1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test drove Prius PHV and Prius V today

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by jerryss, Jun 4, 2011.

1. jerryss

jerryss New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the chance to test drive a plug In Prius PHV and Prius V today in Long Beach, CA

Overall, I was really impressed by the PHV. It was very quiet ( except for the road noise from the tires)

Acceleration was good ( it seemed better than a regular Prius ).

The Toyota rep said that she is getting 80mpg, but she hyper mills.

Next we drove the Prius V. It had the new center console and dash, And seemed well layed out. It drove well, and you really couldn't notice the extra size/weight. It seems to have a LOT more room in the back seat and trunk ( well suited for a family w/2 kids)

Over all, I think that I liked the PHV the best. It seemed to have better acceleration and was smoother. (maybe because the engine never kicked in)

If the PHV was available today ( with ATP + sunroof ). It would be a tough choice between the PHV and a ct200h.

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them.

Jerry

2. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Where in Long Beach are they showing these cars? Can anyone check them out?

3. jerryss

jerryss New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was by the convention center / Hyatt. Yes, anyone could try it out. But I think that it was only today until 3pm.

Sorry

4. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you driven Leaf or Volt ? If so, how do they compare.

5. jerryss

jerryss New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I haven't driven them. The leaf was available for a test drive, but I'm not interested in an electric ONLY car.

The volt interests me, but right now it's unproven. I'm not willing to be a tester for GM with $41k of MY money :)

6. ToyotaSoCal

ToyotaSoCal New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Actually, due to the popular demand, Southern California Prius Enthusiasts will have another opportunity to test drive the Prius v and PHV on Saturday, June 18th between 10 AM and 5 PM at the American at Brand in Glendale! If you test drive the cars, you will receive a family four pack of tickets to a Dodger game as well. KABC's Motorman Leon Kaplan will be broadcasting live from 10 AM to 12 noon. Don't miss this rare opportunity to test drive these cars before their launch.

1 person likes this.
  7. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info... what I would give to test drive a PHV!!!!

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    EV acceleration is so much stronger with the PHV. We have been deceived on the power of the MG2. The bottle neck was the NiMH battery all along but it was all we needed for the cordless hybrid.

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

well we knew battery had only 26hp output or whatever it was in gen2, right? I forgot what was the number for gen3... and yet the motor is 80hp.

I think even in PHV you might not get full electric motor power just to optimize miles/perkwh

10. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An additional problem that has been present ever since the Gen 1 is that the e-motor is too powerful for the tires at start-up. TracCtrl was introduced to moderate the initial torque from the e-motor.

Many might not realize that the Gen 2's had more torque ( potential ) from the e-motor than most V6's at the time. Trac modulated the output to the tires so that the vehicle wouldn't spin in-place at a stoplight.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Gen3 NiMH battery is rated at 36 hp. MG2 is 80 hp so the bottle neck is the battery. In the cordless Prius, MG1 fill in more electricity by running the gas engine.

PHV Lithium battery pack should be rated at 80hp to unleash the full power of MG2.

12. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tell me again why Toyota isn't just going to sell the PHV?

Seriously, every time I read something like this, I mentally up my estimated price for the PHV. Take a standard Prius price, add the Federal rebate, any state rebate (particularly California), whatever an HOV sticker is worth, and that is what a PHV would be worth if it had absolutely zero benefits. With benefits the price must go up from there if Toyota ever wants to sell another cordless Prius. I fear it will drive it up to the Volt price.

13. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I've driven the phev prius proof of concept. With that as a basis of comparison:
    The volt, on a test drive. It was ok. I did like the higher def MFD. The Leaf? Over 3,500 miles ... it too, is VERY nice. PHEV Prius ... several days of test driving. Now THAT is the car for me.
    More roomy than Volt or Leaf
    High MPG's ... on my (appx) 20 mile drive to work, I max'ed out the efficiency gauge at 99.9mpg.
    I'd have to say imo the Prius is more stylish than either
    Handling / power of the phev Prius wins over both over all.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hope you can spread the word or let the powers that be know that it'd be cool if folks in Nor Cal could test drive it too. I'm moving back there towards the end of July.

I don't need any tickets to a baseball game. I wouldn't use them anyway.

16. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like that the PHV could be owned without getting a 240 V in your garage, something that with say a volt or leaf you'd be hard pressed to tolerate since their batteries take/need so much more charge.