1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Test Fit of Wheels on a Prius c

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by kkim, Mar 27, 2012.

1. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I mounted some aftermarket wheels from my Honda FIT onto the c today.

First, the wheels are 6.5x15" with an offset of 40mm. The combined weight of the wheel and a 195/60 tire was 36.5 lbs, some 4 pounds more than the stock c steel wheel and 175 tire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bolt pattern is 4x100... the hub bore of the stock c wheel is 54.7mm vs 56 of the Honda.

Mounted the wheels and checked for rubbing and/or touching by turning the steering wheel from lock to lock and I'm happy to report there were no issues with wheels/tires having interference with the chassis with these wheel and tire specs. I have a c3 and the steering is not the modified ratio that the c4 has so I was doing this test to see what problems would be encountered on a car not designed for the added width of the alloys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some shots with the wheels added and the tires in relation to the fender edges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... and the difference from stock to aftermarket wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car has a much more planted feel and drives better with the extra width and grip, but I can tell the extra weight in the acceleration. Plus, the 195 tires are 2/10" taller than the stock tires, which gears it a smidgen taller. I think a better tire for this car would be a 185/60, LRR.

NDcowPoke, ewaboy and F8L like this.
  2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually like the stock wheels better. The gas mileage will likely be better as well. Especialy ig you can feel the difference in acceleration. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with F8L, the stock wheels look better and will give slightly better mpg's to.

4. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    um, sorry... you guys are missing the point. :rolleyes:

I did this to see if wheels other than the stock alloys that Toyota sells (at a very unreasonable price point) would fit without problems. I know the rims don't match the car, but from the exercise, I now know that a 15x6.5 wheel with a 40mm offset will work and that 195/60 tires are too tall.

On paper, the tires seem to be about the correct size, but when on the car, they are way too big/heavy. I'd be very interested in hearing what the alloy rim/tire combo that Toyota sells really do weigh as well.

There are many other aftermarket wheels in this size and now it's just a matter of finding a suitable lightweight replacement for the car.

NDcowPoke likes this.
  5. Tek55

Tek55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'll be eagerly watching this thread!

Would be interested if anybody has the following rims and can try them out.

Volk CE28N - 8.1 lbs only
    Desmond Rega Master EVO
    Monster Sport Type-R
    Racing Hart CP-035R
    Spoon Sports SW388
    SSR Type-C (called Competitions in the US)
    Volk TE37 Racing
    Sparco Viper R (Japan Only)
    Modex Ks-Ce RS
    Watanabe EightSpoke F8
    Starform Real Racing R2
    Racing Firrenze RF-Pro
    BBS RG F1-Racing (Japan Only)
    BBS RG-FBRIG Magline 5RS
    Watanabe EightSpoke F8-RST

Each is lighter than 10 lbs!

filipinoof07 likes this.
  6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Toyota wants $1,600 extra for the alloy wheels on the "c" from what I see on the web site.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, you failed to mention your point in your first post. :)

The 195/65/15s average about 10revs/mile more than the 175/65/15 so they should be taller. Because the Prius doesn't use a fixed gearing system and the CVT adjusts RPM for load we cannot assume that a taller tire will always offer better mpg like is usually the case with a fixed gear system.

I'm glad you're trying this stuff out and pioneering the way for other c owners. :rockon:

NDcowPoke likes this.
  8. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    yep, just trying to figure out what will work and go from there. Very little info is available, even for the stock alloy wheels that come on the c, let alone aftermarket.

Interesting about the CVT... hadn't thought of that. The wife is driving the car over the same commute today with the wheels and tires on. We'll see how much of a mpg hit occurs.

I figured the thread title was clue that these wheels wasn't going to be a permanent fixture for this car.... my bad. :D

1 person likes this.
  9. Lenwood

Lenwood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    ill bet 2010-11-12 yaris alloys will bolt right on. 4x100 plus a correct offset. correct me if im wrong

10. BrunoPuntzJones

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    I have that same scale :D

11. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    FWIW, I think the rims look great on the C. Makes it look a bit spunkier instead of plain-jane Toyota.

12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see what you were doing now. I called the dealer out of curiosity to see how much they wanted for 15 inch alloys for the C and they wanted $350 per wheel yikes!! Keep us posted.

13. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    With the info gathered from my test fit, I up and ordered some wheels for the c today. They weigh 12lbs per wheel and I'll be using the stock tires for now which weigh 17lbs making the total weight 29lbs per wheel/tire set. The stock wheel and tires weigh 32.5, so I should be saving 3.5 lbs per wheel/tire or a 14lb savings overall. Those that know tires and wheels should know that a savings of 14lbs in unsprung weight is huge. :)

ordered these...
    [​IMG]
    Mazda Performance Parts: Konig Helium 15x6.5 Silver 40mm offset.

filipinoof07 and F8L like this.
  14. Koolfreak

Koolfreak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Koning helium is my first choice too... 15X6.5 VS 15X5... humm... I will wait for feedback before buying...

15. Tek55

Tek55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Nice, please post pics. I was looking at konig rims too. If yours is successful I will probably follow suit lol

16. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    yep, I was looking at lighter wheels, but could not justify paying at least twice as much per wheel for 2 or 3 lbs less weight.

the other wheel I was considering was the Konig lightspeed, but the wife preferred the look of the heliums. It's her car, so we're getting what appeals to her.

[​IMG]

Mazda Performance Parts: NEW Konig LIGHTSPEED 15x6.5, 38mm, just 11.0 pounds! ON SALE!

17. Lenwood

Lenwood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So what is the correct offset with out the wheels and tires sticking out too far? 40 or 38mm?

18. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II

<10lbs... now that's what I'm looking for! I get the point of the post and thanks for the info, but for most ppl, why not just buy lighter/better looking rims that are the same size already on the C so you can just swap tires?

If you're concerned about handling then a C isn't your game in the first place... seems to reason most ppl would want new rims for added style and possibly mpg

19. Tek55

Tek55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm trying to convince my wife that with the 800 dollars I'll save in gas costs the first month I should get lighter rims to further increase the gas savings.

Sadly, I doubt she'll go for the 8lb volk rims at 550 a pop lol despite the 30+ lb reduction!!!

The Konig rims seem like the perfect blend of price, weight reduction, and interchangeability with the stock LRR tires...

Now I can make my pro and con PowerPoint and convince the wife to let me have my toys haha

20. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    either should work. 2mm isn't that significant a difference. If it concerns you, I'd err on the side of 40mm, which I did.

from what I've found, the stock steel wheels are 40mm offset, but don't forget as width increases, "correct" offset changes. that I put a 6.5" width 40et wheel on the car and experinced no rubbing says that the 40mm should work. wife has been driving the car with the wheels on and has had no problems.