1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test-Driving VW's Touareg Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One by one, German carmakers are genuflecting before the hybrid god. The latest is Volkswagen (VOWG.DE). Like BMW (BMWG.DE) and Daimler (DAI), the company initially resisted the hybrid trend, reasoning that similar gains in fuel consumption and emissions were possible at lower cost simply by optimizing traditional gasoline and diesel engines. Unfortunately for VW and the other German companies, the Toyota (TM) Prius converted all-important U.S. buyers to the hybrid doctrine. If Volkswagen wants to boost its share of the U.S. market, it needs hybrids, too.

Test-Driving VW's Touareg Hybrid - BusinessWeek

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

4CAR just "reviewed" prototype vehicle which is not in its final form (according to 4car) and gave it 4 stars. I think that just shows the credibility of European media (lack of it).

Of course, since they are professional car journalists, they also said that new RX450h will get worse mileage (it will get close to 10% better), they got to that conclusion by converting american mpg to european which is not the same test cycle :).

Same went with new Prius where major european automotive media reported how it will get 15% worse mileage than before.

lol.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Porsche Cayenne is essentially a deluxe Touareg, and a hybrid Cayenne is coming out soon as well.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I guess I didn't understand THIS part of the story:

"... In fact, the hybrid Touareg will accelerate more quickly than any of the existing versions ... "

I took that to mean "accelerate more quickly than any other hybrid". I immediately thought of the LS600h Lexus, with its 438 hp (not counting EV power) and 385 ft-lbs of torque.

But I guess their only saying The hybrid Touareg is just faster than a non hybrid VW. I'm no fan of 20mpg hybrids. Our AWD 400h SUV will get 30mpg + and I'm hoping the next generation will do even better. I wish they'd given mpg projections.