1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Tesla's latest competition in making efficient truck to crisscross country: Big Oil

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Trollbait, May 14, 2018.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    [​IMG]
    Beyond the aero "tweaks", the truck has a hybridized drive train along with solar panels to power accessories.
    The individual/company Shell is partnered with holds the record for fuel economy in a filled truck at 13.4mpg. He was only getting 4.4mpg back in the mid-80's when he started his company.

They plan to start a fuel economy run with this latest truck in about 3 days.

Shell has a plan to match Tesla with energy-efficient long-haul truck
    There is links to others in the article.

2. I still think that a hybrid plug-in system is the way to go for trucks and buses for a long time.
    The engine is not really that efficient for driving around dense city traffic. Plus you don't need the engine on to power a truck down a long hill.
    But a battery is not efficient to power a truck up a hill, so then you switch to diesel.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    After the second click-through, the Shell flyer says "DEMONSTRATING WHAT IS POSSIBLE".

Tesla announces an EV semi truck and suddenly out of the woodwork comes the 'fool cell' truck and now the Shell 'demo.' To me this stinks of 'patent sitters.'

Bob Wilson

hill and markabele like this.
  4. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Why can't a battery be efficient at powering a truck up a hill?

hill and audiodave like this.
  5. Well it's not as efficient as it is in low-power applications.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]
    It depends on the battery technology:
    [​IMG]

Just add a truck:
    [​IMG]

Notice, no fire risk except for the vat of hot oil:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

Andyprius1 likes this.
  7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you simply thinking that just because an ICE is most efficient at higher power loads that that makes it more efficient than a BEV doing the same thing?

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In Alabama, hills have an equal number of nearly identical up and down grades. The battery truck regenerates a significant amount of energy on the down grade. Diesel and gas truck don't.

Bob Wilson

Andyprius1 and audiodave like this.
  9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually this is totally false.
    diesel is most efficient at moderate loads. Electricity is efficient at all loads. After you use a lot of power going up that hill, the battery adds to efficiency, because not only is it more efficient going up, it can regenerate braking charge going down ;-)

What should be said is for a given range, if it is big, a battery will be heavier than an engine and fuel. The battery must supply power to lift the truck and itself up the hill, which means more power is required than of the diesel. Not really a big deal.

The only things a diesel truck is more efficient at than a bev truck is up front costs, and speed and convenience of refueling. If total cost of ownership, instead of up front cost is the important thing, a phev truck will beat diesel in that while being as fast to refuel and even more convenient (many times it can just refuel at the plug when not in use).

So I agree with skylis A on the concept that phev is better, but not in the reasoning.

Compare Side-by-Side

123 mpge on the highway for the model 3 long range versus 43 mpg diesel on highway for the less powerful bmw 3 series diesel or 53 mpg highway gasoline for the camry hybrid. Those batteries are a lot more efficient ;-) Of course you may discount the electricity to gasoline because of the grid, etc, but normally the worst you would get is half, or 61 mpge highway for the bev.

#9 austingreen, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    hill likes this.
  10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I could be wrong but I read the efficiency statement in terms of a PHEV/HEV not a BEV.

In systems where the primary fuel is dino (like a Prius) it is less efficient to burn dino charging up the battery just to spend it going forwards again later. The greatest efficiency comes from allowing the battery to act as a buffer to shut the engine off completely and just keep on trucking. Either downhill or coasting in situations that would otherwise be a power failure scenario. And the next biggest gain is the ability to supplement power to run the dino engine in the most efficient band possible.

In something like a cross-country truck, the long stretches of open road with gentle ups and downs are perfect for the dino power up, battery power down.

If the truck is mostly battery powered, then it isn't a thing. But for the near term, most trucks will be primarily dino powered. Adding in a hybrid system will be a huge benefit. The big redneck truck people are starting to realize it after this year's unveil of "new" hybrid trucks that can keep your beer cold with the engine off and provide better torque. Things us Prius drivers have been saying for two decades now. The locomotive industry gets it. Trucking will come next.

Lightning Racer and Trollbait like this.
  11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not all trucks will see dense city traffic. Long haul trucks generally won't. Tesla's Semi isn't targeting that segment, but this Spaceship will. Why install a large battery, that will reduce cargo capacity and increase cost, when most of the miles will be on the interstates?

12. Yes. Isn't that what we keep telling here?

Also, what about battery overheating problems up long hills?

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Liquid cooling is your friend. Don't do this in a Leaf.

Bob Wilson

austingreen likes this.
  14. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is also pretty false.

The bigger the battery, the higher the possible load without causing as much heat. The Prius battery is puny, so it heats up (and cools down) really quickly.

A Leaf can go up and down mountains all day and not get too hot to use and it has zero thermal management. A big truck with HUUUUUUUUGE batteries and a full load, the batteries would be fine.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is a tesla buy signal for wall street, keep the competition coming, someone is worried.

hill and audiodave like this.
  16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    True enough, I don't have a Leaf to experiment with. However, I have both a BMW i3-REx, liquid cooled, and Prius Prime, air cooled. I don't have battery temperature metrics, yet. But I realized I haven't done a well designed, head-to-head comparison although I have some metrics:
    1. Why the BMW i3-REx | Page 3 | PriusChat
    2. Prius Prime Plus in my hands | Page 5 | PriusChat
    PROPOSED PROTOCOL
    • Use Brindley Mountain hill climb route:
      • 525 ft (160 m)
      • 1.1 mile (1.76 km) run
      • 8% grade
      • 60 mph (96 kph) ascend speed, replicating typical truck performance
      • 75 mph (120 kph) descent speed, replicating typical truck performance
      • includes acceleration at base; turn around at top, and; deceleration to stop
    • Reset trip meter at start and record:
      • round trip distance
      • mi/kWh (may be a problem for Prime as I need to find the trip value display)
    • Metrics
      • Use dash cam to record trips
      • Use GPS to track speed and route
    ANALYSIS
    We won't be at Standard Day temperatures until after midnight when I'll tell my wife, "Time to walk the dogs."

Bob Wilson

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think conclusions about PiP operation have been taken out of context.

As is well known, the PiP will switch to hybrid mode easily under high speeds and load demands. This isn't because doing so is more efficient than using the battery, but because amount of energy it carries in its gasoline tank compared to its half Prime sized battery means there is more energy there to waste on inefficient operating scenarios. So the car uses gasoline then in order to save the little amount of kWhs in carries for when it can do the most good.

Yes, EV operation is more efficient at lower speeds than at higher ones, but that is also true for hybrid operation. When there is a large enough battery behind the motor, we can see that the EV mode is more efficient than the hybrid mode even at higher speeds.

No matter the technology, dealing with heat and cooling is an issue. Take an ICE semi with a transmission geared for the flats of the Midwest up the Rockies, and overheating something will happen. Mountain roads once had regular sections where trucks could pull over to park and cool down. Cars also needed to make use of them at times.

In general, cooling for hybrid and plug in systems is well understood at this time. The heating keeping HSD from hauling heavy loads wasn't in the battery or engine, but the transmission/transaxle; Toyota choose to use a fluid that couldn't stand up to high heat. PHEV trucks can fall back to hybrid mode to reduce the load on the battery in the event the pack's heat is getting high, and BEV trucks, like most BEV cars will make use of liquid cooling like their ICE counterparts do.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    ACTUAL PROTOCOL
    • Use Brindley Mountain hill climb route:
      • 525 ft (160 m)
      • 1.1 mile (1.76 km) run
      • 8% grade
      • 55 mph (88 kph) ascend speed, replicating typical truck performance
      • 65 mph (104 kph) descent speed, replicating typical truck performance
      • includes acceleration at base; turn around at top, and; deceleration to stop
    • Reset trip meter at start and record:
      • round trip distance
      • mi/kWh (may be a problem for Prime as I need to find the trip value display)
    • Metrics
      • Use dash cam to record trips
      • Use GPS to track speed and route
    DATA

2017 Prius Prime in EV mode:
    longitude latitude miles kWh speed
    1 34.65289 -86.57163 0.0 0.00 0 mph
    2 34.53006 -86.58991 9.0 2.14 55 mph
    3 34.50485 -86.60262 2.4 1.42 55 mph
    4 34.53334 -86.58965 2.2 -0.25 65 mph
    5 34.59196 -86.56261 4.4 0.60 55 mph

• Going up the hill, 2.4 mi, the efficient EV used 1.42 kWh
    • Descending the hill, 2.2 mi, the efficient EV gained 0.25 kWh
    CONCLUSION

The same works with any electric truck because regeneration keeps the brakes cool and speeds moderate. In contrast a diesel, fuel cell, or small hybrid truck just heats the brake pads descending a hill it just climbed.

Bob Wilson

#18 bwilson4web, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  19. dipper

dipper Senior Member

In a properly designed Fuel Cell or hybrid, why would brakes be heated?

A Fuel Cell is really a hybrid with different power source than gas. It still has a small battery pack needed for smooth power delivery. And needed battery power during fuel cell warmup time.

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They have a much smaller battery to recapture energy than something with a plug.
    This limits the regen amount, and means the friction brakes will be used sooner when going down hills than a plug in. Depending on the system used, downshifting may not be an option for controlling speed like in a tradition semi.