1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Testing the Engine Block Heater

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Santiago, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Santiago

Santiago New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    In case you don't want to let your finger(s) poking on the ICE be a "go/no-go" test for your EBH continuing to function properly, hook up a Volt-Amp Meter in series with one of the three prongs on the EBH Cable (not the ground terminal) and your extension to the wall outlet and you should read about 3.32A AC. If you are reading significantly less, you are not generating the specified 400W rating for the core. I have checked my current draw occasionally and find it to be very consistent.:rolleyes:

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think mine worked this year. For the electrically deprived like me, please show a photo of your set up. Or draw a couple of non-geek pictures.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mind explaining how exactly you perform that little trick, without the use of a jumper wire? A lot of folks on this forum are not very well versed in electrical safety, and I would not approve of your method for those who are neophytes to electrical safety

For simple resistive loads, P = V^2/R

Assume the wall voltage is 120 vac, so 120*120 = 14,400

With the block heater cord unplugged, set the voltmeter to ohms, and measure across the live and neutral of the block heater plug on the car. A correct reading should be around 35 ohms, at least it is for my Prius and even my FJ

14,400 / 35 = 411 watts, which is close enough for government work

For under $40 you can pick up a single phase, 120 vac, plug in powermeter. I got one through Manitoba Hydro for $5, some sort of promotion. You can plug in a fridge, freezer, block heater, etc, and determine how much power the device is using

As an example, if I use that cheapie power meter I got, it claims the block heater is using 406 watts. I cannot verify the little device compensates for inductive loads, like a fridge or freezer. Probably not

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you don't mind waiting until tomorrow, I will take a photo of how to measure the resistance at the plug. You can then use the formula above to determine how much power

It's common for the plug to go bad, due to repeated flexing of the stranded wire cordset. You have two options:

1. Chop off the plug, and perhaps 2-4 inches above. Get a new plug and wire it up

2. Replace the entire cordset. It can be a bit difficult to unplug from the block end

Don't forget the basics, check the extension cordset first

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Another device you can buy for testing loads is a "Killawatt". Available on the net, ebay, etc. Just do a search and choose your supplier. ;) This device -will- give you indications of inductive or capacitive loads, as it will display Watts, Volt-Amps, Power Factor, as well as Volts, Amps, and time accumulation power consumption.

This is the only safe way to test the block heater. No exposed voltages, no arcing.

6. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or perhaps a clamp on ammeter.

7. Santiago

Santiago New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I tried jayman's approach (passive versus active) and measured 35.2 ohms by just putting an ohm meter across the two terminals (not the ground) of the three pronged EBH plug. I thought about posting a picture but jayman said he was going to do that. The cheap active approach is to take a Radio Shack 8' or 9' extension (three to the package) and pull back the sleeving somewhere in the middle and break open one of the two non-ground wires. The two ends of this broken wire can then be the insertion point for a multi-meter set to measure AC Amps.

8. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why don't I help those who don't want to slice and dice cables and connectors:D
    For about $25, you can buy a neat meter that can be used around the house rather easily, to check what different equipment like your computer, washer, dryer, EBH draws or when is to buy a KillAWatt meter
    Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

It can show amps, voltage, Hertz, power factor, VA, watts and KWH. Simple to operate and connect:D I bought one, lots of fun around the house and an eye opener.

9. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Waiting for photos!

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've exceeded my 50 MB attachment limit here. Am in the process of setting up an account at an online photo hosting site. Stay tuned

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The cheap one I got from Manitoba Hydro isn't as accurate, compared to my AEMC it's always 5-10% off on the low side. Still, close enough for guvment work!

For example, here is what the gadget claims the amps are when my FJ heater is plugged in

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/jayman_photo/Electrical/DSCF0846.jpg

Here is what the gadget claims the power consumption of my FJ heater is

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/jayman_photo/Electrical/DSCF0848.jpg

It should be closer to around 418 watts, but initially it claims 391 watts. Again, close enough for guvment work

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You still have to split the outer insulating sheath off the extension cord. You can't just clamp it on like this

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/jayman_photo/Electrical/DSCF0852.jpg

or like this

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/jayman_photo/Electrical/DSCF0853.jpg

as the meter will reliably indicate 0.0 amps

The only correct way to measure current with a clamp-on ammeter is like this

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/jayman_photo/Electrical/DSCF0854.jpg

You will notice there were no sparks or arcs flying around while I was digging around inside the panel.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you are "electrically deprived" as you claim to be, then never, ever attempt to put an ammeter inline, as you could electrocute yourself.

Take your DMM (Digital Multi Meter) and set it on ohms. Place the two leads across the plug as follows

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/jayman_photo/Electrical/DSCF0844.jpg

For example, 35 ohms is the reading. To find power = V squared, divided by ohms. Assume 120 vac, close enough for a rough calculation

120 times 120 = 14,400.

14,400 divided by 35 = 411 watts

14. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep, remove the outer insulation from an extension cord. That way, you can properly apply the clamp on ammeter

16. OldYogi

OldYogi New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks -- I hadn't heard this before -- but I knew that in the past few days I was starting cold. I suppose it is due to brittle wires in cold weather. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to avoid this recurring repeatedly?

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sometimes it's best to have the heater plug in the engine bay, plugged into an extension cord that is routed out the grille. That way, you're only out an extension cord if worse comes to worse.

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You've tried flexing the plug with it plugged into the extension cord? Sometimes that will briefly make contact. If you have a power meter plugged in, as I suggested a few posts ago, you will see when it comes to life

19. jason_rock

jason_rock New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are looking for another block heater tester, a company from BC makes one and sells them on ebay for about 20 bucks with free shipping.

just type in "block heater status" tester in ebay.

Jason

20. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The "Kill-a-Watt" is now only $21 Can. Much more useful than a block heater status checker.