1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Text Messages on Base entune Unit

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by EvanB, Aug 4, 2014.

1. EvanB

EvanB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello,

I have been messing and reading about and just want to clear up a few questions for the car and my Phones.

Can the car link to 2 phones at one time? If not how does it choose what phone to link to?

Can the car read / display incoming text messages? (for iOS, Android 4.4.x?)

Can I using the voice command button dictate a text message? From looking around I would say no, but my $70 2 year old after market unit I had in my gen1 insight could do it, so I am a bit surprised. Maybe next entune software update?

Also my head unit does not like to use the data service on my iOS phone on Vzw, but loves my andorid with t-mo, any one know of restrictions?

2. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At least on the Advanced, at any one time it can be connected to one phone for phone calls and another for the Entune apps. But not two phones at the same time for the same service.
    Yes. When I had a Blackberry, it would also handle each of my e-mail providers in a separate messaging tab.When I went to Android 4.2, I got only one e-mail provider. When I got Android 4.4, it was text messages only. Android may be great for having tons of apps (which is why I switched to Android), but if you want solid messaging support, it is really lame, and I really miss that from my Blackberry.

Not sure, but I thought one could do that?
    I think it depends on which version of iOS you have. Earlier versions required a USB connection; newer ones can use Bluetooth.

3. EvanB

EvanB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you Charles.

Can any one with a base pip headunit send texts?

4. LA2014Prius

LA2014Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have 2014 base pip and iphone 5s. When txt, what's up and other apps notifications come in, nothing happen. No beep, chimes or anything what so ever. Only phone ring and I can pick up the call using bluetooth.

Anyone know why?

5. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is a setting in the nav for "show notifications" which must be on. Note that it will only show for texts (and I believe on mine it also comes up for new mail if you're using the apple mail built in app). It won't show notifications from other apps.

6. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't believe this is possible. My experience: iPhone 5 iOS 7.1.2

7. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, but you can hit the "voice command" button on the PHONE and the Entune will show as if you are on a phone call to yourself. Then you would instruct the phone to write a message, as you would a through a headset.

EvanB likes this.
  8. EvanB

EvanB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is the best I have found so far too, bit of a shame,