1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

texaslorraine and 03 prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by texaslorraine, Jan 22, 2013.

1. texaslorraine

texaslorraine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello. I bought my 03 prius new and have loved it this whole ten years. What I have trouble with are the "mechanics" who care for my car. Apparently they no longer lift the hood and lean over the fender and brainstorm what is making that funny noise. Case in point: I have a grinding? or whirring sound that decreases as I let the motor rev down, ie, coming to a stop sign. I thought it was the electric motor, but sounded like the wheel also. Took it in and the "mechanic" told the manager that my car was too noisey to find out what the sound was. "Mechanic" suggested new wheel hubs at $600 + (w labor) each before he could hear what I am hearing. ??Okay. forget the "mechanics", I just found out how to pull a hub and a decent cost per hub...I like DIY. (I have repacked wheel bearings in the past, but that is so antique). BIG Question...How do I discern if the wheel hub needs replaced? will jacking up and spinning, listening with stethascope do the deed. Please someone let me know. Cannot afford a new Prius this year. o_O