1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla Service Center near downtown Oklahoma City

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Mark57, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I just found a permit has been filed by Tesla Motors to create a Tesla Service Center at the old Volvo dealership at 1125 N. Broadway in midtown OKC. The area between NW 4th and NW 13th on Broadway has always been known as automobile alley. The Volvo dealership recently relocated to Edmund, OK last November. This will be a service center only and will not have a showroom per our local mobile tech.

The permit fees were paid yesterday August 26th. Remodel cost is an estimated $400,000.00 for 11,775 sq ft property. For the prove it or it didn't happen folks, see the permit and fee payment below.

Woo Hoo! This is certainly better than 3 hrs to Dallas or 6 hours to Kansas City service centers for non-mobile tech repairs.

Perhaps they'll pick a smaller location here for a showroom . . . .

Permit:
    Tesla Permit.jpg

Permit fee paid:

Tesla Permit Fees Paid.jpg

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice !! Folks there will really benefit from the time savings.

3. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely. The mobile service guy for the area lives in OKC. This potentially covers out to Amarillo, TX to Wichita, KS, and half of Arkansas.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And how many warranty supporting service locations does Toyota or Ford have in the same area?

Somehow I can't see this as a big deal in the bigger picture until they are up to about 25% coverage (since no ICE, less service needs is presumed).

5. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    None that are worth a damn. I've never owned a Ford in 63 years nor will I ever, not even the new Bronco. I've owned 7 Toyotas and the dealership service departments are marginal at best and yes, I've tried all 5 in the area over the years.

If you lived in this area and were about to purchase one, it's a hella big deal. It's another positive step in dragging my area out of the big oil dark ages. One step brings another and another.

3PriusMike, hill and Zythryn like this.
  6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Odd way to phrase it. Mobile appointments support any warrantee work that can be -reformed that way. To my knowledge, any service center supports warrantee work.

For the people lining near the new site, it is a big deal.

Mark57 likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How many more Toyotas, Fords, GMs, etc. vs Teslas need warranty support in that location?

Since Tesla is still just selling in the higher end markets, a better comparison would be to now many BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, etc. in the area.

Mark57 likes this.
  8. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I've had problems while on a trip. And in that case there was no dealer nearby or open, no motel in the town and no cab/taxi. So I ask from the perspective of emergency service and not for routine pre-scheduled which I take it the mobile service is designed for. IOW, what are my options if I am in the NC mountains or Myrtle Beach? Toyota must have 60 or more in NC.

For those of you who have older Tesla cars and are not so close to a dealer, how do they charge for out of warranty repairs, is there a mileage charge? Does the clock start the minute the service car leaves its previous destination?

I didn't mean to imply that a service center wasn't a good thing for those living in some proximity.

My wife is looking for a replacement, one of her criteria is dealer proximity? She found even 35 miles away to be a pain, granted an ICE car with its needs is different but it isn't like she put more than 8k a year on it.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    [​IMG]

it's only a big deal - when one thinks of this as the begining of something great. Alternatively - during history - there were those who'd never climb into a Conistoga wagon ... and head west. There were a lot of aprehensives ... but that's ok because there's still plenty of 'em that will take that first step. It'll be ok . . . .
    ;)

Mark57 and Zythryn like this.
  10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One more SuperCharger half-way between OKC and Ozark AR and I-40 will be covered.

Bob Wilson

Mark57 likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why wouldn't mobile service be available for emergencies?
    What type of emergency repair would a BEV require that a mobile service can't handle? They'll change the 12 volt battery. What belts are there? Coolant hoses might break,but should be fixable by mobile service.

12. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent point. For the entire area, Volvo has one and BMW/Mercedes has one. Good comparison.

13. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    And you have a problem with this area getting a service center "in town" vs having to drive 3 hours or use mobile service? This comes across more as Tesla trolling than a legit interest.

#13 Mark57, Aug 28, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Trollbait likes this.
  14. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Not at all, I'm pro-Tesla but trying to understand how they are practical in fly-over country, rural country. I take my cars on thousand mile trips and if something should go wrong, I want to understand what my expectations should be. I'm conceding that ICE vehicles need more service. But I live in a state which has two "sales" offices (dealers have politicians) and two service centers versus dozens more for competing brands.

I'm happy you got a service center. One more is good. I just don't understand why/how one for so big an area works.

I bought my two cars knowing there is a dealer that drops me off at home for free after I've dropped my car off 3 miles from home. So routine service is trivial. I don't have to be home or near the car, it took maybe 10 minutes to get there and 10 to get back. And this will be true for out of warranty service too.

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Of the brands that are direct competitors to Tesla, they don't seem to have many more service centers, and they have more older cars still on the road. Doesn't seem to be much of an issue for those owners.

Despite Tesla's success, they don't have a huge fleet of cars on the road at this point, but their mobile service can do a lot more than others'. For one thing, you don't have to go to take the car in to read codes; Tesla does that over the air. The fix might also be over the air. There have been reports of tesla seeing a problem, and scheduling a service call before the owner knew there was one.

Of the regular maintenance, what can't be done by a mobile tech? Maybe a coolant change, and that would be once every 3 to 4 years, possibly longer. The emergency repairs that can't be handled over the air or by the mobile tech will require a tow, but these are equivalent to the engine or transmission dying in an ICE car. Even with closer service centers, these will be a major hassle no matter what, as replacements aren't kept in stock at the dealer.

The number of Tesla service centers will increase as their fleet on the road grows. If you aren't comfortable with owning one until those are as common as GM's, then don't buy one.

16. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    and the hits just keep coming . . . normally, I let this king of crap go "fly-over" my head but the colorful characterizations are just too good.

I live in a metro area of 1.4 million and you live in a town of 30K. Who's rural again? Oh and we got rid of all the teepees weeks ago.:rolleyes:

//ignore mode =on