1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test-driving a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jsuh84, Dec 3, 2007.

1. jsuh84

jsuh84 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For those with the experience, what should I keep in mind when test-driving a Prius?

Some issues that I have concerns include the rear window and highway driving (Crosswinds, switching lanes with its supposedly sensitive steering, music).

Any others I should keep in mind?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Acceleration is so smooooooth (no gear shifting), it gives you the impression that you aren't going as fast as you actually are.

As for the rear window, 99 percent of viewing is through the upper section. Think of it as a bi-focal, were the lower section is used only for up-close viewing (like parking).

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that the Touring edition may ride differently than the standard Prius. The suspension is tuned differently and the Touring edition has larger/wider wheels/tyres so make sure you know which one you're testing.

4. cuttooth

cuttooth Aficionado

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Avoid salesman accompaniment if at all possible. It made my test drive difficult at the best of times.

I'm trying to drive the car, not your profit margin!

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you have a large frame (like me), you might consider renting one for a couple of days and taking it on the road. You may not get a good sense on a typical test drive of how comfortable it will be on long trip. The seat bottom doesn't adjust, and thigh support for some of us long-legged folks could be a little better.

To piggyback onto John's comment, I call it "sneaky quick." I liken it to an elevator. Because the speed transition is smooth, you don't fully appreciate the acceleration, at least not like the abrupt change folks are more accustomed to with a conventional transmission.

6. jsuh84

jsuh84 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm actually new to the car-buying experience. This will be my first auto purchase.

Do most dealers, specifically Toyota, allow people to test drive by themselves?

7. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not around by us. The salesman was sitting in the back seat. At least this one fairly knowledgeable.

One thing to check, is the rear visibility on the highway. It's not the best, and should be considered.

8. Spinnerbug

Spinnerbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm actually new to the car-buying experience. This will be my first auto purchase.

Do most dealers, specifically Toyota, allow people to test drive by themselves?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    My daler gave me the car for two days...I test drove it to work on a Sunday, loved it and ordered it on Monday. I have a fully loaded Acura TL and am selling it. The only option the Prius doesn't have that my Acura has is heated seats and I could have got that, but figured I would let them go. Did get XM radio though. I am getting my new Prius next week...:)

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on the dealership. Some allow you to test drive on your own, others require a salesman.

10. la cucaracha

la cucaracha New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I test drove a Prius from a Tx dealer for 2 days. They never asked of a deposit and did not call to see how things were going. I called them and said I was going to buy it in a couple days and they said great. I had the car 4 days total with no deposit and put about 100miles on it. I did buy it.

They size you up, no doubt. If you go to a dealer that will not let you have a reasonable test drive..leave.

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A