1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test Drive Comments and Impressions - '12 Prius 4 w/solar

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Big Steve, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We are in the process of an overnight test drive of a 2012 Prius 4 w/ Solar Roof option.

Preliminary judgement:
    Before test drive: 95% chance of purchase
    After test drive: 80% likelihood

I. Before overnight test drive dealer should (in addition to the otherwise excellent introduction he gave) (1) make sure the inside lights are not turned off (sure this is done to protect bettery on lot) so that prospect does not park at home at night and have all lights out and inability to see locks and other things. (2) if the customer is 6'2" show how to adjust location of HUD display. [I answered both of these later by reading the manual from a link here.

II. Lots of positives that will not surprise everyone here. Handling, responsiveness great. Technologically advanced.

III. So why did likelihood drop?
    HER - somewhat overwhelmed by the technology. acklowledging that much can be ignored/turned off (HUD, MFD etc.) still leery.
    HIM - loves the technology (bring it on). negative is in comfort. Seat is fine, but as someone else here noted the armrest (left) and console (right) are hard and wonder how they would be on long trips. I have a habit of splaying my left knee out to the side. In the Prius (as in my Outback) this leans right into the bottom of the door handle assembly. Once said I wouldn't buy another car that does this. (btw, the '12 Camry solves this by design)

IV. Conclusion
    Still more than 50/50 that we will choose this car but will also check out Camry Hybrid, Subaru Impreza, Honda Fit Base, and maybe Mazda 3.

Any comments welcome.

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, don't know about the Prius model 4, but I know with the Prius v model 5, there is auto lights. I would check which version of the Prius that will support automatic headlights that would fulfill purpose 1. #2, I think that is probably due to a bad assumption on their part, where hud adjustment is like mirror adjustments, you do that before you drive. Of course, not all cars are using HUD displays, so he may have forgotten that fact.

Good

Not surprising as you mentioned her not wanting to deal with the tech nearly as much as well as her concern with the nav display being distracting. Now I am only about 2" shorter than you, but I went with the Prius v because of the driver seat. It sits higher than a sedan and gave a bit more room, this might seat better for you legwise, as I don't believe the handle will be in the way for your leg from the way you describe how you want to sit. However, there is no HUD in the Prius v which may or may not be to your liking.

If you are seriously looking at a Mazda 3, I would also look at the Prius v over the standard Prius. Cause from the sound of this discussion, you looked at a standard Prius Gen 3 sedan/hatchback versus a Prius v wagon.

3. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

4. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    First off, don't capitalize 'v'... It causes all sorts of weird jihads around here. ;)

As for the lights, yea... Although I think again, the dealer probably assumed you would do that yourself, as everyone has their particular desires, some like it, some act like its a horrible, horrible thing.

I remember when my parents got their 2010 Avalon... Listening to some concerns, some justified, some not so justified (Like wondering if the lights should still be one... Although one time, I did notice the interior lights were left on well after 5 minutes of them being done with the car.)

Either way, still up to you where you want to go. :)

5. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I thought the Prius V was with a capital V, whereas the Prius Model 5 shouldn't use the roman numeral at all.

Oh well, I will learn.

Steve

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. Toyota lists it as the Prius v and for 2011 and later models, yes it should be spelled out as One, Two, Three, Four, Five as opposed to the 2010 naming convention of I through V. Confusing, eh?

The Camry Hybrid would be a good choice. It's spacious, quiet, comfortable and more normal (but less techy). The Mazda3 with the new SkyActiv engine is pretty fuel efficient I hear and I just came back from the auto show and checked out the new Impreza. It's a nice design! Much better materials than my friend's 2010.

7. 6dogs

6dogs New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was scared too of the technology, coming from a person that will not nor desires, TV, MP3, i pads, i pods, androids, game sytems, cell phones, blue tooth etc... Prius was on my list to check out but not my 1st choice @1st.
    *My dad has the Toyota Camry Hybrid & it was my 1st introduction to Hybrid. My dad loves the TC. Some things you might consider though if you are carrying loads of stuff that the battery is in the back trunk so it does take up room & cuts the cargo capacity down. Deal breaker for me & didn't really consider the regular model since when I measured the trunk it wouldn't fit my gear.
    *I found the Mazda 3 pricey, & didn't load my stuff well & Mazda has no hybrid technology even out there so they were off my list.
    * I have a Subaru B9 & my dad has a an older Subie Impreza as well. AWD is nice if there is snow but it also cuts down on MPG. I did look a little at the Outback since there were no Impreza's at the lot but no the price & gas was a deal breaker.
    * Honda CRV was on my list but no back seat, low ride cut this out.
    *Honda Fit was on my list & it did fit my gear. Didn't really fit my DH & I was really hoping that the Hybrid Fit was going to be in the US. Still was a Top 3 on my list but didn't test drive it.
    *Toyota Corolla & Prius were the in the Top 3 as well. Prius I had to really sit in & have a hands on demo from my sales persons to get me comfortable with the technology. Though still not 100% there. I had to get my DH in the Corolla (did fit all my gear & o.k. price but @$20,000 not great compared to the Prius). Then the Prius did fit my DH so nicely @6'6". I test drove both & the Prius won on MPG, fits my gear, fits my DH, fits my Price at only $22,000, & Technology is really growing on me & I am not as freaked out about it.