1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test drive sound questions

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by cindyh1, Jan 9, 2012.

1. cindyh1

cindyh1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all.. I am trying to decide between the Prius and Prius V, love the look of the V.. I test drove both last week and was shocked by the loud more throaty sound of the V, seemed rather odd to me. The salesman said he never noticed?? Anyway that night i read a review by MotorTrend of the car, and this is what it says

===========================================
    The Prius V emits an increasingly louder artificial car noise as you go faster (up to 30 mph). It's a synthesized combination of engine and wind racket.

Read more: 2012 Toyota Prius V First Drive - Motor Trend

===========================================
    NOW, i am wondering if there is any way at all to make this quieter, since it is artificial sound? Thanks in advance..

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    huh. i thought the 2012 prius was getting it too. sounds like klutz is a bitter old man.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm pretty sure you're right but the '12 Prius liftback isn't available yet.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so, she was driving an '11? also, that's the first time i've seen an article claiming the artificial noise is that loud.

5. GantryG

GantryG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know that the artificial sound would be called "throaty" though- it's more like a jet engine sound, and supposedly not noticeable much or at all from inside the car (with the windows up?). If it sounds like a piston engine noise, then it's the piston engine making the noise. Since the v has the same engine as the normal Prius, louder engine sounds may have been due to faster acceleration on the v test drive than the Prius test drive, or different sound-dampening materials, etc. Many people on these forums, though, have driven both, so can anyone else comment on engine noise differences?

6. cindyh1

cindyh1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I drove both of them and the V was definitely a lot louder. I drove them the same, not fast acceleration. I heard nothing high pitched at all, maybe it was just this one car? Apparently no one else has heard it so that leads me to believe it was a problem with the car, as we all heard it.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, she had to have been driving an '11 liftback (since '12s aren't available yet) which has no VPNS yet and a '12 v.

8. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I traded in my 2010 Prius for a 2012 v in November, and after 1000 miles, I find my v to be quieter, mainly because of less wind noise. I have yet to hear the artificial noise from inside the cabin. But, as the the artificial noise maker is located near the left front turn signal behind the bumper, it could probably be disconnected quite easily by unplugging the attached wire harness, if it is that intrusive to others. It looks like a miniature bull horn sitting under there.

9. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If some of you think prius v is noisy, you should try new Subaru Impreza 2012. I've tested one last week and it has a nice acceleration but the road noise from the wheels is terrible (not acceptable on a long drive).

So I test drove Prius V today and bought one.