1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test drove the CR-Z today

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by Paul58, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Stopped by the Honda Dealer today and they had a White CR-Z EX w/Nav with the 6 speed manual transmission and a blue EX with the CVT. We drove both, city driving and on the highway. I was really surprised that the CVT was peppier than the 6 speed! The car felt very solid and stable at highway speeds, and in sport mode both the 6 speed and the CVT would easily break the front tires free when pushed from a start. The instant torque from a dead stop was a real rush! In ECO Mode, if was similar feeling to the Prius in ECO Mode, but the A/C did shut off and go to recycle mode at a stop. This did not happen in normal or sport mode! Overall, I was impressed with it. Granted, it probably won't come close to the Prius in gas mileage, but it was a comfortable, fun car to drive!

1 person likes this.
  2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Paul,

The first stop in town, yesterday, for errands, there was a CR-Z parked right there. It is a very nice looking car. This one had US Army plates, and stickers.

On the aero front, it has large deflectors in front of the wheels, that extend forward from the wheels and inward, so that only 1/3 of the underbody has a gap between these two deflectors. The Prius only has these deflectors imediately in front of the wheels.

The undebody looks to be trimmed out very flat, as well.

On a sad note, this car already had a dent in its right rear quarter panel, that looked to be made by the corner of a SUV door.

3. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This lack of respect for other people's property is the worse part of purchasing a new car. My wife gives me a hard time because I refuse to take the Prius to the grocery store and other select parking lots where new cars tend to become targets of abuse and wayward shopping carts...

Un-returned shopping carts is a whole other topic, especially when I see lazy people just give them a shove before getting in their car and driving off. God forbid they actually walk the 10 feet to the cart return to prevent them from rolling into someone's car... And they wonder why their kids are in trouble and have no respect for authority... Wonder where they learn it?

4. jordanr

jordanr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll admit I'm guilty of leaving carts out in the parking lot but not like that. I usually put it against the cement block (what's it called...the little block in front of you when you park...blanking out here) or have the front part put into the plant box area or whatever...anything to keep it from rolling around freely

5. europrius

europrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Honda Insight gets over 60 mpg in ECO mode. Not as much rear head room, but much better gas mileage. I own a Prius, but I sell both Prius's and Insights.

6. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm like you. I will go to Wal-Mart, etc, in my Prius but I park so far out that nobody else wants to park next to me, and there are usually no baskets around in that area. I also do the same at work. I feel the extra walking is not only good for me, but will save me headaches of dealing with dents in the car later. My wife gets absolutely infuriated that I refuse to part my car in the closest available spot. In fact, sometimes I'll try to "compromise" with her if I'm driving. So lets say the first closest spot is 15 spaces from the front door, but there are no other cars beyond that point, I'll park in space 17 or 18. It only takes a few extra seconds to walk the difference, but she'll just totally throw a fit. Where normally, if I was by myself, I'd park in space number 40 or 50.

This will be getting even worse because now that I've converted my car to a plug-in and I plan to sell and install plug-in kits, I've decided to get my car made up with some really cool looking vinyl decals. (stay tuned for pictures) This should be done next week. So at that point, the car will need to stay constantly washed, and will definitely never be parked where it risks getting dented.

To say nothing of March, when my Nissan Leaf is expected to arrive.. You can be sure I'll be babying that one.

7. ar9080

ar9080 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Drove the CR-Z. Two main problems:

1. SLOW. Definitely feels slower than G3 Prius.

2. Impractical. Worse MPG than Prius and interior space is comparable to a thimble.

8. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I drove an Insight II and a Prius over an identical 30 miles test run (up hills/down hills highway and rural) before deciding which to buy. The Prius got 66 mpg the Insight 54. Went for the Prius.

9. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Ted:
    What was the difference in price between the two auto's Ted? Just curious! Hal

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Until today, I didn't even know CRZ's CAME in hybrid versions.
    :eek:
    But . . . . heading home in the Leaf . . . BOOM . . . . there it was, right in front of me. Took a double take, looking at it from the rear. "What IS that thing .... Gen I insight? ... an EV1 ??" Then I saw the letters on the back telling me what it was:
    [​IMG]
    I haven't read up yet, to see what the EPA claims it gets mpg wise ... and I'm hoping it's mpg is real good, since the thing looked small next to the Leaf.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's disappointing. :/ Per http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm :
    manual: 31 city/37 highway, 34 combined
    CVT: 35 city/39 highway, 37 combined

12. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's a good looking car, but the gas mileage is really disappointing! If I were in the market for a sporty Hybrid, I'd go with the Lexus CT over the CRZ (43 MPG v. 37 MPG + much nicer ride). It's a shame too, because Honda had a fantastic opportunity to really have a winner with the CRZ, and I think they blew it...

13. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Paul, Can you be more specific regarding a "fun car to drive". Did you find the steering, braking and ride more stable? Perhaps a firmer ride?

My family has a history with Honda dating back to my first in 1979. Probably the most memorable was the '81 Civic that was retired at 250,000 miles because of rust, although the head had never been off and the original clutch was fine.

We are considering our first hybrid, thus my interest. Thanks

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. The mileage figures wouldn't be so bad if it actually had more power (a wimpy 122 hp combined) and acceleration. The much larger 5 seater 2011 NAH is 198 hp combined and on Side-by-Side Comparison is rated 33/33, 33 combined (35 city/33 highway, 34 combined for the 07).

When CR last tested the NAH, they did 0-60 mph in 7.6 seconds vs. 9.3 on the CR-Z.

15. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, the Accord Two mode PHEV is the one I'm looking forward to.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    37 - 43 ... wow that's a bummer. Maybe it's time to dust off the Gen I insight.

17. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would compare the ride more to the Civic Coupe EX (my daughter has one), it handles well and does have a much firmer ride than the Prius. I was seriously considering the CRZ, but when I could get the Prius for less, it got much better gas mileage (considering both are hybrids), and had more cargo room, it was tough to convince myself to go for the CRZ. Power wise, I'd say it's comparable to the Prius.

18. Kevin123

Kevin123 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Just drive the car and you will get to know that how smooth is the car is

19. DontTreadOnPrii

DontTreadOnPrii New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I heard from an actual driver that handling is great. That hwy efficiency is 36-37 mpg and that street is 44+ mpg.

I think this car is very interesting. I'm not quick to dismiss it. For one thing, it just looks cool. And I think there's a niche market for a sportscar hybrid. A Prius is more practical--it has four doors and plenty of space. But if I was still driving sportier cars, would I get a Mustang or a CR-Z? I think they would both be on the table, and if I'm about saving gas money, maybe I'd go CR-Z. I'd love to testdrive the CR-Z just for the heck of it.

When is Prius coming out with a sports car?

20. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The main problem with the CR-Z is the weight, coming in at about the same as the 4 door 5 passenger Insight! Shave off a few hundred pounds and you improve both FE and performance! Come on Honda, look into that new fangled aluminum stuff!