  13. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree, I would prefer Model "C" instead of "E", starting at $37,500 to loaded for about 50K would be nice.
    I would drop the word "Model" altogether for a simple model & trim designation;

Model S = Tesla S60, S85, S85P

Model X = Tesla X60, X85, X85P

Model C = Tesla C60, C85, C85P

austingreen likes this.
  14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    WoW !! That is one funny rebuke. It was best summed up by one of the commenters of the NHTSA 'rebuke'.
    In the same vein - I wonder why NHTSA doesn't comment more often - over other car companies who toot their own "safety" horns. They never seemed to be horrified how easily SUV's were ROLLING OVER and KILLING people, back when Firestone tires shredded apart, as owners were flying down the freeway - 60mph/70mph and above .... all the while, the public believing it's safer to be riding high & heavy. No hand slapping for their own short comings I guess. Maybe I ought to quit trying to reconcile the processes of behemoth fed/governmental agencies.
    ;)

16. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Oldsmobile Aurora had a similar roof crush test result way back in the day:

Oldsmobile Aurora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I personally find the Models "S" "E" "X" more amusing.

That said, I your cost analysis is ignoring the fact that Tesla receives money for carbon offsets for each of their cars. Part of their margin is the 15-20k (as I've heard) they get from other manufacturer without EVs or alternative energy cars.

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You can forget about those ZEV credits by the time the blue star comes out. This last quarter there was already a drop in revenue. Most of those were earned on roadsters and sold to honda.

Tesla ZEV credit changes will alter profit picture, but Musk still confident

It was actually profitable last quarter on a non-GAP basis with the diminished credits.

18. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On a non-GAAP basis, I'm a billionaire. Non-GAAP lets you pull numbers out of the air.

19. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You can decide yourself if you like or dislike their accounting, they included both sets of numbers. The main extraordinary item was accounting for leases. They took all the revenue at the inception date, and did not account for possible costs of buy back after leases.

The key here is the zev credits are extraordinary items that tesla expects to mainly dry up by the end of the year. They should not be included in accounting for future projects. I did not use them in my analysis.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone hear of the term from Model S owner(s) coined for Prius?

Pre-S :D