1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tesla's devilish plan to provide service for millions of cars.

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by el Crucero, Jan 30, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just received a newsletter update on Tesla plans to service all the cars they will be manufacturing. From the newsletter:
    We're redefining automotive service with over-the-air diagnostics and mobile technicians who come to you, reducing your need to ever visit a service center.
    The beauty of a Tesla is that everything is controlled though firmware and software. The car can be diagnosed and fixed OTA. Elon's vision is a car that lasts forever with replacement of a battery pack with newer technology when needed. Some model S owners report a 5% battery degradation after 200K+ miles. I wish I could say the same about my Prius traction battery after 50K miles! I'm down to 9 miles EV after a full charge!

If something physical needs to be replaced, Tesla has the 'Ranger' program and they come to you with a fully equipped truck to make repairs at YOUR convenience. The thing that I will miss the least with my Prius, is the visit to Toyota stealerships. They have to be among the worst in the business. Redlands Toyota, you can suck it!

So Tesla IS NOT planning to expand their Service Centers in a dramatic way. Service will be provided through OTA or at your site at your convenience! What a concept!

2. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great idea, but let's see how well it's executed. I'm no fan of Toyota stealerships, so when my free Toyota Care is over, my Prius will be visiting an independent certified hybrid mechanic.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe that final conclusion is warranted.
    I like the goal, but Tesla is still making improvements and expansions to their service center.
    Some are already being made, and many are still being planned.

True, the ability to diagnose and fix things over the air is phenomenal. But there are still lots of things that will require a ranger or service center. Even at a lower rate, millions of cars will still result in a higher level of calls on the service centers.

4. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I love the fact that an EV is so much simpler in hardware than an ICE based car. This definitely presents and opportunity to change the profile of the EV service. What I do not understand is why would OTA repair be possible? Software doesn't wear and tear. How would they be able to fix a bad motor, brakes, etc by OTA? I am not quite understanding what exactly can be repaired by OTA on a vehicle? Unless there was a quality issue to begin with in software, but that's more of an update than fix. A working piece of software can not break from being in service. What am I missing? Diagnostics? Sure, those can be performed remotely and that's great, but once they know the car needs repair, the car has to be actually touched to be repaired, no?

5. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes the beauty of firmware and software is OTA diagnostics and updates. Right now, the model 3 is being plagued by a glitchy smartphone interface. Not every owner is being effected. This random problem is being "repaired" by OTA updates. I, for one, do not like Tesla's smartphone/keycard interface. I much prefer the Prius SKS fob interface. There are other aspects of the car than be "repaired" by OTA updates. I guess it is a matter of semantics.

6. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Link please

The concept is that almost all repairs and service will be made in the field by Rangers. I think Elon's goal is to eliminate the overhead of Service Centers once and for all. And I think he wants to make it happen now.

7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I joined Prius Chat when I bought my 2008 Prius. Back then the Prius was still a new and exciting thing. Everyone was upbeat and only rumors of battery failure existed, it was like Disneyland, kind of an euphoric atmosphere here. Fast forward to 2018, now I see all the excitement about the Prime but a lot of people are here because their cars are old and tired and lots of battery problems to bring us back to the reality that all batteries wear out, it's not a matter of if but when.

Now it is Tesla's turn in the barrel, how much trouble will an 18 year old Tesla have, what will they be worth and even worth fixing. Elon Musk is changing the rules as we speak on how his cars are repaired and maintained but how will it work out when there are old Teslas.
    One good thing is battery prices seem to be dropping but any maintenance is expensive for the average person.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are fortunate to have that choice, Our town is too small to support one.

9. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The only way I got to Tesla is through Prius, and I am grateful to Prius.

Tesla is a paradigm shift in the rules. Current battery technology is much better than what Prius used in 2008. And there is even newer battery technology that is being developed than is better than what is currently being used in the model 3. Batteries are lasting much longer and there will be a means to economically change out a battery pack in the future. So what is there to wear out on an EV? Brakes last 'forever' with the new one pedal regenerative braking. Software,firmware can be updated OTA. So what we have left is batteries (that can be replaced), electric motors (that may never need to be replaced), tires (just a fact of life until cars ride on air), windshield wipers (DIY) and some other odds and ends. Cars can be made so that an owner will never never need an entirely new one, except for fashion and fantasy.

10. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    @Prodigyplace get a Tesla and your problem is solved. The Tesla Ranger will come to YOUR small town and you will be able to tell where he is on your route through the Tesla app!

11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, that is beyond my price point.

padroo likes this.
  12. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Believe me, I understand completely. but let's take a closer look at the numbers.

Your base price Prius II is about $25K. A base price model 3 is $35K. That's a $10K difference, but you can get up to a $7500 tax credit from the Feds and many States have additional rebates. Don't know specifically about Virginia, but California is a progressive State and we get up to $7500 Federal tax credit, $2500 State EV rebate, and $450 utility rebate. That makes the model 3 $24,550 or $450 less than the Prius II. Now factor in the savings from gasoline cost and no oil changes, brake jobs, timing belts, etc and the model 3 is significantly less than the Prius II plus you continue to get all software improvements OTA for free.

Don't dismiss the model 3 out of hand because it is a Tesla. Run the numbers for a model 3 and you may be surprised by the TCO compared to other cars.

13. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't get me wrong, lots of what would normally take a trip to a dealer or mechanic in an ICE car can be handled with the OTA updates, diagnostics and fixes. But lots of stuff can't.
    Tesla service centers have, and continue to grow and change, and will do so in the future.
    They have recently moved all (well, I believe all) their calls to a central tech support hotline. This has taken a lot of workload off the staff at individual service centers, and allows for quicker level one assistance, diagnostics and possible repairs.
    Last year, there was a big push to streamline our service center. The local service center can now service twice as many cars in less than the same amount of time. And they continue to work on efficiency.

I am not saying your statements about what Tesla is doing is wrong. Just that your conclusion about them not making any changes to service centers is not warranted.
    Work on brakes, suspensions, electrical harness replacements, etc will not be done by a ranger. Recall items will likely be done at the service centers as well.

This is all based on what I have seen, and conversations with the staff I have known at service centers over the last 7 years as an owner.

14. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think we are agreement. Some people on the Internet think that Tesla will make a dramatic increase in the number and location of Service Centers to service millions of cars, as ubiquitous as legacy automakers service centers. I don't think so. I don't anticipate a Tesla Service Center on every street corner. I think the locations we see now is pretty close to the locations we will see in the future. What I do anticipate is a dramatic increase in the Ranger program to service millions of cars in the field.

Employees at the Service Center are no more aware of Elon's plans than the general public is. Seven years ago, the model 3 was just a pipe dream. Things have changed since then. Can Elon keep all the balls in the air? Only time will tell, as it did for Henry Ford.

padroo likes this.
  15. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Would you say Elon Musk is the Henry Ford of our times?

16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreement, yes. But it is a matter of degrees.
    I do believe we will see an expansion of the number of service centers. I do agree though, that it won't be as many as some people are saying are needed.

That is yet to be seen. Ask me in three years;)

17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Who takes care of the Tesla cars when they are damaged in a wreck? Not just anyone can work on the aluminum structures of the car and then there is the parts needed for the repairs. There is a lot more to an EV than batteries, electric motors, brakes and tires.

18. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, sort of. he is a combination of Ford, Einstein, and P.T. Barnum. A truly amazing individual.

padroo likes this.
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Prius had an aluminum hood and hatch going back to at least the gen2. Other makes and models use it varying degrees. The entire F150 body is aluminum.

Some of the equipment needed to fix it after a crash is different that what is needed for steel. So body shops will have to make an investment to work on these cars. They also need to make the invest in regards to the high strength steel being used since the presses and pulls they have for steel aren't strong enough.

The Model 3 makes more use of steel than the Model S and X to reduce cost.

San_Carlos_Jeff and padroo like this.
  20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tesla started with Rangers. Rangers were expensive so when a service center was built in your area the Ranger service went away.

Now, Tesla has money for Ranger service because service centers are too expensive?

I'm not buying it. Tesla doesn't have the cash to build service centers. I believe there are too many cars visiting the service centers that the Ranger program (although costly) was revived to quiet the faithful.

Why are there so many Model 3 not delivered? Who works on them before delivery?
    ---
    el Crucero, "Your base price Prius II is about $25K. A base price model 3 is $35K." Except Tesla isn't selling $35000 strippers and you won't be able to walk out the door without adding on Tesla's BS fees. Dealers haven't been able to sell a Prius at MSRP since the tsunami shortage.

Don't count your tax credit until delivery. The FIT credit is $7500 today. What will it be in July? December? We don't know. It all depends on when Tesla sells car #200,000 in the USA. If lower tax rates translate into lower taxes there may be more buyers who won't qualify for the full amount.

"Now factor in the savings from gasoline cost and no oil changes, brake jobs, timing belts, etc". Do you really own a Prius? How long have your brakes lasted? I've got 107K on mine. I'm on the original spark plugs. My brake expense savings by buying an EV are $0. I don't have a timing belt and I don't have an alternator. What is the etc? The EV is going to need a 12v battery, tires, wiper blades, suspension parts just like every other car on the road. For a car that is supposed to be low maintenance Tesla wants the owners to spend a lot more in their service center for maintenance than I do on oil and filters. Electricity is not always cheaper than gasoline. It happened in NJ.

"plus you continue to get all software improvements OTA for free." Software "improvements" cut both ways. Tesla can giveth and Tesla can taketh away. Look what happened with Auto Pilot. Quick charge too often and Tesla will throttle to protect the battery (and their warranty reserve). Model X doors that worked then later were used to crush watermelon thanks to OTA update.