1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test drivin' a Prius this week

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fustanella, Oct 9, 2004.

1. fustanella

fustanella Guest

Is there anything special you'd suggest I pay special attention to or watch
    out for during the test drive?

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Going by yourself or with a sales person? I would choose the former if I had a choice. Look out for:

3. ChuX

ChuX New Member

Notice how quiet it is and how smooth the car moves when shifting. Try parallel parking if you can and notice how quick and smooth it goes from drive to reverse.

4. fustanella

fustanella Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"44281)</div>
    What is the SKS?

5. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Smart Key System. It was called Smart Start/Smart Entry in the '04s. I guess they had to make SOME change for the '05 model year.

6. fustanella

fustanella Guest

Thanks. I'm pretty unclear on what options I can get, based on the Toyota website. It makes it appear that I have to choose packages when I'd really prefer specific features.

To wit: the SKS/security alarm sounds handy. I don't need more than a basic single-CD player that can handle Red Book audio discs I burn (MP3 support would be nice but that appears to be a no-go right now).

In-dash navigation is the big treat I want, but I can't even find it in a package now; it was there a week or two ago. Perhaps they changed from the 2004 to the 2005 when I wasn't looking?

I'm also curious about the tax benefits to picking one up before year's end. I'm getting conflicting reports on that, both in amount and true savings.

7. Varko

Varko Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, you have to chose packages, no ala carte. There are some options that may be available to add after the purchase of the car such as the Homelink/self dimming mirror, but they are few at this time. There are 6 packages for the 2005 model, but often not all are available in your region. For instance, in the Northwest there are only 3 available: base model, AM, or BC. BC is the only package with the Nav system and is the same as the 2004 model. It is has all the available bells and whistles and thus is the most expensive and complete package. AM has less geeky toys, but has the safety features and it is only about 40% of the BC package price.

The Working Families Tax Relief Act of 2004, signed by the President last week extended the $2,000 tax credit through 2005 - YSMV (Your [true] Savings May Vary).

8. fustanella

fustanella Guest

Well, the test drive is tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Sat-nav not being available short of an incredibly expensive package which contains little if anything else I'd want (or would be willing to afford) may be a dealbreaker.

9. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Varko\";p=\"44796\")</div>
    NOT a credit - it is a $2K DEDUCTION from your taxable income. BIG difference!!

fustenella: I wanted only the AM or BC because they are the only packages with side air bags, Vehicle Stability Control and SKS. You don't list where you live but if you are on the edge of one region, or willing to travel a bit, check other nearby regions for packages of interest. Just put the zip code of a city in the "Build a Prius" Toyota web site.

I don't think we need to be beholden to a local dealer if Toyota isn't going to ship them a package the customer wants. If the dealers have a problem with that, they can take it up with corporate.

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would say put your foot in it getting on a freeway or going up hill. The car will preform if you need it. Second hit the brakes, but be careful where you do this car can stop. You need to check this out. This car can do! It really does what needs to be done. Drive it.

11. fustanella

fustanella Guest

I'm in central Florida. The first dealer I contacted said they didn't have a Prius; the second had one sitting unclaimed - presumably what I'll be driving today.

I agree that if a local dealer can't get me what I want, I'll find another way, but the sat-nav being bundled as part of a much larger package isn't encouraging. I'll know more from the horse's mouth this afternoon.

12. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Make sure the horse is facing the right way! :lol:

13. fustanella

fustanella Guest

It went very well - the Prius handles nicely, accelerates well getting on the highway, the in-dash display is intuitive and not as distracting as I thought it might be, and I could barely tell when the gas engine cut in and out. The only thing that stood out as annoying was the limited rearview-mirror visibility; I prefer to have more of a view as to what's coming up on me.

Unfortunately, the three cars they had on the lot contained unwanted option packages putting them in the $24k range, and they confirmed there's no way of installing just the onboard satellite navigation short of the $5k all-inclusive accessory package, so I walked. I just couldn't justify the added expense - the base model price was pushing it, and my treat was to be the sat nav, not the other things I have no interest in.

They promised to call me if a base model Prius turns up in their allocation, and I'll consider it if I can find an elegant sat-nav solution.

14. Varko

Varko Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry about the wording (credit/deduction) I clipped that from a media website. The code does say 'deduction.' Goes to show ya not to believe everything you read in the media.

15. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fustanella\";p=\"45000)</div>
    You should probably consider the base model with some kind of add-on navigation system - a palmtop-based system should cost you a tenth of that $5k. It won't integrate quite as neatly as the Toyota system and probably won't have voice control, which may or may not be factors.

Remember that the price is only one part of the total cost of your vehicle - most alternatives will drink more fuel. Cost of maintenance is hard to predict, but Prius seems to have a good record so far.

I'm not trying to convince you on a Prius if it's not for you (there are plenty of other people desperate to have one, after all!), but to give you further options instead of dismissing it out of hand.

16. fustanella

fustanella Guest

I'm comparing the iQue PalmOS device and a Kenwood in-dash model recommended by someone on the compuserve cars forum.

I haven't closed the door on the Prius, but have the luxury of not needing one right now. Better negotiating space. :)