1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla Motors to build electric Toyota Rav4

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Presto, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tesla Motors to build electric Toyota Rav4 - Jul. 16, 2010

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Wow!

It looks like we're about to be inundated with EVs in 2012. I sure hope there is a pent-up demand outside of the Prius community ready for them.

GM's justification for crushing the EVs 'Nobody wants to buy them' will soon be tested.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    First Tesla-Toyota prototypes ID'd as RAV4, Lexus RX - Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal
    Tesla, Toyota to make electric RAV4 for US-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hiOe-Old1e5V7wHwqxtF4PCoehLwD9H067EG0

http://wot.motortrend.com/6668375/i...-with-tesla-hints-at-new-age-supra/index.html

I would have thought this thread would have 50 replies by now. I originally saw the article yesterday on my cell phone, and seeing the date was from the day before, I thought there would have been several threads and 50 comments on this by now.

I think it's absolutely great. I would be much happier if they announced an electric Corolla though. But I do see how, in the public's view, the RAV4 being an SUV is not perceived by the general public as "an economy car" and people would feel like they could buy it and still maintain some status with popular culture (for the record, I HATE HATE HATE SUVs!). But I see Toyota's logic - let's get the general public to accept this thing first. But still, the Corolla is a VERY successful selling car.
    (if they make an EV Corolla with a backup generator, I'll put down a cash deposit right now)

5. Doug

Doug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am very excited about the Rav4 news. I would buy a hybrid Rav4 today if it existed and if one is all electric with good range, count me in! Many of us need ground clearance because of the snow and country roads so a Rav4 is what we will wait for. We test drove the Ford Escape and thought the engine was nice but the rest just didn't compare with Toyota or Honda quality.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    peakoilgarage was converting 2009 Rav4's to EV & selling them as new cars. I don't know if they are continuing with 2010's.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's list? $79,000?

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Did they ever make one?
    I know they were having some troubles, that delayed the first one. I had not heard if they ever resolved them.

I love the idea of a RAV4ev. If it were available when the Leaf hits the market, we would definitely buy the RAV4ev before the Leaf.