1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test Drive Comments and Impressions - '12 Prius 4 w/solar

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Big Steve, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Test Drive Comments and Impressions - '12 Prius 4 w/solar
    We are in the process of an overnight test drive of a 2012 Prius 4 w/ Solar Roof option.

Preliminary judgement:
    Before test drive: 95% chance of purchase
    After test drive: 80% likelihood

I. Before overnight test drive dealer should (in addition to the otherwise excellent introduction he gave) (1) make sure the inside lights are not turned off (sure this is done to protect bettery on lot) so that prospect does not park at home at night and have all lights out and inability to see locks and other things. (2) if the customer is 6'2" show how to adjust location of HUD display. [I answered both of these later by reading the manual from a link here.

II. Lots of positives that will not surprise everyone here. Handling, responsiveness great. Technologically advanced.

III. So why did likelihood drop?
    HER - somewhat overwhelmed by the technology. acklowledging that much can be ignored/turned off (HUD, MFD etc.) still leery.
    HIM - loves the technology (bring it on). negative is in comfort. Seat is fine, but as someone else here noted the armrest (left) and console (right) are hard and wonder how they would be on long trips. I have a habit of splaying my left knee out to the side. In the Prius (as in my Outback) this leans right into the bottom of the door handle assembly. Once said I wouldn't buy another car that does this. (btw, the '12 Camry solves this by design)

IV. Conclusion
    Still more than 50/50 that we will choose this car but will also check out Camry Hybrid, Subaru Impreza, Honda Fit Base, and maybe Mazda 3.

Any comments welcome.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Camry is a much better touring car. Lot more power (in hybrid version too).

I'm pretty familiar with Mazda3 hatchback. Fairly nice seats in front, especially the grand touring with power (fake) leather seats. Back seats another story ... pretty scant legroom back there. Cargo area is pretty narrow. Prius has wider cargo area. End of the day, it's a conventional car ... crank the key, gas engine runs constantly. After some time of ownership, many don't want to go back to that.

Honda Fit, a favorite for zipping around town, but certainly not a serious highway touring car. Liftback Prius will beat out Fit on highway.

Don't know Impreza except for sitting in one. Was suprised at how low the rear view mirror is mounted on windshield, and could'n tpush it up out of my line of sight either. Unecessary and lame mounting position. Mostly a small hatch like Mazda 3. AWD a benefit, but you're looking at about 25 MPG at the pump. Little over half what you'll get in Prius.