1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test drive suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by essaunders, Mar 24, 2012.

1. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In a couple of hours I'm going to go for my PiP test drive. My Prius experience is mostly with an 07 - I have driven a rental fleet 10 once or twice.

Does anybody have suggestions for thing to look for or do? I don't expect to have a long test drive, but want to fully and fairly evaluate the car.

Thanks

Erik

2. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Basic or Advanced?

Hopefully it will be fully charged. Drive around in EV mode and see how you like the accel/response. Have the HSI up so you can get a feel of that. Maybe toward the end of the drive, select HV mode and see how the ICE running feels. Try out ECO mode.
    If its basic, have them show you the nav, it's not bad
    post some pics

3. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Try running the EV miles down halfway, and looking for regenerating opportunities. Look at EV miles remaining after a stint going on HV. see how it changes.

I ran an '06 Gen II for 111k and the feel of the PiP is slightly different. I can still go up my driveway in HV mode at 1 or 2 mph if i dont have EV left.

Maximizing mpg still requires a fair amount of user input, but that's the fun of this game!

my first tank was 69.8 mpg.

4. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car I ordered is a basic. I hadn't thought about manually toggling HV mode to try both modes. Kinda obvious, really

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some people find that they hate the seats. If you're serious and there is any question, rent one for a week.

6. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well. I'm sitting waiting for the trade in appraisal on my 07.

It turns out the dealer didn't charge "my" basic do I drove their advanced instead.

Waaaay to many buttons on that thing. I'm sure I could get used to it, but on a test drive it was a bit much.

We tried toggling all the modes to see how it all worked.
    I think we got the high points.

We sat in the basic when we got back - I really do think I like the simpler interface. I suppose that high res screen on the advanced is nice though

7. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cool. Any Pics?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they have one of each for test drives? any in stock? how long to get one?

9. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The one we test drove was an orphaned one, I think.

No pictures- too busy trying to pay attention while juggling small kids.

The dealer is Toyota of Acton in Littleton MA

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ben koller?

11. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. They also had some other members of their team helping today. Another salesman (sorry, didn't catch his name) had actually taken the Advanced PiP home the night before. As he had plugged it in at home and only used half the charge to get to work we had a little charge to work with.

They said they had a charging station in the "back" and were still working with a utility for a front-side charging station. I think they're trying to get the local utility to pay for and put it in. I mean come on -- run a stinking 20A 240V circuit already and slap a Leviton on it!

They dealership shows three PiPs in stock - the white orphan I drove, the sea glass I ordered and an advanced clearwater blue.

I chose this dealership because they seemed to be Prius aware - they even had Wayne Gerdes (CleanMPG) over a while back to do a Prius hypermiling clinic.. So, if they manage to screw up basic stuff like plugging in cars I fear for the initial rollout in more basic dealerships...

12. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I've cancelled my PiP order.

Test drive was a bit hectic, but on reflection, about half the confusion was due to my tight schedule and dragging the kids along.

Ultimately, I didn't get the PiP because I didn't need to replace a current car. I'd already replaced my 12 year old subaru with a LEAF this year. So, between the uncertainty of claiming the 2500 tax credit combined with the relatively small change in utility (07 prius to a PiP) made this a chance to pass on.

Of course, now I'll be queued up to take the next big thing in a few years!

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for all the info, it's interesting that they already have 3 for sale while many of us are still waiting for ours to arrive. i may consider purchasing one from them and cancelling my order. i hear you on there lack of charging, but you'd have to visit bernardi toyota to see how bad it really is out there.