1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Texas heat has arrived needed my ac

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Chimi1, May 14, 2024.

1. Chimi1

Chimi1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    Had a small leak that was a charge Mayne 4 Oz a year but this past April it got worse @_@ and lost all refrigerant in a few days that and the smell generated by the evaporator leak left me with no choice, time to replace evaporator and the expansion valve for good measure, it's been years since I did a evaporator and needless to say it really had me on the edge of my nerves so remember to plan ahead and take a few days to get it done without breaking anything, I'm down to one vent bezzle left intact and I set a record for finding extra bolts after the job is done lol, but on a serious note any tips for filling the refrigerant it's acting like a totally different machine now I hear some people say not to set it to max on the temp just one up to 65 so the compressor will cycle any help would be appreciated

20240510_202137.jpg

20240510_202159.jpg

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    There's a resident AC guy on here who should be along any minute I haven't seen him in a while he'll tell you how to drop the whole amount of freon into the vehicle and one shot and that's that I'm assuming you're got capability to pull a vacuum? And once that holds vacuum for 30 minutes or so You're good to go if you have a way to meter the refrigerant. Then you're good to go these things don't take much 1.6 lb or something along those lines and you should be good to go as you see that evaporator was quite stopped up so you should be good for ever more or less. Thank God I haven't had to do this to any of mine yet knock on wood. I have to have AC but I have four cars so one or two could be retired to fall in winter cars some spring driving.

Chimi1 likes this.