1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla Roadster prototype

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by daniel, Feb 27, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yesterday I visited Tesla Motors in San Carlos, CA, about 45 minutes south of San Francisco, where I am visiting family for a few days. Anybody that is considering buying the car can view it there and get a presentation (by appointment). Nobody gets to drive it yet, but "members" (those who have put down a $50K priority deposit, or a $30K second-list deposit) will be given a ride in it. Since I was willing to travel so far to see it, and I guess they felt I was seriously interested, they made an exception and gave me a ride in it without being a "member."

Some time this summer they are going to build a run of the cars, and all members will be invited to test-drive it. Since the deposit is refundable, but the interest on it is not, the cost to drive it is the lost interest during the time your deposit is with them.

Most of what they told me in the presentation was stuff I already knew, and is available on their web site for all to read. One bit of trivia I was not aware of: The founder of Tesla Motors wanted a tzero. He was 4th on the waiting list. But they only ever built 3. So he founded the company so that he could have a similar car of his own.

A few points I was uncertain about were cleared up for me: The Tesla Roadster has traction control and ABS, but does not have VSC. The man told me that traction control would help prevent skidding, but would not correct a skid that had already begun. He also told me that a rear-wheel-drive car (which the Tesla is) is easier to control than a front-wheel-drive car, and therefore needs VSC less than a FWD car. I have no idea if this is true. The big battery pack is just ahead of the rear wheels, putting more weight on them. He told me the weight ratio, which I forgot, but he said it was calculated for optimum control.

Charging is linear. I.e. I was mistaken in thinking that a 2-hour charge would get you near full, with the last 3 hours being tapered. However, the charge time is less than I had thought: Using the 70-amp home charger (which must be installed in your garage by an electrician) a "standard" charge, to 92% SOC, takes 3 1/2 hours. You can program the car to take 100% charge if you want, but this will shorten battery life. You can also program it to charge at the time you set, so if you have off-peak electric rates you can take advantage of the lower night-time rate. Plugging the car into a standard 220-v 30-amp circuit will charge it from empty in 7 hours. Plugging it into a standard 110-v plug will charge it from empty in 24 hours. Since he told me charging is linear, the following should apply: Drive it 60 miles, you can top it off from a 110-v circuit in 6 hours. However, since the car is not intended for long road trips, you will probably always be charging it at home with the home charger. Its 250-mile range should be plenty for all but extended road trips.

Battery life is estimated at 5 years, and I forgot to ask what the replacement will cost. However, that's only an estimate. Full-charging and deep-discharging will shorten battery life, as will hard driving. Gentler driving, and charging before it's low will extend battery life.

The drive-train technology is leased from AC Propulsion.

The man who showed me around was optimistic about the expected reliability of the car. I have no idea whether that means anything. I think he is a salesman. The woman I had been talking to over the phone and by email was unable to be there, due to a family emergency.

THE RIDE: Impressions:

The car is very low to the ground, with a very low profile. To get in you face away from the car, then sit, then swing your legs in. I imagine this is normal for sports cars, but I have no experience to compare. To get out, you swing your legs out, slide your rump up onto the door sill, and then stand up. Not for extremely overweight people, or people with bad knees.

The seats in the prototype were not very comfortable, and had me leaning back. I was not sitting upright. However, he told me these are not the production seats, which he said will be more adjustable and more comfortable. But he didn't seem sure, or else wouldn't say, whether the production seats will allow a more upright seated position. I didn't like that leaned-back position. It seemed impossible to see towards the side-rear blind spots, and he told me there was no point in trying: you have to use the mirrors. I didn't like that. He said (and I did not like this idea at all!!!) that you don't need to see towards the back, because this car is so fast that if nobody is next to you you can change lanes by accelerating out of the way of any car that could possibly be in your blind spot. The obvious question is, What if it's another high-performance sports car? Bottom line: you'd better adjust your side mirrors properly and check them carefully before changing lanes.

The prototype had first gear disabled. So we drove in second. And still it had amazing acceleration. This car is POWERFUL!!!

But it is not quiet like the Prius, because it has a refrigeration system to cool the motor. It can be very quiet, under gentle driving, when the cooling is not needed. But don't expect "stealth" when you are hot-rodding in a Tesla. On the other hand, it puts out zero emissions. And since our electricity in WA comes from hydro, I could call this a water-powered car, if I owned one.

The man told me that due to its low profile, it handles very well in high winds. His own car is a 2005 Prius, so he knows about the cross-wind problem so many of us have experienced, and he insisted there is none of that in a Tesla.

The soft-top can be easily removed and stored below the floor of the (rather small) trunk. The trunk is big enough for all the groceries I usually buy at one time, if I have them in plastic bags, rather than paper. It is the width of the car, but very shallow and narrow. It would not hold a large suitcase, and I think it might not even carry the largest carry-on suitcase. This is not the car you'll drive to the airport. But you probably would not want to leave a $100 K car parked at the airport anyway. A hard top is an available option.

A valet mode restricts acceleration, speed, and range. Built-in NAV is an option, as is XM satellite. CD/MP3 with iPod connection is standard. PIN anti-theft system is standard.

My conclusion: I'd have bought one yesterday if it had been available to drive away. With an estimated delivery date of May, 2008, for orders placed now with a $50 K deposit, I'll have to ponder it a bit. The deposit is refundable, but the interest is not. It's a really nice-looking little car. It looks smaller in real life than it does in the photos. Could be a great girl-magnet, though I fear that even this car would not get me a girl. If it was half the price at half the power, I'd have ordered one. As it is, I'm still not sure. A much cheaper sedan version is, I believe, in the planning stage.

Base price is $92 K, but there's an $8 K premium for buyers outside their service area, to pay for the added cost to them of warranty service.

2. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wow! Thanks Daniel, excellent post!

:) B)

3. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I forgot one very important item:

I mentioned to the man who gave me the ride and the tour that I didn't like the fact that the car has gears. There are two gears, but no clutch. There's a shift lever that can be operated at any time. The woman I had talked to previously said that it operated electrically, and was analogous to the electric transaxle on a big truck.

So when I mentioned it to this man, he told me the reason is efficiency: The car is more efficient when operated in the appropriate gear, and he said the optimal point to shift was (if I remember correctly) around 60 mph.

You can easily drive it in second gear all the time, and as I experienced, it still has plenty of acceleration from a stop. But optimizing the efficiency, by having two gears, increases both the acceleration (it is a sports car after all, and their primary target buyer is a sports-car enthusiast) and the range.

I'd still rather have a single gear, somewhere between the two, with a top speed maybe 90 mph (I'd never drive faster than 80, for passing). It would have plenty of acceleration and would have one less part to go wrong. And maybe take a few K off the price. But again, I'm not their usual customer.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the post, Daniel! Sounds like you had fun, at least. Have you managed to wipe the EV grin off your face yet? Sucks that you had to travel all that way just for a little drive in a golf cart. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 27 2007, 07:05 AM) [snapback]397170[/snapback]</div>
    I'm willing to stipulate that it is far more FUN to drive a RWD vehicle without VSC!

This is the part that was missing from all the production cars. No way to terminate the charge before 100%. I very rarely need the entire full range of my EVs, so it is silly to abuse the battery with a full charge when not needed. All new cars will likely have this "almost full" feature that can be overridden for when full range is needed or wanted.

Goes without saying (which rarely stops me) - having properly adjusted side mirrors (and knowing how to use them correctly) is a rare thing to find these days, and VERY important to safety. With properly adjusted mirrors (simple procedure) you can confidently drive and change lanes without having to see out those rear quarter windows. I agree that saying the car's performance will keep you from harm is just silly.

Still bugs me that they are including a transmission.

I think you forgot the end of this line "not quiet like the Prius... when in stealth mode." If you hammer the Prius the ICE is plenty loud. And I assume louder than the Tesla.

Thanks again for the great report!

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    thanks for the info daniel. with a prototype, it might be tough, but what was your impression on the quality of the build? fit, finish?

i think that is important. also, tesla has mentioned other cars will be available including one leaning more towards family-oriented transportation after the initial production run right? if so, maybe that would be the thing to look at. but again, if that means another year of waiting...

*edit* hmmm... curious formating at Priuschat lately??

6. dipper

dipper Senior Member

VSC. It is not fun when on for fun driving. But will save your butt for normal driving.... especially when driving a balanced MR car in the rain.

Talk to Elise and/or S2000 owners and you will know. I know as I own a s2000. I will try not to drive my s2000 (2005, without VSC) when it pours.... especially being one of the many that have experienced spun out on turns. :lol:

So daniel, I don't know if you really want the Tesla as a daily driver up in Washington.

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 27 2007, 08:43 AM) [snapback]397224[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you very much for your report, it was very informative.

Interestingly, in the 1910 children's book Tom Swift and his Electric Runabout, Tom's car had gears, which was unusual for an electric.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First of all Daniel...you suck...I'm very jealous.
    Second, spill the beans dude, how fast did you go?

Can you give us some idea of how loud the car is? Did the volume/pitch/tone change during acceleration?

9. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Feb 27 2007, 09:45 AM) [snapback]397278[/snapback]</div>
    Their "whitestar" program is aimed at the $50k price point. 4-door sedan, five adults. ~250 mile range (basically the same running gear as the Tesla but the heavie vehicle will mean 0-60 in the sluggish (I jest) six second range.

But don't kid yourself into thinking that this is just another year of waiting. They just signed for the production plant, and don't yet even have a prototype. Three years would be the absolute minimum. 4-5 is likely more reasonable (or to put it another way, the Tesla buyers were to have their cars by now... and not one has shipped.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice report Daniel! You are one lucky bum!!

I think VSC is more useful in a RWD car than a FWD car. But a RWD w/out VSC can be quite fun if you know the limits.

11. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    thanks for the write-up. I'm not in a position where I can spend 100.000$ on a car, or rather that would have to be a hell of a practical car, which the tesla is not. I long for the day when the $50K whitestar is available and will buy one (like) it as soon as it's available here in Boston.

I'm glad they are making progress and hope to see production numbers soon!

It must be a hard decision buying a Tesla Roadster if you're not interested in sports cars. For me it's not practical enough outside of my commute as I need to fit at least my wife and two large dogs in it.

Instead I will start to take the Bus to work to minimize the energy I spend.

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very cool. Hopefully, if you mentioned any intent to write up the
    experience for some segment of the electric-propulsion enthusiast
    community, they saw that as a good thing. Y'might even call in the
    URL of the thread, so they can see how the free publicity is turning
    out. [That means, y'all, keep it professional in here plz...]
    _H*

13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Awesome write-up, Daniel! I'm very jealous!

Thanks for sharing all of the information.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Feb 27 2007, 08:49 AM) [snapback]397229[/snapback]</div>
    Too busy pondering to be grinning.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Feb 27 2007, 08:49 AM) [snapback]397229[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not a race-car driver. Safety is my first concern. I'd really rather have the VSC.

My mirrors are adjusted to the Tom & Ray specs. But I still like to glance to the side-rear when changing lanes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Feb 27 2007, 09:45 AM) [snapback]397278[/snapback]</div>
    Fit and finish were not good. It was definitely a prototype, not a finished product. I do not believe we can make any assumptions about the production cars based on the prototype.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Feb 27 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]397310[/snapback]</div>
    Spokane is not Seattle. We do get rain and snow, but nothing like the rain of the coast. With two mountain ranges between me and Seattle, Spokane is fairly dry.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 27 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]397319[/snapback]</div>
    Remember that I did not get to drive it. I only rode in it. We did not go all that fast. However, we accelerated very rapidly. Very briefly on the freeway, up to the speed limit in the blink of an eye; and on the surface streets, again, rapid acceleration but not to very high speeds.

The car seemed to me louder than the Prius. Floored, the motor is not quiet. I didn't realize until we were back at the shop that some of the noise was the refrigeration unit. Once the refrigerator shut off, and he moved the car slowly inside the building, it was silent. What I never got a chance to hear was the full noise of the refrigerator while I was outside of the car.

But remember, that if I say it's louder than the Prius, the driver was accelerating and braking hard the whole (fairly short) time. And I drive my Prius gently. Maybe, driven like the Prius, it would be quieter. He was definitely making that motor work.

It's also possible that it was not noisier: It could have been an artifact of my expectations: I was expecting an extremely quiet car, so the noise I heard seemed loud, and maybe that skewed the comparison. It annoyed me a bit because I love the near-absolute quiet of the Prius in electric mode, and that's what I was expecting with the Tesla. So maybe I'm overstating it. Memory is a very tricky thing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Feb 27 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]397366[/snapback]</div>
    As Darell says, the sedan is years away from production.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Feb 27 2007, 01:42 PM) [snapback]397444[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. I told Doreen that I was going to post my experiences here, and she was pleased about that.

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 27 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]397680[/snapback]</div>
    Understood!

Excellent. I'm REALLY glad to hear that you're on-board with proper mirror alignment!

And now... have you guys seen this un-cut video interview?
    http://video.wnbc.com/player/?id=70885

Best quote: when asked "Is battery technology a problem for you?" The answer was, "Battery technology is enabling us." Beautiful!

16. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 28 2007, 12:57 AM) [snapback]397680[/snapback]</div>
    As a motorcyclist, I appreciate that, and wish everyone would do the same. On an Interstate, my biggest hazard on the bike is "lane-changers" who do not exercise proper care when changing lanes.

The Brits refer to glancing over your shoulder before changing lanes or turning as a "life saver."

Harry

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Feb 28 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]397837[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for that link Darell...I found the last 3 minutes most enlightening. If there was any way to cram 3 car seats into that thing I'd get on the list....

18. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nice thread, and that was a good interview. The guy is likable, smart but unpretentious... I guess my perspective is a little skewed since I'm a big fan of what he's trying to do.

I was very amused by his comment "it seems like cheating" when saying that bigger electric motors were more efficient than smaller ones.