1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test Drive: 2011 Honda CR-Z

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota may have had the first mass-produced hybrid with its Prius, but the initial gas-electric model to reach our shores was the 2000 Honda Insight. That two-seater hybrid, and Honda’s sporty CRX model, provide the inspiration behind the company’s newest version, the 2011 CR-Z.

Honda advertises it as a sporty model, which lifted my eyebrows, especially since its 1.5-litre four-cylinder and integrated electric motor churn out a mere 122 horses. The eyebrows lifted higher when my tester came with a continuously variable transmission (CVT) instead of the default six-speed manual transmission, which also meant a slight drop in torque from the 128 lb.-ft. with the stick shift to 123 lb.-ft. with the CVT. But as always, the proof is in the pudding – or in this case, the driving. The quick-n-nimble handling gives it its sporty feel, while putting it into the available “Sport†mode makes the most of those horses and turns this relatively lightweight car into a viable, tossable, fun-to-drive machine. Yes, really.

Full Article

2. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I love the exterior design of the Honda CR-Z and would consider one as our 2nd vehicle, but until they make a full hybrid I'm sticking with the Prius.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't driven a Honda CR-Z. But I own a Honda Fit. And I can believe the articles contention that despite the CVT transmission and the 1.5 liter four cylinder engine the CR-Z is fun to drive.

That's something Honda is very good at doing. Designing small, lightweight, tossable "fun to drive" vehicles.

It wasn't a huge selling point to me, but I would say, my Honda Fit is one of the potentially fun vehicles to drive. While like the CR-Z being small and lightweight and not overly powered...it rides like a go-kart. It is IMO the elusive "fun to drive" vehicles.

Now if they could just upgrade their Hybrid system and combine that with a "little" better efficiency...

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Keep in mind that EPA testing is done in default driving modes. Which is why the Insight2 has higher reported user fuel economy than the official numbers. It was tested in normal mode, and most drivers likely put it in econ. Same with the CR-Z, but I expect its fun to drive aspect will keep reported numbers in the lower range. If you can keep it in check, it should easily beat its reported numbers.

The CR-Z is growing on me, but I wish manufacturers didn't feel the to put virtual gears on a CVT. At least allow me to turn them off.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't have to use the virtual gears if you don't want to. Just leave it in D. It's only in "S" do you engage the paddle shifters.

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

there is not a single CVT on the market that makes you use virtual gears.

they are all optional like an sport mode, and BTW, once you drive CVT's, you will realize they are most welcome.

In fact, i wish they used virtual gears even in auto mode.

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've heard differently, but honestly wasn't interested enough to spend the time researching it.

Wait, are you saying it doesn't have virtual gears in the other modes, operating like a Prius, or that you don't have to use the manual shifters?

I heard sport has 5 'gears', normal 6, and econ 7.

8. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's still basically a two-seater insight that's slow and basically guzzles gas for what it is: a slow two seater hybrid. It may be "fun" to drive around corners but it's not quick and its small size combined with terrible gas mileage and relatively high price I think it's a total dud. I have not driven one, though.

The original insight is a decade old and trumps the hell out of the CR-Z on mileage. It is slower still, but it's like the CR-Z doesn't know what it is, a fuel-sipper or something fast? And so it's neither in the end.

9. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This hybrid is smaller, more expensive and gets worse gas mileage than the current 4-door Insight. It is a step backwards--something you might expect from GM, but not from Honda.

10. edmcohen

edmcohen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Both the present Insight and the CR-Z make an absolute killer first impression on me. What cool looking cars! The Insight seems just the right size when the Prius G3 is bigger and heavier than I would like. I love those low plexiglass rear windows, that obviate the need for a rear-view camera.

Insight and CR-Z both have twist-beam rear axles and cone-and-belt transmissions. Where I might overlook one of those, the combination of the two is a total deal breaker.

Neither comes remotely close to the fuel economy of the original Insight or the old CRX. (Back in the day, I test-drove and rejected both of those for crash-unworthiness. I drove a Mercedes 190e-2.3.) Progress? Wth?!

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Put it in D and it acts like a CVT, just like the Prius

Put it in S (or the equivalent depending on the car) and there will be 6 or 7 virtual gears. Examples are the GS450h, Insight, Lancer, Maxima, Murano. The sport mode is just there for people who want to "shift" because they want to pretend they're driving a manual and because semi-automatics have that function (not including SMGs which are manuals with an electronic clutch. I'm talking about automatics with a torque converter that have a "shiftable manual mode" like the Camry, Avalon, Sienna, Matrix XRS, Corolla XRS).

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    OK.

Back to the fuel economy, Honda may not have used all their fuel saving goodies, mainly engine tech, as they did with the Insight2. They claimed then it was for cost savings, but it likely had more to do with keeping the Civic their flagship hybrid, and not wanting to outshine it.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even the Insight-II had cost cutting in its entirety (not just the drivetrain) to save on cost (really? an optional glovebox light?).

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A lot of good it did them.
    Don't know how much it saved on the sticker, but the Insight2 didn't use all the engine technology used it the older Civic hybrid. With the final pricing being higher than many hoped, they probably would have been better off getting higher economy ratings for it.

Honda has been slipping. Maybe they should put Asimo in charge.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welp, I don't know CR-Z's, but I sure like my Honda ... Accord Coupe. It's a pleasure to drive and I averaged 30 MPG on my last tank. Guess half highway miles. Nice car .... and yes, the seats rock. I don't adjust anything, I just drive now like I always did before the 2009 Priapus (oooh doggy that didn't work for me).

-------
    Honda slipping ... that'll happen. They're not going to sell many of those new Civics, no.
    pfffft, those things will be everywhere, Elantra or not. Sits like a Honda inside, not POS Corolla.
    Won't be slipping in green when the Fit Electric is out next year, hopefully.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My brother liked his Accord too. But the early 2000s had a weak, prone to failure transmission behind the V6. To be fair, the second failure may have been do to the flood it was in, but his doctor also had the same problems in the same model.

I like their cars from the '90s. My boss still has his '96 Accord. It just seems that lately, Honda has just been coasting on their reputation without putting in the effort. For fuel efficiency, they do have some of the best engine technology and innovation. The Civic VX is still highly sought after by hypermilers. With a full hybrid system, they should easily beat the Prius. They get close with they have now.

Honda recently announced a new engine they have been developing. There is differences in details, but it is a true Atkinson cycle. So maybe they'll turn it around.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is all they show for their Plug-in hybrid -

Honda Plug-in Hybrid Concept - Official Site

and Toyota is going to unveil the production Prius Plug-in next month ...
    so, Honda is behind Toyota in green cars.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That Honda plugin hybrid sounds so much like Toyota HSD plugin.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should've seen the Canadian pricing - $23k ($5k more and we get CC standard on the LX, that's it). The CR-Z is priced at $23k too fully loaded (only transmissions as options. We have nav, HIDs, 17" alloys etc). No brainer, really between the Insight-II vs. CR-Z. You want 4 seats, spring the extra $4k for a Prius cause an Insight EX w/ TCS/VSA, nav, bluetooth is the same price.